Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2018, 12:09 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,155 times

Advertisements

Here's an essay that IMO provides some great insights into the original OP's question (why the CA Rep party is shrinking) and also why the world view of the far right is not attracting adherents:

https://johnpavlovitz.com/2018/08/01...MQou4Gr4sl3cXY

Old 11-27-2018, 01:24 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Here's an essay that IMO provides some great insights into the original OP's question (why the CA Rep party is shrinking) and also why the world view of the far right is not attracting adherents:

https://johnpavlovitz.com/2018/08/01...MQou4Gr4sl3cXY

In a nutshell!

Old 11-27-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
You will from me. I don't care where you're from, if you're here illegally, out you go.

If I were king I'd end H1B Visas, and chain migration, and end anchor babies.

If you want to come here, it has to be legally like my grandparents.

Do you have a lock on your front door?

Except your wife's family, right?

Old 11-27-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Waa, it's not fair. Nobody loves me

How pathetic is your life that you can't fathom that other people made something of themselves? Both Republicans and Democrats

You didn't address my post. You deflected.

Typical.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:44 PM

21,727 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Quote:
Waa, it's not fair. Nobody loves me

How pathetic is your life that you can't fathom that other people made something of themselves? Both Republicans and Democrats
Unless you’re willing to argue that you somehow created yourself before conception and birth - you are a product of your given genetics and environment and experiences.

Apparently, in your case, your environment and experiences did not include lessons for self-reflection on the impossibility of self-creation.

But hey, you’ve got your Bentley so who cares, right?

Old 11-27-2018, 02:00 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
C-D won't let me keep repping you guys.
. Aw, shucks. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical;
I also wonder what the morbid fascination is with illegal immigrants by the far right. A start could be made by issuing temporary work visas (the old bracero model), but there doesn't seem to be much political will to do something. Maybe because actually solving the problem would mean less fodder for the extremist base? Yeah, we have an illegal immigration problem, and not all of it is at the US-Mexican border. I don't hear much indignation from the far right about about Chinese, Russians, Ukrainians and Koreans overstaying their visas and taking good jobs away from citizens, for example. So it seems to me that there is a strong racial component here.
That program exists, but it's said to be so burdened by bureaucratic hoops and obstacles, that it doesn't work well. There's been talk of streamlining it, but so far, it's only talk.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:07 PM

21,915 posts, read 9,486,318 times
More voters at the border right now even as we speak...

Old 11-27-2018, 02:17 PM

250 posts, read 181,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I can't take two steps in Phoenix without running into people who left California over those things. My family left, my in-laws are leaving, my brother and his family are leaving, our mom is leaving, we have several related families who have just left or are planning on leaving...

Some people choose to believe this myth that California is really this great economic engine. Sure, a lot of new arrivals are "high earners"... new employees at Silicon Valley firms, people with huge student loan debt and still can't afford to live there, who are prime candidates to bail in just a few years when they're established in their careers. Meanwhile, their employers are expanding in other states.

I always love the "But CA is the xth largest economy in the world!" line. The biggest guy in the room can have cancer and be dying, while all of the "lesser" folks will be around decades after he's gone.

I am so glad to have left CA in the rear-view mirror. It did nothing but take from me. I'm saving thousands in taxes, living far better, experiencing more freedom... and I get much better roads and water. We're in the middle of a desert, and people are hosing off their driveways and wondering why that's remarkable to us. Meanwhile; wonderful, progressive California burns and yowls about droughts while welcoming in waves of "refugees and immigrants" all eager for a monthly check.

Enjoy your state, Californians.
We left (East Coast). Our friends left, my MIL is leaving,....same reasons as you. ETA: My friends who who left were all 6 figure earners. Same with us.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:25 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times
Someone mentioned former representative Tom Campbell, thinking the California GOP would still be viable if the party had followed his example. However, Campbell lost elections for governor and senator.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:50 PM

3,267 posts, read 3,928,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Except your wife's family, right?
Nope, they were American citizens the day they were born. My father-in-law was born in Spain, and was a Spanish citizen. He faught with the Americans in the Philippines against the Japanese.

He EARNED his citizenship before his children were born. Since he was an American citizen, when his children were born, they were too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California