Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2018, 04:42 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Prop 13 has nothing to do with how much a house cost.
Prop 13 has everything to do with "how much a house cost." The property tax is based on its value at the time of purchase, which is "how much the house cost."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 04:42 PM

605 posts, read 335,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This is pretty common for S Cal. Kids live elsewhere and cannot afford the local economy if they were to move here based on the transfer of job or trade.
Yes, that was akin to our situation.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
However, the fact is Prop 13 benefits those who bought closest to its enactment. That's the nature of it.
But how many 75 year olds are living in that house? If you bought say, in your mid-20s, in right after it was voted in in 1978, it would be highly unlikely that you have remained in that same house all these years. And even if you had, you would have had to have made some major improvements to the home during those 40 years, and those improvements would then have been assessed and added to your property tax bill.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:52 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I agree. Set a reasonable prop tax rate (like 1%) for everyone. As Prop 13 is now, it's "I was here first!!" and to hell with the rest of you.

Idea: impose retroactive Mello Roos taxes on homes built prior to Prop. 13. It seems fair to me if it's fair to new homeowners.

Furthermore, why should family members who buy the house of the original homeowner be grandfathered in re: their prop taxes? Once again, it's the "I was here first !!" cry baby talk.
This is not how Prop 13 works...

Again... length of ownership means nothing under Prop 13.

It is one of those myths that just won't go away

Mello is something entirely different... plenty of homes without Mello and Mello does sunset after a fixed term so even if it was 40 years of Mello... just how would a 1910 900 square feet bungalow relate

Family members is misleading... the only grandfathering is parent/child or grandparent/grandchild if the parent is deceased AND it is not automatic... it must be applied for and requires supporting documentation.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
When you own a home, you need to own the home. There should've been no taxes on it in the first place.
Better figure out a way to pay for street repair, flood control, county parks, the salaries of teachers, police, and fire departments, etc, etc....

Old 12-06-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
That would never happen now in today's political climate. Correct me if I'm wrong (I wasn't around back then), but I assume that property owners had not yet been villainized to the level that we see today (just read any of the dozens of daily anti-real estate owners posts on here to get a taste). The recent nation-wide efforts to turn the have-nots against the haves seem to have instigated this envy culture where anyone who has something of value has a target on their back surrounded by dollar signs. The idea that "I deserve a piece of that" is not just prevalent. It is now the default thanks to our politicians, especially our recently departed messiah.

As long as it's someone else's money, of course.

Also, increasing property taxes is rather short-sighted. Does anyone really think that this wouldn't be passed on as an increase in rent? You think it's expensive getting in now, eliminate prop 13 and enjoy the fall out.
I was too young to vote way back in 1978 but it was certainly a topic of conversation and I was a fly on the wall...

Even if you didn't own property at the time... the aspiration for many was home ownership.

When Prop 13 passed... both my Uncle who was renting at the time and my grade school teacher both saw rent reductions that remained for the rest of their tenancies...

Old 12-06-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
The problem is homes were much more affordable 30 years ago in relation to income levels. Now homes in the same neighborhood will require 8K-10K per year in prop tax alone if someone new moves in. That's impossible for almost anyone but the very well off.

I don't begrudge those who have a good deal. But, let's be honest. That was luck and being in the right place at the right time which resulted in them getting in right at the start of Prop 13.
The luck of being at the right time and right place would be 2009-12... the absolute best time in a generation to buy... and this was only 6 years ago.

Affordable is a term bandied about... I have posted before of the young couple I know... high school sweethearts... first in their families to go to college buying there own single family home at age 25...

It was hard work and determination plus a couple on the same page... no money or silver spoons in either family.

He is African American and she is first generation American... her parents and older brother born in the Philippines...

So how is this possible for two public school kids of modest means... really???

She graduated with her BSRN and went to work at the county Hospital right out of Nursing School... he graduated with Admin of Justice and had several Bay Area Police Departments making offers...

These kids have terrific job security... over 200k income at age 24 plus lots of overtime... fantastic benefits with pensions...

Old 12-06-2018, 05:09 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,328 times
But...but....but....

It's not fair!

I'm smart because I know how to use Google on a smartphone, can get to the last level at any video game, made some cool YouTube videos, and know how to solve all the worlds problems including telling people triple my age how they need to live their lives and spend their money!!!

Where's MY cheap nice house in a desirable location?

It's not fair!

Old 12-06-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:

What the hell are you talking about. We're not talking about war. We're talking about buying a house and paying taxes on it.
Glad to assist here...

My fathers generation and many of those could only buy with the help of the VA... they earned benefits for education and home buying through military service... simple as that.

Guess what... the same option still exist and has been expanded...

One of our under 30 nurses just bought a very nice Town Home in the East Bay... she had a horrible childhood and couldn't wait to get away from an alcoholic father and mother... at 18 she enlisted and through her service became a Registered Nurse... when she left the military she used the VA to buy her Town Home.

People think no one ever walked in their shoes... it may not have been the same path but every generation has to make it own way...

Buyer today are not paying 15% mortgage rates or having to have 3 years in the same line of work and two years with the same employer...

Buyers today don't get yank out of civilian life to go to Vietnam or Korea knowing some will not come back.

This generational warfare has to stop... we have things today that are parents could never imagine... disease that was a death sentence can now be cured...

Unemployment is at record lows...

Old 12-06-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Well, do you expect young people and residents to sit around and get pushed out of their home state because Prop 13 is punishing those starting out to support those who bought 30 years ago? Be serious. Eventually people are going to get fed up having to pay 10K in taxes when their neighbor who inherited a house pays 1K.

With all the special assessments... 27 and counting... no one in my city, Oakland is paying $1000 property tax for a house... even a gift home... it would be closer to 3k...

And I am one that is paying close to 11k for a 1957 1725 square feet original home with 1957 Formica and Lino...

Yet I love my senior neighbors... they are a true blessing and made the neighborhood what it is today... they paid for the many bonds that were retired years ago that I get the benefit of simply by my purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California