Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2019, 02:01 AM

1,203 posts, read 835,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
JJones, yeah, I see you said not all neighborhoods are under Mello Roos levies. So because of this, it's OK to "stick it" to families that want a new home? Not every family wants to live in a house built in the '40s or '50s.
Do provide a link for your disingenuous claim. And do continue to dodge and deflect comments made to you that you obviously can't address (yeah, they don't just go away because you ignore them).

Last edited by JJonesIII; 02-12-2019 at 02:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 12:43 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
JJones, yeah, I see you said not all neighborhoods are under Mello Roos levies. So because of this, it's OK to "stick it" to families that want a new home? Not every family wants to live in a house built in the '40s or '50s.
or the 20's, 30's, 70's etc.

My home built in 1993... no Mello.

It would seem Mello varies by location and not age of property in question.

Some districts. especially Southern CA embrace Mello as the second coming... removes the reality of budget constraints from the mix...

Why should those living in 1950's homes in downhill neighborhoods have to pay for Taj Mahal Fire Houses, Roads, and Schools in neighborhoods they will never see?

Old 02-12-2019, 01:14 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Some districts. especially Southern CA embrace Mello as the second coming... removes the reality of budget constraints from the mix...

Why should those living in 1950's homes in downhill neighborhoods have to pay for Taj Mahal Fire Houses, Roads, and Schools in neighborhoods they will never see?
Yeah, mine was built in 2000 and no Mellos and no HOA as they gave all the streets etc to the city.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:25 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:

I agree, it varies by location it more prevalent in suburban Solano County during the 80's and 90's, than in Contra Costa or Marin Counties. But the reality is that they are just another way to pay impact fees. If the impact fees are $50,000 then homeowners get to pay for them over a period of 20 years, without Mello Roos, the builder jacks up the price of the home by $50,000 and pays for them up front.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yeah, mine was built in 2000 and no Mellos and no HOA as they gave all the streets etc to the city.

Mr. Doug seems to be clueless as to how Mello-Roos works, even though he loves to rant about it. I have no idea where he got the idea that homes built after the 50's were all Mello-Roos (as his comment implies). There are specific districts that are given the designation.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:00 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Right. And it prices out the young families who were born and raised in California. No one can buy now except the very high income earners. Newcomers can pay the "voluntary" tax but locals are screwed because people who bought at the start of PROP 13 are getting an enormous benefit on the backs of young people.

Does it seem reasonable that a local family buying their first house in Temecula with two people in their early 30's are paying the same in Prop Tax as their parents in Encinitas with a 1.5M house? Prop 13 in its current form is effectively driving locals out of California.
Correct.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:43 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
I've posted before of High School Sweethearts that married at 24... they waited until they both graduated college and the first in their families to do so.

She is Nurse and he is a police officer... her family is from the Philippines and his is African American.

The both worked very hard and had jobs waiting... no silver spoons and said education first, marriage, by a house in the SF Bay Area and then kids...

NO silver spoons in the family...

Plus they have fantastic benefits and retirement...

I work with a lot of RN's and they are all buying homes by 30... and all are very disciplined...

Old 02-12-2019, 03:48 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,808 times
Quote:
I've posted before of High School Sweethearts that married at 24...
Hard work and delayed gratification is for chumps. You know. "It's not fair".

It's easier if not more fun to simply confiscate it from those who worked for it and/or are grandfathered in. Also, if for no other reason than spite and envy, as many of the replies in this discussion make abundantly clear.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:59 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Correct.
Nope, they need to work and make enough to buy, as their parents did. No one deserves to own a home or live in CA. They earn it.

Prop 13 has nothing to do with it or people would not be buying today and paying the high taxes based on the sale price. Eliminating Prop 13 would not drop te overall cost of a home at all, just hurt older home owners In fact taxes would go up and ... the same people who can buy, would; and the same people who can't, wont. Reality.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Nope, they need to work and make enough to buy, as their parents did. No one deserves to own a home or live in CA. They earn it.

Prop 13 has nothing to do with it or people would not be buying today and paying the high taxes based on the sale price. Eliminating Prop 13 would not drop te overall cost of a home at all, just hurt older home owners In fact taxes would go up and ... the same people who can buy, would; and the same people who can't, wont. Reality.
ExpatCA, c'mon! Where you been, man? That the standard line...don't ya know?. They have a list of cure-alls that will make their dreams come true. It's all Prop 13's fault, so it needs to be abolished so the top 5% and higher can move in, and everyone should be living in 500sf homes (because that's how everyone wants to live)

What's this hard work stuff you and UR are talking about? What's fair about that? Throw the old folks to the curb. They've lived long enough! No need for the newcomers to have to follow the same rules everyone before them has had to follow. They deserve special treatment.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 02-12-2019 at 07:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California