Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2021, 05:33 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,463,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Could you do us a favor and point out the race factor in either one of those props? Thanks in advance.
Prop 16: Racist

Prop 19: Ageist

"Perhaps there is no better encapsulation of the “progressive” California Boomer mentality—no huger middle-finger to White Millennial citizens of California– than the significant minority of voters who did in fact follow the California Democratic Party’s recommendation by voting “yes” on both propositions 16 and 19."

https://www.unz.com/article/white-mi...rificial-lamb/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 05:41 PM

50,283 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Prop 16: Racist

Prop 19: Ageist

"Perhaps there is no better encapsulation of the “progressive” California Boomer mentality—no huger middle-finger to White Millennial citizens of California– than the significant minority of voters who did in fact follow the California Democratic Party’s recommendation by voting “yes” on both propositions 16 and 19."

https://www.unz.com/article/white-mi...rificial-lamb/
Prop 16 was mercifully defeated by a diverse and democratic leaning electorate but bankrolled by billionaire donors, most of whom were White Boomers

This is getting really confusing.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Prop 16 was mercifully defeated by a diverse and democratic leaning electorate but bankrolled by billionaire donors, most of whom were White Boomers

Yes, prop 16 was backed by many boomer billionaire/media CEOs while younger people of color are calling for pan-enclavism as an alternative to Affirmative Action:

https://robertstark.substack.com/p/c...-pan-enclavism

Old 06-29-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:

Prop 16 Vote:

Source: Wikipedia

How LA Voted:

Green = majority non-White where prop 16 passed
Blue = majority White where prop 16 passed
Yellow= majority non-White where prop 16 failed
Red = majority White where prop 16 failed

Source: https://www.unz.com/article/explorin...tion-analysis/

In depth map of how the Bay Area voted:

https://electionmapsf.com/?county=SFO&election=11-2020

Old 06-30-2021, 01:15 PM

29 posts, read 28,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesly View Post
Ditto.
Stay in your home for 15 years and your neighbors will be saying this about you.

If people stayed in their homes for 30 years like we did, reassessments wouldn't be an issue. It seems to me, and this is just my impression, that today's young first time homebuyers are never satisfied to stay in their average 3 bd / 2 bath <2000 sq ft home. They have the "I wants".

I physically cringed recently when we saw one of the "Love it or List it" shows and the young couple says "Only 3500 sq ft? That's too small, we NEED 4 bedrooms so there is room for Lily to play" (They had 1 child...)
Well, to be fair... those young first time homebuyers (below top 2-5% wealth) are not going to be buying an 'average' 3bd/2ba <2000sq ft home in most major California metros in the first place since that would be 900k-1 mil+ for anything above 1600sq ft.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:09 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairbdes View Post
Well, to be fair... those young first time homebuyers (below top 2-5% wealth) are not going to be buying an 'average' 3bd/2ba <2000sq ft home in most major California metros in the first place since that would be 900k-1 mil+ for anything above 1600sq ft.
Maybe that's true in urban areas, i.e. San Francisco, San Jose or parts of So Cal but it's pretty easy to find a decent house for 400k or less in Sacramento, Fresno and a number of other places

https://www.nar.realtor/research-and...rtgage-payment

If you doubt me, check Trulia or one of the other RE sites.

Old 06-30-2021, 03:34 PM

29 posts, read 28,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Maybe that's true in urban areas, i.e. San Francisco, San Jose or parts of So Cal but it's pretty easy to find a decent house for 400k or less in Sacramento, Fresno and a number of other places

https://www.nar.realtor/research-and...rtgage-payment

If you doubt me, check Trulia or one of the other RE sites.
Yes, but I'm just talking about most major metros. That's most of Southern California, including San Diego nowadays. Sure they can always move to the smaller cities, but I don't think anyone young in California is out there with the "I wants" that he's describing unless they're totally disconnected from reality.

Old 06-30-2021, 04:03 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times
You can also buy a very reasonably priced home up in Susanville.

Whether you can find a suitable job up there is a different question, and if you can't work from home, it's a loooooong commute.

Old 07-01-2021, 11:31 AM

316 posts, read 131,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
You can also buy a very reasonably priced home up in Susanville.

Whether you can find a suitable job up there is a different question, and if you can't work from home, it's a loooooong commute.
Exactly this. It goes hand in hand, you're not going to find an abundance of business and jobs in those cheaper areas. Even here in SoCal, people tend to commute from OC and inland empire to LA for work. Homes in the once cheap Corona, Eastvale etc. are now getting close to $1MM and still have the 1hr+ commute towards LA. This is the norm, someone will respond with the one outlier as proof that it's not.

Old 07-01-2021, 11:50 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visual_snacks View Post
Exactly this. It goes hand in hand, you're not going to find an abundance of business and jobs in those cheaper areas. Even here in SoCal, people tend to commute from OC and inland empire to LA for work. Homes in the once cheap Corona, Eastvale etc. are now getting close to $1MM and still have the 1hr+ commute towards LA. This is the norm, someone will respond with the one outlier as proof that it's not.
I will, I will!

Yeah, you can still find repos (mostly in pretty serious fixer-upper condition) out in the desert in the $100k range. And you can find decent homes in the SoCal desert in the $250k range (frex, most recent sale of my old place). And you can still buy a couple acres out by Rosamond for $20k and start from scratch. (Buyer beware; there are piles of reasons why that's not done more often, especially in L.A. County, where if it doesn't already have power and water, you're screwed, and the building permits will give you sticker shock.) BUT it's a long commute and a long way from everything, and most local jobs are part time at minimum wage, and not everyone can adapt to the desert... and it's sure not what most people had in mind when they were looking for their SoCal dream home.

Outliers always exist, but they don't drive the market, and they're certainly not good benchmarks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California