Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 08:17 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times

Advertisements

From the LA Times:

Proposed ballot measure would cut California's inherited property tax breaks

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-...203-story.html

So a democrat wants to begin the dismantling of prop 13. Who would have guessed that was coming?

Step 1, eliminate prop 13 for inherited property

Step 2, eliminate prop 13 for industrial property

Step 3, anybody want to guess what's next?

Why do the democrats hate the middle class so much?

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 03-24-2019 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: title change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 08:35 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
There isn't a tax increase Californians won't vote for as evidenced in the last election. I can't believe it. All the waste , fraud, inefficiency, abuse of goverment. People just throw their money away by voting for tax increases while complaining about the high cost of living here.

Prop 13 helps because thats a big tax expense, I suppose some time the stupid voters will take that away. You dumb vote against your own self interest. I'm glad I'm old

When prop. 13 goes there will absolutely be no reason for anyone but deadbeats or the very rich to come to or stay in California.

Last edited by V8 Vega; 12-04-2018 at 09:07 AM..

Old 12-04-2018, 10:40 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
So the article says(please read it before posting) if an heir inherits a house in CA ( gets it for free) and doesn’t occupy it within a year the property gets reassessed to reflect its current value. I have no problem with that as a republican. It’s a transfer of ownership!

Old 12-04-2018, 11:07 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Prop 13 is just rent control for homeowners.

I would much rather prop 13 be done away with completely and property tax lowered across the board. Everyone should pay the same rate.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:12 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times
Kids who inherit a property that they can afford to keep without living in it are not "middle class" in any book.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:15 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

I would much rather prop 13 be done away with completely and property tax lowered across the board. Everyone should pay the same rate.
I disagree. Newcomers should pay more, that's how we encourage measured gentrification in desirable areas while at the same time preventing seniors and other types of lower-income locals from being displaced so rapidly that it destabilizes the local social structure.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:15 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:

How would the removal of Prop 13 lower property taxes across the board? Keep in mind that Prop 13 came into existence because property taxes were too high across the board.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I disagree. Newcomers should pay more, that's how we encourage measured gentrification in desirable areas while at the same time preventing seniors and other types of lower-income locals from being displaced so rapidly that it destabilizes the local social structure.
How can you in once sentence say the high tax rates are good and then in the next day they are bad?

If the tax rates are too high then lower them for everyone; not put the entire burden on a group that has the least ability to pay (new young home buyers)

Old 12-04-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
How would the removal of Prop 13 lower property taxes across the board? Keep in mind that Prop 13 came into existence because property taxes were too high across the board.
Easy, lower property tax rate.

How can you make the argument the rate is too high for some but not too high for first time home buyers who end up paying the highest rate.

I don’t feel sorry for someone sitting in a 1.5 million dollar home paying 3k a year in property taxes when a young couple is trying to afford a 500k home and paying 10k a year in property taxes.

I am currently a homeowner and benefit from prop 13 but that doesn’t stop me from speaking the truth. Prop 13 is rent control for homeowners. I’m against rent control and I’m against prop 13.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:57 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Easy, lower property tax rate.

How can you make the argument the rate is too high for some but not too high for first time home buyers who end up paying the highest rate.

I don’t feel sorry for someone sitting in a 1.5 million dollar home paying 3k a year in property taxes when a young couple is trying to afford a 500k home and paying 10k a year in property taxes.

I am currently a homeowner and benefit from prop 13 but that doesn’t stop me from speaking the truth. Prop 13 is rent control for homeowners. I’m against rent control and I’m against prop 13.
Easy to lower Property tax rate? Why would the public employee unions and the government want to lower property tax rate? Call your government representatives and ask them if they would lower property tax rate if Prop 13 went away. Just because it's something you make up out of the blue to support your argument, it doesn't translate into reality.

Everyone pays the same rate. The amount depends on the price of the property. Blame the price and the market, not Prop 13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California