Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 09:19 PM

237 posts, read 411,188 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Was continuing my online search for what to buy a home. Hit on the Shasta/Redding area.

Was wondering what life there is like, but don't see a forum that I believe covers that region.

Your thoughts and experiences? Pros, cons, other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 09:24 PM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
HOT HOT HOT. Summers last 6 months, and they're in the 90's and 100's nearly the entire time. Take a look at the climate websites for Redding. Redding used to be a nice town, back 60 years ago or so, when it wasn't so hot, and when there wasn't a homeless problem, etc.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-10-2018 at 10:21 PM..

Old 12-10-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
HOT HOT HOT. Summers last 6 months, and they're in the 90's and 100's nearly the entire time. Take a look at the climate websites for Redding. Redding used to be a mice town, back 60 years ago or so, when it wasn't so hot, and when there wasn't a homeless problem, etc.
Really, out there? What sort of homeless problem do they have there?

Have lived in S. Az, so heat is OK by me. Prefer it to snow. As one friend says... "I don't have to shovel sunshine", LOL!

Old 12-10-2018, 10:22 PM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post

Have lived in S. Az, so heat is OK by me. Prefer it to snow. As one friend says... "I don't have to shovel sunshine", LOL!

Interesting. Well, Redding might work out for you, then. But they had a fire there not long ago. Be mindful of fire risk, due to drought and extreme heat.

OP, look up past threads on Redding. There have been several, one just recently. Just type "Redding" into the "search forums" window.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:37 PM

38 posts, read 63,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post

Google Redding Ca Homeless Population and you'll get an idea of how it is here. Even better, Google Redding Crime 2.0 Facebook for an even better look at what you will face here in Redding. We're setting records with crime, car thefts, sex offenders, you name it.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:55 AM

34 posts, read 47,719 times
I have lived in several different places and I would put Redding as the worse experience. I should of got something was wrong with the place when I meant initially with a Real Estate person that said, "we stay busy with so many people moving to Redding and then move out within a year or two!" I have lived in California from the South to the North. And I would say 9 out of 10 people you speak to from CA. and Redding gets brought up say, "I don't like it - or that is an ugly, HOT or dry place - or that Shasta Lake is nice until they release the water by the end of the Summer and it shrinks down showing much of the bottom."

Old 12-11-2018, 08:52 PM

86 posts, read 266,414 times
OP, you put "Shasta/Redding" area, and others have given you an idea of what Redding is like (and I agree mostly), but Mt Shasta is a totally different world. It's one of my favorite towns in terms of community feel, access to outdoors, weather, and size (small). If you're okay with a smaller town and manage to find a job that supports you, then I highly recommend. But... you will have to shovel snow during the winter.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:34 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Do a search for Redding and my handle NoMoreSnowForMe. I've written a lot about living there. You'll find other posts and threads, too, by searching "Redding" in the CA forums.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:07 PM

Thanks for the responses so far.

Had no idea Redding was having problems... or that Shasta was a night-and-day difference.

Much appreciated.

I'll do some of those searches listed above.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:38 PM

86 posts, read 266,414 times
Sorry, I think I assumed too much. I was only speaking about Mt Shasta, which is about 45min to the north. There is a small town called just Shasta, which is close to Redding, although quite different in feel. And then there's Shasta Lake which is sort of like a northern extension of Redding. Don't know anything about Shasta Lake though, as I've never had any reason to stop there. Maybe that says something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California