Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 09:22 AM

3,271 posts, read 3,932,639 times

Advertisements

These three kids are sitting around talking, and the first kid says, "My dad is so fast, he can shoot an arrow down range and run down there to see where it lands".

The second little kid says, "That's nothing, my dad is so fast that when he goes to sleep at night and turns off the lights, he can be in bed before the room gets dark".

The third little kid says, "I got all you guys beat. My dad works for cal trans. He's so fast that when he gets off of work at 4:30, he's home by 2:15".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 11:47 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,808 times
Some roads here in Tulare County are literally undrivable with anything but a 4WD/Offroad vehicle because they are so badly pockmarked and in beyond decrepit condition. But that was the case long before Prop 6 came around.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:41 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,598 times
I've seen plenty of road work going on around here. Maybe you're just not looking hard enough

Old 12-12-2018, 06:08 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Midwest deals with freezes, snow, ice, etc. Different.

California is comparable to states that don't go through severe weather. I'll tell you when I drive from California to Florida, California had some of the worst roads. When I lived in San Francisco I remember SFGATE even had an article showing the road conditions are so poor that it costs the average drive $300-400 more per year in road related car expenses compared to the national average. Maybe this sense of denial is why politicians get away with it in California. Expense gas, high taxes, high fees and below average roads.
Well if $400 is going to break your budget you should move to Europe where public transport is free. Never mind that gas is $9 a gallon and anything purchased has a 25% sales tax. But (seriously) free health care is a plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I saw a half dozen Cal Trans workers standing around not working. This is what the gas and car tax money goes for.
OK here is how it works. Having worked on a county road crew in my younger years. Those half dozen guys are on standby. The two guys you see working are doing the prep work. Then when the heavy lifting is needed all eight jump in and the job gets finished in an hour or two instead of three days. Would you prefer a lane is closed for two hours or three days?

Old 12-12-2018, 06:12 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Well if $400 is going to break your budget you should move to Europe where public transport is free. Never mind that gas is $9 a gallon and anything purchased has a 25% sales tax. But (seriously) free health care is a plus

OK here is how it works. Having worked on a county road crew in my younger years. Those half dozen guys are on standby. The two guys you see working are doing the prep work. Then when the heavy lifting is needed all eight jump in and the job gets finished in an hour or two instead of three days. Would you prefer a lane is closed for two hours or three days?
Oh *snap*

Old 12-12-2018, 06:40 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

It's not that $400 is going to make or break you, it's that it shows you how poor the road conditions are in a state that taxes and fees the most (up there anyways). Making excuses is why politicians don't care. They just fund their pensions, say yes to whatever quote they get, basically waste the money because its residents are always eager to say YES MORE TAXES!

Not to mention with a state like California with so many homeless and people in poverty... to say $400 is nothing to care about on top of high gas, high tax, high fees is typical elitism.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:46 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I saw a half dozen Cal Trans workers standing around not working. This is what the gas and car tax money goes for.
Better then the 5 fwy. I never see any any caltrans workers there. Even when they were supposed to be there pretending to work before the proposition failed

Old 12-12-2018, 07:51 PM

914 posts, read 642,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Liberals never met a tax they didn't love, whether it was useful or not. In California, taxes and accomplishing what the taxes were meant for have little in common.
Yes, I couldn't agree more.

I'm all for paying taxes for services that benefit the taxpayers. My problem is with poor management of the money they were already raking in. Where is that going? If it were managed well, and if they weren't threatening to give healthcare to illegal immigrants courtesy of the California Taxpayer, I'd be okay with it. I want something for the money and I wanted a voice in the matter.

The precedence has now been set though. The Governor's pen is stronger than ever in this liberal oasis and that bothers me. Everyone knows the tax money will be spent or shared on the train to nowhere, but that's another thread.

Mismanaged our money again? Oh that's okay, just sign for another tax. Voters really need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:55 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
Yes, I couldn't agree more.

I'm all for paying taxes for services that benefit the taxpayers. My problem is with poor management of the money they were already raking in. Where is that going? If it were managed well, and if they weren't threatening to give healthcare to illegal immigrants courtesy of the California Taxpayer, I'd be okay with it. I want something for the money and I wanted a voice in the matter.

the precedence has now been set. The Governor's pen is stronger than ever in this liberal oasis and that bothers me. Everyone knows the tax money will be spent or shared on the train to nowhere, but that's another thread.

mismanage money? that's okay, just sign us up for another tax. Voters really need to wake up and smell the coffee.
Did you get a say in the trillions of dollars of increased national debt Trump signed in with his pen? Pretty sure he’s not a liberal. Nor the House and Senate that passed approval as well.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:59 PM

914 posts, read 642,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Did you get a say in the trillions of dollars of increased national debt Trump signed in with his pen? Pretty sure he’s not a liberal. Nor the House and Senate that passed approval as well.
but that was FOR THE AMERICAN TAXPAYER. We're getting something for it. Get it? Trump isn't giving stuff away to leaches who contribute nothing or ill-managed projects going nowhere, he's doing it for the American Taxpayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California