Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 10:05 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,779,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Your data is old. The Census Data is the most recent. California's education system is on a downward spiral.

Census data here:
https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...prodType=table
SHHHHhhhhhhh..... don't confuse him with actual, you know, data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 10:05 AM

21,564 posts, read 16,062,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The resident of Montana is also a former resident of California.
Btw: the resident of Montana left California nearly 40 years ago ... and can’t stop trashing my home.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
SHHHHhhhhhhh..... don't confuse him with actual, you know, data.
Speaking of “data”, Sport:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyChrono View Post
CA has been dead last or close to last in this regard for many years. Playing with the tables a bit we can see that:

- Non-Hispanic Whites, Blacks, and Asians in CA all score higher than the national average in both High School and College degrees.

- Pacific Islander and Two or More mixed race are roughly at the national average.

- Native American and Latinos are below the national average.

Thus, it looks like it's ultimately an immigration issue with ESL students skewing the average. If you need further evidence of this, Texas is second to last with a mere 0.3% higher High School graduation rate (and much lower college graduate score), and not surprisingly it also has a lot of immigrants.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:16 AM

8,265 posts, read 2,886,636 times
Anyone that's lived in the state for decades sees the contrast. The state has gone to hell in so many ways. Not many other places in the country where you get less bang for your buck and more traffic, trash, crime, homeless, taxes....

Jerry Brown and those that elected him deserve what they are getting. Conservatives will continue fleeing the state. Adios California.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:25 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,260,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
So with all of these uneducated people how does CA manage to have the fifth largest economy in the world?
Geographical luck. The coast and ports are the gateway to the rest of the US.

Also the majority of the people are working class supporting those businesses, making money and profits for the companies.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Anyone that's lived in the state for decades sees the contrast. The state has gone to hell in so many ways. Not many other places in the country where you get less bang for your buck and more traffic, trash, crime, homeless, taxes....

Jerry Brown and those that elected him deserve what they are getting. Conservatives will continue fleeing the state. Adios California.
Oh darn

Old 12-21-2018, 12:37 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,126,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Most, if not all, basic, foundational skills acquired through education, are acquired in elementary school. Definitely by 9th grade. After that there is plenty more available to learn ... but mostly all can be “learned” many ways, including ‘on the job.’

If a person’s objective is an education - let alone personal skills of behavior and character - prescriptive schooling past elementary / middle-school is not a very stimulating or efficient way to go about it.

If a person’s objective is to compete for a job with the kind of employer who prescriptively requires a diploma - well, obviously, you need to go about getting your diploma ... which is not necessarily (and often not) the same as becoming truly educated.

Both my sons work (very successfully) in the building trades. They both have high school diplomas. But those diplomas were not required for them to be hired and trained.

I learned a lot more in HS then elementary. You also learn how to socialize with peers, play team sports, develop study skills. I can see you wouldn't know that since you never went....

I don't know many employers who will hire a HS drop out. People don't like quitters. If nothing else take the GED test and pass it. A lot of doors slam shut for drop outs understandingly.. only losers would make their life more difficult because they were lazy and quitters or on drugs etc.

Last edited by Finper; 12-21-2018 at 01:44 PM..

Old 12-21-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I learned a lot more in HS then elementary. You also learn how to socialize with peers, play team sports, develop study skills. I can see you wouldn't know that since you never went....

I don't know many employers who will hire a HS drop out. People don't like quitters. If nothing else take the GED test and pass it. A lot of doors slam shut for drop outs understandingly.. only loser would make their life more difficult because they were lazy and quitters or on drugs etc.
I don’t agree you learned more essential skills in HS than elementary. Once the basic language skills are acquired, everything else is acquired through motivation and can be absorbed any number of ways and places.

Socializing in elementary, and younger, is more foundational than the cliques of HS. Study skills start at very young age.

I went most of the way through 11th grade. Bored the hell out of me. The studies, and the socializing both. Waste of my inquisitiveness and energies. I went to work in a graphics arts / print shop ... with adults. Learned trade skills and how to behave with mature people rather than dorky shallow teen competitiveness. Showed when I entered military service just before 18 and advanced quickly.

Nothing wrong with GED. Right. Good idea for a drop out. But really doesn’t mean that much. When I worked in two college / university print shops after I switched to reserves, I was allowed to take courses for free ... but the admissions office said only audit ... not transferrable credits ... because I didn’t have a HS diploma. Alternatively, they offered I could take what were called CLEP tests for college credit equivalancies. In 5 hours of tests I earned a little over 2 years of college credits in English, Philosophy, Logic, Art History, and some others. But I didn’t care to go for a degree because I had a good trade and no interest in anything requiring a college diploma. Waste of my time.

But it ain’t hard. I’m not of the opinion that I have some greater innate intelligence that the average Joe. Just a freer attitude about life.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:40 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,993,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I went most of the way through 11th grade. Bored the hell out of me. The studies, and the socializing both. Waste of my inquisitiveness and energies.
It's always the same story from dropouts. "I was just bored and school was a waste of my talents" or whatever variation of that nonsense they want to spew out. It fools no one. Every drop out I ever met says the same story and it's always glaringly obvious they were lazy and just didn't want to do the work required.

The fact is high school and college is not just rote memorization and teaches you to think. I went through two undergrads and a masters. Very few of my upper level undergrad and none of my masters was memorization or boring. The entire point of it was to teach you how to think, gather information, and learn how to apply the concepts of the class. It was far from a waste of time. I have no idea how anyone could seriously justify not getting an education or deem it not important and a waste of time.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:27 PM

1,994 posts, read 4,842,027 times
Every state has uneducated people,but California also has a lot of people with the Brightest Minds and Hard Workers too...Look at what California has achieved.

1) The Largest Economy in the Country.... State GDP is approaching 3 Trillion $U.S.

2) 5th Largest Economy in the World....To put this in a different perspective,California currently has a Larger Economy than Canada or Mexico,and every other country in Central America and South America,Russia,India,Australia and the entire continent of Africa.

3) California created 3 World Renowned Cities...L.A,San Francisco and San Diego.

4) California created America's 2nd Largest City.

5) California created one of the Largest Agricultural Region in the Country and the World.

6) California's Innovations have changed the Modern World we live in,and California has influenced the World in many ways.

7) California has the most best Universities in the Country.

For an Uneducated State,the people here in California sure have achieved much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California