Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 02:12 PM

10 posts, read 10,960 times

Advertisements

My husband is a Cable Technician and we are planning on relocating somewhere other than here. We are native coastal Californians who aren't big on summer heat or ocean tourists. We are searching the entire USA because he is able to transfer and keep his California pay. But because he is so worried about working in the snow it's really limiting our options and we are trying to find somewhere we can buy a 3bdrm house for under $125,000. He is not opposed to snow on the contrary we are pretty excited about it. We have two boys and we can't afford to stay here where we have been born and raised.
Any hoots, he asked me to ask around about what others think about working outside in the snow and ice? I'm mean he has to climb poles, ladders, drive long distances, and crawl into crawl spaces. Here where we live he'll go into attic's where it's 109 degrees Fahrenheit outside with no air conditioning, then climb poles with 30 mph winds, rain, and thunder. I'm mean there are cable techs all over who work in all kinds of weather, right??? Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 08:01 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,555 times
I was a cable technician working in the San Francisco bay area in the late 90's and early 2000's.

California is probably the best place to do this work as the climate is the friendliest in the mainland US that I can think of.

I would list the next best places weather wise to do this job and have 3 bed homes in that range would be (in no particular order):

* Oklahoma
* New Mexico
* Nevada
* Arizona
* Georgia
* Texas
* Arkansas
* South Carolina
* Florida
* Louisiana
* Alabama
* Tennessee

In each of the places you will have to look at the average temps etc in different cities as the climates can change drastically in one part of a state to another (especially in a big state like Texas).

Most of the states I listed deal with some high heat of some sort but better to do that job in the heat than extreme cold in my opinion. Would just need to be more aware of heat related fatigue and not to stay in attics as long (take more breaks).

Hope this gives you something to go on.

Last edited by Texas Minded; 12-31-2018 at 08:12 AM..

Old 01-01-2019, 12:20 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,555 times
Realized I didn't answer your question about working in snow / ice.

I mentioned that I wouldn't want to do it... but yes, people do this work in the cold. I can only imagine how miserable I would be doing it in a place like Chicago, Cleveland or Minneapolis in January though.

Now, places with some snow and cold but not to the extreme... I could do it. A couple places I can think of like that are:

* East Washington State (Spokane)
* Southern Colorado

I know those 2 are kind of random but are the first that came to mind.

Bottom line is this, utilize a site like the following to research climates and you can make a good decision :

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...s-seasonal.php

Old 01-01-2019, 04:07 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
"then climb poles with 30 mph winds"....try it at 20 below with wind chill. I remember my manager coming to find me up a pole in that weather, and telling me I could stop outside work for the day....North Arkansas....you can scratch that off your list.

Look at Southern VA.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-01-2019, 04:16 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlafm View Post
My husband is a Cable Technician and we are planning on relocating somewhere other than here. We are native coastal Californians who aren't big on summer heat or ocean tourists. We are searching the entire USA because he is able to transfer and keep his California pay. But because he is so worried about working in the snow it's really limiting our options and we are trying to find somewhere we can buy a 3bdrm house for under $125,000. He is not opposed to snow on the contrary we are pretty excited about it. We have two boys and we can't afford to stay here where we have been born and raised.
Any hoots, he asked me to ask around about what others think about working outside in the snow and ice? I'm mean he has to climb poles, ladders, drive long distances, and crawl into crawl spaces. Here where we live he'll go into attic's where it's 109 degrees Fahrenheit outside with no air conditioning, then climb poles with 30 mph winds, rain, and thunder. I'm mean there are cable techs all over who work in all kinds of weather, right??? Thanks for your input.
I was a cable technician for awhile and I can assure you that working outdoors in a winter climate is an utter freaking nightmare. He may want to rethink his willingness to move to a cold climate.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:20 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
I’m not sure that working in 90* heat with 70% humidity is any fun either. Finding a house for under $125k is going to land you in a crap neighborhood no matter what state you pick

Old 01-01-2019, 09:41 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
I suggest you try Burlington Vermont. The winters are beautiful. And the city of festivals is just right over the northern Border, Montreal.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:13 AM

"Finding a house for under $125k is going to land you in a crap neighborhood no matter what state you pick".....I think you need to get out and travel/explore more.

I found a 2700 sq ft 2 story home on 2 acres in a small town. Hardwood floors throughout, attic, basement. 9.5' ceilings, 3 fireplaces, metal roof, steel I beams in the basement ....$90K. Sure I was lucky, but deals like that are out there.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-02-2019, 04:42 PM

8,336 posts, read 2,963,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Finding a house for under $125k is going to land you in a crap neighborhood no matter what state you pick".....I think you need to get out and travel/explore more.

I found a 2700 sq ft 2 story home on 2 acres in a small town. Hardwood floors throughout, attic, basement. 9.5' ceilings, 3 fireplaces, metal roof, steel I beams in the basement ....$90K. Sure I was lucky, but deals like that are out there.

Regards
Gemstone1

I think they're looking for a place with running water, electricity, and relatively low crime rates.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
I think they're looking for a place with running water, electricity, and relatively low crime rates.
Have anything of value to add to the conversation ?

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.