Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 12:10 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Does Sacramento have killer authentic Chinese and Korean food? Nope. Irvine does--several chains actually come from China or Taiwan itself. Little Sheep Hot Pot, 85 degrees C bakery, Kingchops, Meizhou Dongpo Sichuanese Restaurant, and Meetfresh, the Taiwanese desert place.
Sounds like you haven’t made an attempt to find these places in Sacramento. Sac has a few dozen Korean restaurants, most of them on Folsom Blvd which is their Koreatown. I would definitely call them “authentic” and many “killer.” (My fave is Pine Tree House.) We make it a point to go out there every time we visit Sac.

I haven’t tried Chinese food in Sacramento (and honestly you should know better than to go to Sac’s Chinatown for the best), but a quick Yelp search shows both a 85 Degrees C and Little Sheep Hot Pot in Sacramento.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 05:22 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,630,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
This is an odd comparison. Mid-sized city vs large expensive suburb in a gigantic metro area. I’d prefer Sac since I prefer cities (and it’s much cheaper). Irvine is too expensive, too OC, and just far enough away from LA to not be accessible on a regular basis.
It's a troll thread by a disgruntled transplanted Sacramentan and everyone else took the bait...

Old 01-13-2019, 05:54 AM

37,147 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
It's a troll thread by a disgruntled transplanted Sacramentan and everyone else took the bait...
Meh, still an interesting comparison because of the strong contrast between the heart of a smaller metro or an affluent ethnoburb of the second largest metro.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:19 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
The thing that is cool about Irvine is that it is really insulated from poverty, as is South OC in general.

In Sac city, pretty much no matter where you are, you are never more than a couple miles drive from sketchy areas.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:29 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
From this thread, we can clearly tell that Sacramento is overrated while Irvine is underrated.

Look, Wizard of Radical and I are not coastal California snobs looking down on the rest of the nation. There was a thread pitting Phoenix against Sacramento. We both vouched for Phoenix over Sacramento. If ever there was a city in the Western US mercilessly bashed by coastal elites, it is Phoenix. So our dislike of Sacramento has nothing to do with us being coastal elites.

For me, I just don't like Sacramento summer weather. And no, it's not because I'm a Southern Californian spoiled by coastal California's very mild summers, nor is it because I have never visited the Eastern US so I have no idea that the Eastern US has hotter summers than Sacramento.

I have spent two months during the summer in New Orleans (tied with the likes of Miami and Houston as the muggiest city in the U.S.), been to Hong Kong three times during the summer, for a total time of three months during the summer, and been to Bangkok during the muggiest time of year in Bangkok. All of these places have very pleasant summers compared to Sacramento and just the Central Valley in general. I don't mind humidity. It's the total lack of summer rain and the very dry air that makes you itchy all over and makes everything you touch have static that bothers me. That is Sacramento in the summer, and why I dislike Sac summers.

Last edited by MrJester; 01-13-2019 at 11:38 PM..

Old 01-14-2019, 09:12 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
I don't hate Sac, but I am not going to prop it up as something it is not.

People try to act like Sac is some urban city. It is not, I lived in the heart of downtown. Unlike the Bay and LA, Sac voted against expanding public transit. Agaisnt road repair, more buses, and light rail expansion from downtown to the airport.

They fought tooth and nail to stop a new arena from going up in a dilapidated part of downtown. And almost suceeded.

It's not even as comsopolitian, worldly, or sophisticated as Irvine. Sure, it's diverse, but in a blue collar low brow type of way. The majority of residents are uneducated beyond public high school.

There is literally nothing going on there, and the action in Lake Tahoe makes Sac look boring.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
From this thread, we can clearly tell that Sacramento is overrated while Irvine is underrated.

Look, Wizard of Radical and I are not coastal California snobs looking down on the rest of the nation. There was a thread pitting Phoenix against Sacramento. We both vouched for Phoenix over Sacramento. If ever there was a city in the Western US mercilessly bashed by coastal elites, it is Phoenix. So our dislike of Sacramento has nothing to do with us being coastal elites.

For me, I just don't like Sacramento summer weather. And no, it's not because I'm a Southern Californian spoiled by coastal California's very mild summers, nor is it because I have never visited the Eastern US so I have no idea that the Eastern US has hotter summers than Sacramento.

I have spent two months during the summer in New Orleans (tied with the likes of Miami and Houston as the muggiest city in the U.S.), been to Hong Kong three times during the summer, for a total time of three months during the summer, and been to Bangkok during the muggiest time of year in Bangkok. All of these places have very pleasant summers compared to Sacramento and just the Central Valley in general. I don't mind humidity. It's the total lack of summer rain and the very dry air that makes you itchy all over and makes everything you touch have static that bothers me. That is Sacramento in the summer, and why I dislike Sac summers.
Not liking Sacramento summers isn't the impetus for continued disparaging and off base attacks on the city. I don't like Sac summers either, or its weather in general at any point of the year. It's one of my dislikes for the city and I've mentioned this before...

There is no way Sacramento is overrated because few people think to "rate" Sac anyway. In that sense, it's a hidden gem. While the weather and geography (another characteristic I'm not fond of) aren't ideal for some of us, there are millions of people in different corners of the country who would take Sac weather over where they currently live. Everything else about Sacramento from economy to its aesthetics and amenities is meets or exceeds what you find in most cities of comparable stature...

You know what you were doing with this thread, it was specifically created with the intent of luring others to your Sacramento trolling. I'll disagree with others who think this comparison is interesting, as I can get pretty much anything Irvine can offer in Sacramento, but the reverse isn't as true. But that's the beauty of different opinions, I don't have to go outta my way to slam Irvine. And certainly if I lived in Irvine and hated it, I'd quickly have an exit plan in place. That would be so much better than just living in Irvine and complaining about how much I hate it there...

Old 01-14-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
I don't hate Sac, but I am not going to prop it up as something it is not.

People try to act like Sac is some urban city. It is not, I lived in the heart of downtown. Unlike the Bay and LA, Sac voted against expanding public transit. Agaisnt road repair, more buses, and light rail expansion from downtown to the airport.

They fought tooth and nail to stop a new arena from going up in a dilapidated part of downtown. And almost suceeded.

It's not even as comsopolitian, worldly, or sophisticated as Irvine. Sure, it's diverse, but in a blue collar low brow type of way. The majority of residents are uneducated beyond public high school.

There is literally nothing going on there, and the action in Lake Tahoe makes Sac look boring.
Who does these things you're saying, though? Sac isn't even spoken of enough here, so any "people" you are referencing has to be one or two people. I know I've definitely said that it has a more suburban build than I'd like, others have as well. It would be intentionally misleading to say Sacramento isn't urban at all. And specifically in this comparison, you're comparing Sacramento to Irvine. Sacramento is very urban compared to Irvine...

A lot of your statement is reasonable, but then you'll turn around give patently false information like "Sacramento's economy is horrible". Compared to what? It's not a true sentiment and your willingness to go out of your way to give such commentary is odd for someone who also gives balanced statements at other times...

Old 01-14-2019, 10:08 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
The thing that is cool about Irvine is that it is really insulated from poverty, as is South OC in general.

In Sac city, pretty much no matter where you are, you are never more than a couple miles drive from sketchy areas.
So like...Sac is a real city and Irvine is fake suburbia for sheltered soccer moms and their uncultured children? Sounds about right.

I enjoy the fact that no poll was included in this thread. I bet if it was, you'd both be so upset at the results.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:13 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
what is Sacramento w/o being state capital?

just another Fresno
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California