U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2019, 09:04 PM
 
3,782 posts, read 5,100,656 times
Reputation: 2537

Advertisements

If you had 7 full days and wanted to split it between Orange county and San Francisco, would you do 3 in Orange county and 4 in san Francisco? Or vice versa? And why?

Last edited by Thinking-man; 01-11-2019 at 10:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2019, 09:58 PM
 
Location: The High Seas
7,377 posts, read 13,640,029 times
Reputation: 11757
I think vice-versa. Because it's how I like to do things.
I'd also go missing a day, just to be mysterious.


If I had a week though, I'd probably do things differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2019, 10:15 PM
 
3,782 posts, read 5,100,656 times
Reputation: 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I think vice-versa. Because it's how I like to do things.
I'd also go missing a day, just to be mysterious.


If I had a week though, I'd probably do things differently.
Lolol fixed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2019, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,596 posts, read 24,262,782 times
Reputation: 36933
I'd spend a full week in one location or the other. Then, go to the other one on my next trip. Otherwise, you're just spending most of your 7 days traveling and packing and unpacking and checking into and out of hotels, etc.

You could have a great vacation in either location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2019, 10:24 PM
 
3,782 posts, read 5,100,656 times
Reputation: 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'd spend a full week in one location or the other. Then, go to the other one on my next trip. Otherwise, you're just spending most of your 7 days traveling and packing and unpacking and checking into and out of hotels, etc.

You could have a great vacation in either location.
My vacation is 17 days/16 nights consisting of getting into LAX in the early am, staying in OC for 3 full days, then driving north to SF, getting there at night and staying 4 nights (3 full days), then 1 night in napa valley. Then drive to Yosemite for 5 nights. Then back south to palm springs for 3 nights before flying out of LAX back east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2019, 11:36 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, WA
5,813 posts, read 12,741,095 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
My vacation is 17 days/16 nights consisting of getting into LAX in the early am, staying in OC for 3 full days, then driving north to SF, getting there at night and staying 4 nights (3 full days), then 1 night in napa valley. Then drive to Yosemite for 5 nights. Then back south to palm springs for 3 nights before flying out of LAX back east.
Wow, that's a quite a grand tour! Only problem is you've skipped one of the top scenic wonders of the state on your way north - Big Sur!!! Unless you're really into city life a lot more than nature I would make a take Hwy 101 instead of I-5. It's much more scenic. And then you can stop in Monterey and visit at least part of Big Sur.

The SoCal coast pales in comparison to Big Sur and the redwoods of the Central and NorCal coast in addition to the rugged coastline. There's simply no comparison.

If you change anything I recommend changing that! Less time in LA/OC & SF and at least an extra day or two along the coast on the way.










Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2019, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
8,780 posts, read 9,565,457 times
Reputation: 14112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
My vacation is 17 days/16 nights consisting of getting into LAX in the early am, staying in OC for 3 full days, then driving north to SF, getting there at night and staying 4 nights (3 full days), then 1 night in napa valley. Then drive to Yosemite for 5 nights. Then back south to palm springs for 3 nights before flying out of LAX back east.
Sounds like a stressful vacation. You might want consider one less day in OC and Palm Springs. Add one day to Napa for a more balanced and relaxing experience. There isn’t that much to see or do in OC or Palm Spings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2019, 01:36 AM
 
7,446 posts, read 4,812,592 times
Reputation: 9275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
My vacation is 17 days/16 nights consisting of getting into LAX in the early am, staying in OC for 3 full days, then driving north to SF, getting there at night and staying 4 nights (3 full days), then 1 night in napa valley. Then drive to Yosemite for 5 nights. Then back south to palm springs for 3 nights before flying out of LAX back east.
A few questions (forgive me if you already provided answers):

1. What time of year are you visiting?
2. Do you prefer spending time in urban environments, suburban ones or scenic natural areas?
3. Do you have any special interests, such as hiking, climbing, photography, cultural activities (i.e. museums, concerts, etc.), nightlife, beach time, etc. that you look forward to doing in California?
4. What's your travel budget like? Do you have a tight budget, a luxury budget, or somewhere in between?
5. Is this your first trip to California? Do you expect that you may visit again sometime in the future, or is this a "one and done" type of trip?

The answers to these questions are necessary to give you advice on how to split your time.

For instance, five days in Yosemite may be two too many in the middle of winter, or even during the warmer months, unless you plan to do some climbing or serious hiking.

San Francisco is the only stop on your itinerary where you'll be experiencing an urban environment, and all that offers. You'll have plenty of suburban in Palm Springs and Napa (although both are a different kind of suburban than OC), so if you're looking forward to a more urban area, spending less time in OC and more in San Francisco makes sense.

How you plan to spend your time is important too. For instance, OC is the only place on your list where you can count on decent beach time most of the year (there are beaches up north, but they'll be much less temperate than OC for much of the year.).

All that said, if I was ONLY going to Orange County and San Francisco in 7 days, I'd probably do 4 days in San Francisco, and three in Orange County. But, your mileage may vary depending on the answers to the 4 questions above.

But, overall, it sounds like you have a decent amount of time, and a decent plan for what you want to see and do. Just be sure to build in some down time, and some extra time for getting off the well-trodden tourist path to explore and savor places you'll find along the way. That's really the best way to enjoy California.

However you split your time, you'll have a great trip! Enjoy!

(P.S. just in case you haven't already found it, here's a great site to help with planning your trip: https://www.visitcalifornia.com/ )

(P.P.S. It would be a shame to fly all the way to California and rush from Orange County to San Francisco on the I-5. The coastal route from OC to SF through Santa Barbara, Big Sur, and Monterrey really shouldn't be missed if you think this will be your only trip to California. But that route really takes two takes 2 days/1 night to do right. For that reason alone, I'd reassign a day from what you've budgeted for OC, Palm Springs, or maybe Yosemite)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2019, 08:30 AM
 
3,782 posts, read 5,100,656 times
Reputation: 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Wow, that's a quite a grand tour! Only problem is you've skipped one of the top scenic wonders of the state on your way north - Big Sur!!! Unless you're really into city life a lot more than nature I would make a take Hwy 101 instead of I-5. It's much more scenic. And then you can stop in Monterey and visit at least part of Big Sur.

The SoCal coast pales in comparison to Big Sur and the redwoods of the Central and NorCal coast in addition to the rugged coastline. There's simply no comparison.

If you change anything I recommend changing that! Less time in LA/OC & SF and at least an extra day or two along the coast on the way.

Derek
So funny you mention, because Monterey is absolutely on my itinerary already....I just didnt mention it cause I figured I'd just stop there along the way (I've been there before. Amazing) since it's about 2 hrs from san fran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
A few questions (forgive me if you already provided answers):

1. What time of year are you visiting?
2. Do you prefer spending time in urban environments, suburban ones or scenic natural areas?
3. Do you have any special interests, such as hiking, climbing, photography, cultural activities (i.e. museums, concerts, etc.), nightlife, beach time, etc. that you look forward to doing in California?
4. What's your travel budget like? Do you have a tight budget, a luxury budget, or somewhere in between?
5. Is this your first trip to California? Do you expect that you may visit again sometime in the future, or is this a "one and done" type of trip?
1.june
2.scenic and nature preferred...hence Yosemite taking a good 3rd. Lol. We have 3 kids ages 3 to 6 and I'm taking them camping there.
3. Beach. Forrest. Pool.
4.no real budget....but most of the stuff we wanna do is free anyway. Current estimates is at 5k for the trip. 1k air + 1400 rental + 750 food/etc + 1800 hotels/camping.
5.no. I've been to all the places I mentioned in my original post, but kids and wife havnt.

Excellent idea on taking a day from san fra and making the trip north a 2 day event.....wheres a good city to stay in the middle? Perhaps Cambria?

Last edited by Thinking-man; 01-12-2019 at 08:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2019, 10:39 AM
 
Location: The High Seas
7,377 posts, read 13,640,029 times
Reputation: 11757
I'll throw out some ideas for places and you can research them, if you like...
Going from south to north (bold indicates 'don't miss'...well, just my opinion):
Orange Co.: San Clemente, Dana Point, Laguna Beach
L.A. Co.: Santa Monica, Malibu
Ventura Co.: Ventura, Ojai
Santa Barbara Co.:Santa Barbara(get a view of town from the top of the courthouse downtown-it's free), Refugio Beach (just a beach, but a nice one), Solvang (the kids will like this), numerous wineries in the Santa Ynez Valley. La Purisima Mission State Park-near Lompoc (good example of what a working mission was like)
San Luis Obispo Co.: San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Cambria, San Simeon (Hearst Castle is worth a visit- reserve ahead of time)
Monterey Co.: coming up Hwy 1, along the coast....McWay Falls in Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, Point Lobos State Park, Carmel, Monterey
San Francisco: I think coming into the city via Great Highway (the west coast road) is an easier, somewhat more relaxed way of entering the "big city".
If you decide to see the Sonoma and Mendocino coastline, you'll find great short hikes everywhere. One very nice inland hike is just north of Mendocino village (take a right at rte 409; to the left is Point Cabrillo- follow 409 to the end and take the trail to the right. This leads to a waterfall through the redwood forest-google for more details).
Wine Country- both the towns of Napa and Sonoma make nice places to visit.

While I love Yosemite, I think 5 days is a bit much with kids. June will be crowded. The area nearby has the towns of Columbia (the kids will like this) and Murphys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top