Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 12:59 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,309,230 times

Advertisements

I guess they are planning to embrace the Onion’s idea for high speed buses. I bet the lanes would be built with guiderails for specific self driving alternative fueled or electric cars. The gliderail also powers the vehicles. And users would be charged per
mile of use. Though perhaps Tesla would cover whole or part of costs for their customers just like they do with superchargers.

I guess the high speed bus plan, likely with Tesla made buses, would probably replace the HSR plan as buses can be driven normally under level 2 automonous driving with battery power, when off the guiderails, into bus depots in the middle of cities. Interestingly I heard Tesla is building trucks too. Maybe those can use such lanes too. Though trucks would not go as fast and might slow down the overall speed of the lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 01:24 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times
increasing the speed limit on freeways to 90 mph is good enough

Old 02-26-2019, 03:09 PM

https://www.wired.com/2016/07/teslas...s-buses-semis/
Tesla Semi Enters the Growing Electric Bus and Truck Trend - The Drive
Apparently the semi could 0-60 in five seconds if empty. but 20 seconds if fully loaded.
I be curious what will happen if its on a powered gliderail would it be able to go faster?

Also since Rail can hardly compete with bus companies
Would power guiderails work for these fast prototype buses and make them bad boys come true?
https://steemit.com/steemhunt/@toffe...r-electric-bus
http://www.tuvie.com/mach-high-speed...vt=0&eim=1,2,6
https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...vt=0&eim=1,2,6

Old 02-26-2019, 03:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
This is needed. Especially when you consider the changes to car safety, breaking and handeling over the last 40 years.
Lots of people simply do not maintain their cars correctly to sustain 100 mph driving speeds. Very few people have the skills to control a vehicle at 100 mph when something goes wrong. I mean think about it. Most drivers are busy doing everything but driving and now you want to add 20-35 mph faster speeds?
Lol these tards we share the road with barely can drive at 65 mph. Adding speed just makes things that much worse. I can just see some douche driving 100 mph, drinking eating a burger and trying to text.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:27 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
https://www.wired.com/2016/07/teslas...s-buses-semis/
Tesla Semi Enters the Growing Electric Bus and Truck Trend - The Drive
Apparently the semi could 0-60 in five seconds if empty. but 20 seconds if fully loaded.
I be curious what will happen if its on a powered gliderail would it be able to go faster?

Also since Rail can hardly compete with bus companies
Would power guiderails work for these fast prototype buses and make them bad boys come true?
https://steemit.com/steemhunt/@toffe...r-electric-bus
http://www.tuvie.com/mach-high-speed...vt=0&eim=1,2,6
https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...vt=0&eim=1,2,6
The problem is how many buses VS rail cars would it take and ... how many people would actually take either? An example is the 405 from its start y Irvine to the SF valley. Total number of cars (note not people) 325,000. Now a 10% drop would be nice but how many buses or train cars would it take to carry all the people within a say a 3 hour time span? Any longer for the time to get on would make it useless. IF people have to be at work by say 8AM, they can't leave much before 6AM and for many 7AM would be great. OK how is that going to work, 32,500 cars with maybe 35,000 people. The bus in one of your links seats 23 people. How many buses just to make a 35,000 people dent? Just a little over1500.

If they could do it, round trip in 1 hour you would just need a bit over 500 to do it in a 3 hour span or 75 in a 2 hour span. Now is a 10% drop enough or would it take more?

Old 02-26-2019, 03:30 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Lots of people simply do not maintain their cars correctly to sustain 100 mph driving speeds. Very few people have the skills to control a vehicle at 100 mph when something goes wrong. I mean think about it. Most drivers are busy doing everything but driving and now you want to add 20-35 mph faster speeds?
Lol these tards we share the road with barely can drive at 65 mph. Adding speed just makes things that much worse. I can just see some douche driving 100 mph, drinking eating a burger and trying to text.
Yeah, look at all the accidents now. Imagine if the number did not change but with 100 MPH (Not to mention the idiots that would drive faster than the limit like they do now) speeds we would have a whole lot more dead.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:51 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
Say, we already have lanesplitting (which is still illegal in all the red states.) Never say never!

Old 02-26-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The problem is how many buses VS rail cars would it take and ... how many people would actually take either? An example is the 405 from its start y Irvine to the SF valley. Total number of cars (note not people) 325,000. Now a 10% drop would be nice but how many buses or train cars would it take to carry all the people within a say a 3 hour time span? Any longer for the time to get on would make it useless. IF people have to be at work by say 8AM, they can't leave much before 6AM and for many 7AM would be great. OK how is that going to work, 32,500 cars with maybe 35,000 people. The bus in one of your links seats 23 people. How many buses just to make a 35,000 people dent? Just a little over1500.

If they could do it, round trip in 1 hour you would just need a bit over 500 to do it in a 3 hour span or 75 in a 2 hour span. Now is a 10% drop enough or would it take more?
Interesting comment, Id be curious what it would be like to have a "bus train" that runs in between Grapevine and San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento on those new lanes? In which multiple buses get coupled together to travel on the lanes and separate bus drivers get to get off and on to return buses coming off the lane from that point. So compatible buses(usually operated by private firms like Greyhound, Megabus, Boltbus, Flixbus, Luxbus etc) would be departing from different locations but will join the lane to get between the Grapevine and destinations north for a fast up to 200kmh or 120 mph electrified ride. So will other electric autonomous vehicles i.e Tesla Semis and normal Teslas and other self driving cars. Perhaps we would see a new generation of Tesloop buses. I be curious whether the lanes would allow such buses to complete the journey from LA to SF to within 4 hours. Or complete the journey from LA to LV in two hours should they build such lanes on that route too. For routes to San Francisco Bay Area buses would get off the lane and decoupled either at Manteca or somewhere along 580 and be met with local drivers to drive them to their final destinations.
As for bus capacity I would be curious whether Tesla Semis would be used too. I know that Sleep bus tried carrying passengers with a semi container once, https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click But we may not need sleeping capsules at such high speeds but we can have those wide reclining seats with entertainment like those in some buses in Asia and Latin America that is very popular despite having to compete with high speed rail in Asian places like Korea and Taiwan.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 02-26-2019 at 05:18 PM..

Old 02-26-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Say, we already have lanesplitting (which is still illegal in all the red states.) Never say never!
Arn't Idaho, Montana, Missouri, Arkansas, and Mississippi red states.
These states don't have legislation specifically targeting/prohibiting lane splitting.
Though the number of red states prohibiting lane splitting is alarming though.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:02 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Arn't Idaho, Montana, Missouri, Arkansas, and Mississippi red states.
These states don't have legislation specifically targeting/prohibiting lane splitting.
Though the number of red states prohibiting lane splitting is alarming though.
Yeah, but only California explicitly leagalizes lane splitting.

I don't see how this 100 mph on the I-5 is a Republican thing. Come on, liberals drive Mercedes and Teslas, too. They've got to have somewhere to show off their new luxury cars' performance. And I know Hitler started the autobahn, but even now, in liberal Germany, a full 60% of the Autobahn still has no speed limit. and the parts that do have an 80 mph speed limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California