Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 11:35 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,510 times

Advertisements

Check out Riverside county, particularly Murrieta and Temecula. You aren’t far from the beach and lots of young families and plenty of restaurants and things to do. I’d recommend renting for at least a year or two until you figure out if you like it here or the city you end up in.

Also Craig’s List isn’t what it was for rentals. Beware as now it’s mostly scammers! Check out apartments.com and build your profile and filters and you’ll find tons of houses. It’s not just apartments. Also you may want to contact a realtor and ask them for a list of MLS rental listings for homes. It’s a good source for legitimate listings from owners that have procured an agent to find them a tenant. The agent will help you collect your documents and submit your lease application.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:37 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Sure.

Source: http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Jose-California.html

So if 100k is the median, that means half make less and therefore share housing.

source, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/median
I’m not sure that would give you an accurate number. How about the kids and spouses of those owning a home in Silicon Valley? How about all the older people that live there that bought their homes for a much lower price than today’s prices.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:38 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times
Unfortunately city-data doesn't tell us how many are renters in San Jose, but the San Jose Mercury News does,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury News
In San Jose, on the other hand, 58 percent of residents lived in a home they own.

source, https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/...y-area-cities/

So basically I'm in that 42% who don't own a home. Hardly an outlier.

If anyone had ever liked me back...which would have resulted in me having children (since I very much wanted children when I was younger)...I might feel differently about home ownership, but since that didn't work out, it isn't important to me...and in any case, I grew up here. This is my home. So I'm staying even if I can't afford a single family home.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:42 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I’m not sure that would give you an accurate number. How about the kids and spouses of those owning a home in Silicon Valley? How about all the older people that live there that bought their homes for a much lower price than today’s prices.

The number I was looking for was the median income for households in Silicon Valley. That number is roughly 100k.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:45 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Not really. Half the people in Silicon Valley share housing (the people who make less than the median salary of 100k, and some who make more). So you're suggesting that 50% are outliers? I beg to differ.
Sharing housing isn't the same as an adult male sharing a 1BR with his dad (if I recall correctly).

Old 03-02-2019, 11:48 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
The number I was looking for was the median income for households in Silicon Valley. That number is roughly 100k.
But how is it that you can determine if people make less they automatically are sharing housing?

Old 03-03-2019, 12:08 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Unfortunately city-data doesn't tell us how many are renters in San Jose, but the San Jose Mercury News does,

source, https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/...y-area-cities/

So basically I'm in that 42% who don't own a home. Hardly an outlier.

If anyone had ever liked me back...which would have resulted in me having children (since I very much wanted children when I was younger)...I might feel differently about home ownership, but since that didn't work out, it isn't important to me...and in any case, I grew up here. This is my home. So I'm staying even if I can't afford a single family home.
Nothing wrong with renting or sharing a house with others especially in the Silicon Valley. In fact, its probably the smartest thing to do if you like living there. Purchasing a home there by contrast is pretty insane right now. Many folks who grew up there or inherited property could never afford to actually buy the the home they're living in given the median price of a house.

The problem is you've answering the wrong question in your response. If you read what the OP asked, he's looking for a 4/2 home for a family of 4 on an income of 100K. That is the question. Not room sharing with another family member or other friends. The Bay Area is the last place he should be looking based on his search criteria.

Derek

Old 03-03-2019, 06:29 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Yes and like 80% voted for Trump. No thanks, I'll stay here in my home, where I grew up, Silicon Valley.
That was the OP's other thread wondering about where he should live, and my post was referring to him, not you.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:57 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
The OP never responded here regarding his housing budget. But it looks like he is really asking for a home that is a "4/2 for around $320,000 or less" with good schools on the FL forum. That is the better option financially given his family budget and goals.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:21 PM

119 posts, read 210,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
The OP never responded here regarding his housing budget. But it looks like he is really asking for a home that is a "4/2 for around $320,000 or less" with good schools on the FL forum. That is the better option financially given his family budget and goals.
That is what we're leaning toward. $100,000 seems fine for singles or maybe a couple with no kids. For a family of 4 to find a 4/2 home in a nice area with good schools, close to shopping, an hour from the beach I'm not sure it's doable in CA. I like to be comfortable and not struggle so even though it is probably possible I would feel better not having to worry about finances. We'll likely end up in FL and when we have a budget for $600,000+ home we might end up in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California