Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 09:02 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
I could afford to live by the beach but choose not to. Can’t stand the humidity and everything being damp all the time. It’s fine for me to visit the beach from time to time but love the dry air we have inland.
Thank you. I feel the same. When my sister was still living, I used to visit her frequently. I always had to wear a sweater, sometimes in the summer. I don't like that. I used to love day visits to the seashore, a little south of Half Moon Bay but even now, with all the traffic, it's just not worth it to me. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 09:14 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
I could afford to live by the beach but choose not to. Can’t stand the humidity and everything being damp all the time. It’s fine for me to visit the beach from time to time but love the dry air we have inland.
I grew up by it in SoCal and love it.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:31 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
This really comes down to individual preferences, hence the title of the thread. I get that not everyone wants to live near the ocean. And that's really a good thing because by and large a greater % still do generally prefer it. That's why housing prices are so disproportionate with the rest of the state and nation. It's also why a large number of Bay Area residents are looking inland to places like Sacramento - for more affordability.

The climate along the coast even with humidity and cooler summers is actually ideal for many including us. We've lived in drier climates with almost no humidity and much prefer the coast. I remember growing up in coastal SoCal and visiting my cousins who lived in inland OC. Summers were so hot and dry by comparison. They used to always say how lucky we were. Drive to the SF Valley or even Hollywood or downtown LA or Pasadena for work and it's hot and dry. Sometimes the temps can range as much as 40 degrees. The coast will be in the low 70s while its 90s and even low 100s inland during the warm seasons with poorer air quality. My wife lived in inland SD county and it was the same way.

I think folks who get used to the drier heat have acclimated. Or maybe that's all they've ever known. So when they experience cooler temps (60s, 70s) it can actually feel cold, even uncomfortable. But I know many who've lived inland who couldn't wait to drive to the coast for a cool down when it was scorching hot and dry at their house. That's why the beaches get so packed during the summer months with millions flocking to the coast for relief.

The summer crowds are really the biggest drawback while living in coastal SoCal, not the weather. It's like an invasion, literally, with Hordes of people packing out the beaches, streets, etc... Now here in Monterey we don't get those same crowds. So summers are much more enjoyable even if cooler than inland locations. Our kids who grew up here actually enjoy the fog which is cool and refreshing when you're being active - hiking, biking, playing sports, surfing, etc...

We're hoping to adapt to the hotter inland climates eventually when we move. Hopefully, it won't seem so bad after some time acclimating. It's kinda like trying to teach an old surf dog new tricks. So we'll see how that goes.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 03-01-2019 at 11:12 AM..

Old 03-01-2019, 11:20 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post

I think folks who get used to the drier heat have acclimated. Or maybe that's all they've ever known. So when they experience cooler temps (60s, 70s) it can actually feel cold, even uncomfortable. But I know many who've lived inland who couldn't wait to drive to the coast for a cool down when it was scorching hot and dry at their house. That's why the beaches get so packed during the summer months with millions flocking to the coast for relief.

The summer crowds are really the biggest drawback while living in coastal SoCal, not the weather. It's like an invasion, literally, with Hordes of people packing out the beaches, streets, etc... Now here in Monterey we don't get those same crowds. So summers are much more enjoyable even if cooler than inland locations. Our kids who grew up here actually enjoy the fog which is cool and refreshing when you're being active - hiking, biking, playing sports, surfing, etc...

We're hoping to adapt to the hotter inland climates eventually when we move. Hopefully, it won't seem so bad after some time acclimating. It's kinda like trying to teach an old surf dog new tricks. So we'll see how that goes.

Derek
No really, some of us think that's too cold. I love the temp of our 5 months of summer, mid 80s most days. I would be miserable if it only got to 70 every day. I can open the windows most days from April through November and use AC maybe 10 days a summer. I like the house at 79 or 80 inside. And I hate hate hate fog. So I really don't understand why people want to live within a 1/4 mile of the beach with all the drawbacks. I can drive to it anytime I want to use it, which is about 10 times a year (its enough). I also would be miserable in a place further inland which is an oven all summer.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
No really, some of us think that's too cold. I love the temp of our 5 months of summer, mid 80s most days. I would be miserable if it only got to 70 every day. I can open the windows most days from April through November and use AC maybe 10 days a summer. I like the house at 79 or 80 inside. And I hate hate hate fog. So I really don't understand why people want to live within a 1/4 mile of the beach with all the drawbacks. I can drive to it anytime I want to use it, which is about 10 times a year (its enough). I also would be miserable in a place further inland which is an oven all summer.
I guess that's why they say 'different strokes for different folks.' 60s/70s are perfect for us year round. Though some even on this forum love living in the desert. I could never understand why anyone would visit Palm Springs in the summer months. But that's actually a thing. I worked with a gal who called herself a 'desert rat' - loved to go there year round riding dune buggies, hanging around the pool, etc... By contrast, I'll take the beach any day of the week when given the choice. Though the mountains are a great place to visit as well year round including snow season. I lived in the mountains during summers when I lifeguarded and loved it. It was a great break from SoCal summer beach crowds.

Derek

Old 03-01-2019, 11:32 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
This really comes down to individual preferences, hence the title of the thread. I get that not everyone wants to live near the ocean. And that's really a good thing because by and large a greater % still do generally prefer it. That's why housing prices are so disproportionate with the rest of the state and nation. It's also why a large number of Bay Area residents are looking inland to places like Sacramento - for more affordability.

The climate along the coast even with humidity and cooler summers is actually ideal for many including us. We've lived in drier climates with almost no humidity and much prefer the coast. I remember growing up in coastal SoCal and visiting my cousins who lived in inland OC. Summers were so hot and dry by comparison. They used to always say how lucky we were. Drive to the SF Valley or even Hollywood or downtown LA or Pasadena for work and it's hot and dry. Sometimes the temps can range as much as 40 degrees. The coast will be in the low 70s while its 90s and even low 100s inland during the warm seasons with poorer air quality. My wife lived in inland SD county and it was the same way.

Derek
Of course, you realize I'm sure, that in moving to WA, you don't need to be inland. You can still be around fog and cooler summer temps. I guess a lot of it depends on the nature of your income stream, and how flexible that allows you to be with regard to location. In WA, you can be "inland" and still have cool weather and fog, thanks to Puget Sound, which is quite a bit inland from the coast.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Of course, you realize I'm sure, that in moving to WA, you don't need to be inland. You can still be around fog and cooler summer temps. I guess a lot of it depends on the nature of your income stream, and how flexible that allows you to be with regard to location. In WA, you can be "inland" and still have cool weather and fog, thanks to Puget Sound, which is quite a bit inland from the coast.
Yes, Ruth. That's actually a big draw for us since we enjoy the cooler temps up there.

Derek

Old 03-01-2019, 12:24 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I don't want to live right by the ocean and I don't like beaches in general so I rarely go. But I've lived an hour from the Pacific and beaches my whole life so maybe I'd feel different if I was in middle America or something. I know the ocean is there, I see it sometimes when I go out and about, I cross bridges and see the water, that's enough for me. I do agree that it's pricey to live anywhere like this though.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:42 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Since I moved to Georgia the more I live here and the more I come back to,visit California, the more I realize that for me it’s not worth coming back. The one thing that would sway me is to live near the beach on SoCal. After watching the tv show “ grace and Frankie “ and seeing that beach house, I thought I’d really like to move back to California.
Then seeing the cost was a reality slap in the face.
The beach and the weather are the two biggest factors of living in California outside of career and family.
The weather here isn’t as oppressive as people believe. But here in Atlanta we don’t have the beach. We have lots of rivers and lakes, but no beach.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:49 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
My husband used to live right across Pacific Coast Hwy, near Surf City. It was so cold and noisy so he moved inland. Never again he vowed. Lol
But seriously if you live near the coast, your maintenance cost for your house is very high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California