Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 07:14 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,790 times

Advertisements

Um, no, you fail at basic logic. Those two statements are not even remotely mutually exclusive. I recommend you to study set theory. Useful in everyday life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 09:24 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
I support Elizabeth Warren's proposal to break up big tech. It should be decentralized across the country and has been a huge burden on the region.
Are you kidding? Big Tech is what defines Silicon Valley! San Francisco is not part of Silicon Valley. I'm talking about SILICON VALLEY aka Santa Clara County. We love tech and it is the basis of the economy down here. It is far from a burden. That's like saying the movie industry is a burden for Los Angeles! lol.

And Elizabeth Warren is a communist. She'll never have my vote. I'm a Blue Dog Democrat looking to vote for a center-left candidate such as Kamala Harris.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:45 PM

8,335 posts, read 6,421,491 times
Kamala Harris is really a Communist.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:19 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,258,650 times
Quote:
This article seems to express the contrary.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...photo-17129494
I've seen similar articles too. The Bay Area accounts for half of California's job creation (and so far this year, 81 percent of it). Job creation in the Bay Area is relentless.

That doesn't contradict the original article about companies leaving; both are happening. But there's way more job creation than job loss. Those companies leaving barely makes a dent in the local economy.

Companies headquartered in the area but opening more offices in other areas is a trend that will continue and that makes sense. There was a huge article in my local San Diego Union Tribune about that. The companies can't keep importing every type of employee to their HQ and doesn't have to. Everything is in the cloud nowadays, so Google can open satellite offices in major cities all over the country. And tech companies are doing just that. Large cities across the country will see more and more spillover from Silicon Valley's success.

I've also read that nowhere is the 'middle class" growing faster than in the Bay Area. That is, a "new" middle class that earns more than $200,000 a year just to afford a middle class lifestyle. But that's where the job growth is, and it's squeezing out the old middle class that can no longer afford to stay. It's an entire paradigm shift.

Interestingly, while we've known people to leave SF in recent years, we've also known others to move there. Job, population, and housing growth continue.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:57 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,459,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Are you kidding? Big Tech is what defines Silicon Valley! San Francisco is not part of Silicon Valley. I'm talking about SILICON VALLEY aka Santa Clara County. We love tech and it is the basis of the economy down here. It is far from a burden. That's like saying the movie industry is a burden for Los Angeles! lol.

And Elizabeth Warren is a communist. She'll never have my vote. I'm a Blue Dog Democrat looking to vote for a center-left candidate such as Kamala Harris.
The Silicon Valley Region was originally a bedroom community for SF. I would support upzonning the areas around tech campuses for highrises and all single family home areas in San Jose for mid rise condos but the region still likes to act like they are still a suburb. It would make sense to relocate to cities that are building more housing. Even LA is more affordable and a lot of tech campuses are opening up there.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Kamala Harris is really a Communist.
Communism doesn't exist in positions of power in the US. Kama Harris is a Neoliberal on economics but left wing on race and gender issues.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:18 PM

https://www.businessinsider.com/sili...-survey-2019-4

"Forty-one percent of 18- to 34-year-old tech workers surveyed said they planned to leave the Bay Area in the next year."

Old 04-05-2019, 01:39 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Quote:
https://www.businessinsider.com/sili...-survey-2019-4

"Forty-one percent of 18- to 34-year-old tech workers surveyed said they planned to leave the Bay Area in the next year."
Good. Can’t hardly happen too soon. Problem is another horde will replace them and then some more.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:06 AM

It would make sense to relocate a lot of those jobs to Silicon Beach which has access to affordable areas such as Inglewood and Hawthorne which are in need of gentrification.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:20 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,790 times
Silicon Beach is a bad idea. The current millenials are already being spoiled by companies that court them and will pay them high salaries and hipster perks to work there, and have a somewhat lazy attitude because of that. Imagine throwing in the beach and it will be even a bigger problem. Probably would help alot with recruiting. However, LA too crowded, just simply way, way too crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California