U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 08:36 AM

15 posts, read 20,009 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm in need of advice. I'm a 50-something empty-nester (female) who is looking to make a move to a quiet, peaceful, mountain view town in northern CA. I don't want to be isolated but, sorry to say, I don't want tons of young families and college kids everywhere. Been there, done that. Ideally I'm looking for an apartment/condo complex to rent where I could have great amenities and very little responsibility. Having been a homeowner for nearly all of my adult life, I'm ready to call Maintenance when something breaks.

From what I can tell, Chico sounds like a great little town. Yes, I know the University is there but I feel like there are enough areas outside of it that wouldn't be impacted by the partiers but also cool events to go to at the college if I feel like venturing out. The problem I have is the news that says Chico is having a heck of a time right now with the fire victims and workers who are displaced and living there temporarily while their towns are rebuilt, and that this could go on for years. This concerns me because I envision a lack of rentals and a lot of noise and traffic and inflated prices - exactly what I'm trying to escape.

So is it worth it to continue to look at Chico as an option? I'd like to rent a one-bedroom for around $1200 max. I don't like snow but I do like seasons. I like decent proximity to Sacramento and a not unreasonable drive to southern Oregon and the coast. I LIKE SUNSHINE. I guess I'm wanting a small town with easy accessibility to larger town amenities if desired. I'm hoping to move by end of summer at the latest so I'm starting to become a little more focused on my options. Oh, and I don't need to find a job as I work from home/anywhere.

Help please? And thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 10:08 AM

1,016 posts, read 910,131 times
Yup, housing in Chico is expensive now. Have you considered Auburn? It sounds like it checks most of your boxes.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:22 AM

48,321 posts, read 3,570,396 times
Because so many fire victims relocated to Chico ( the closest town to Paradise ) it will be hard to find a rental. Maybe once summer arrives & some college kids move out, it will be easier to find a place. The events put on by the students at CSU are well done & we enjoy them.
We tried to find an apartment in Chico when we lost our home in Paradise, but at that time, there was zero availability, so we are in Willows. It is a little too isolated, & we seem to be in Chico at least twice a week. It is right off the I-5 so an easy hop to Oregon or Sacramento, but not much in town.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:13 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,925,215 times
The housing market for rentals or buying in Chico and surrounding areas is very, very tight because of the Paradise fire. I've seen it even in Oroville - traffic is atrocious and rentals are scarce. Even if it had never happened Chico is loaded with young families and 24,000 college students (most of the year). Lincoln might fit the bill for you. Its a nice, clean suburb of Sac on the edge of the foothills. As someone said Auburn might be a good choice too.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:23 PM

Thanks so much! I'll definitely check out Auburn and Lincoln. Yeah, I was thinking Chico wasn't going to work even as I was creating this thread. The tight rental market really seals the deal. Any thoughts on Fair Oaks? Yuba City? I'm pretty open to the right places in and around Sacramento, just not sure I know what all of the options are.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:44 PM

48,321 posts, read 3,570,396 times
Where are you living right now? Maybe take a week & drive around.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:18 PM

5,809 posts, read 12,735,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Where are you living right now? Maybe take a week & drive around.
This is the best advice. When we were thinking of moving to the general area we drove around to see a number of towns. They really do vary quite a bit with their own unique personalities, quirks, pros/cons, etc... And everyone has their preferences on the type of vibe they prefer with associated amenities or lack thereof being more remote. You have everything from city to suburbs to country rolling hills, to farm/ranch lands to small mountain towns. What is quaint for some in the gold rush towns may feel too limited, backward, etc... to others. Reading about a place online is one thing while seeing it in person can be quite different. So definitely check 'em out first to see what you prefer.

Derek

Old 03-24-2019, 05:44 AM

Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the country at the moment and don't think I'll be able to get away for any length of time until at least early June. That's why I'm starting my research online. I'm very familiar with SoCal - lived there for a number of years as a child/teen but have never been north of San Francisco so I'm coming at this as very much a newbie. My daughter lives in Oregon so I'm looking for somewhere closer to her. I considered Southern Oregon but I'm really not a huge fan of dreary weather, which even the "sunniest" Oregon towns still seem to have. I also lived in Boise for a time and really enjoyed the vibe and the views but I'm not interested in going back there. SoCal is out of the question for many reasons. That leaves Northern California which seems like the right choice but I'm wide open as to where. Charming, inexpensive, sunny and pretty seem to be my criteria. Thanks for all the help and good advice! Maybe I should post in the Sacramento forum since that seems to be where I'm starting to gravitate.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:36 AM

1,016 posts, read 910,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiegirl97 View Post
I considered Southern Oregon but I'm really not a huge fan of dreary weather, which even the "sunniest" Oregon towns still seem to have.
Wow, not true at all! Look at Medford, Grants Pass and Ashland. The weather there is a lot more like what you will find in the Sac Valley than in, say, Eugene or Corvallis. Ashland is a pretty hill town, but like Chico you will be fighting college students for housing. My parents lived in Grants Pass for years; not sure what it's like now, but traditionally housing prices are much more reasonable there than CA.

Yuba City is kind of a dump: hot, flat, dusty and economically challenged. Fair Oaks is a sort of oddball "semi-rural" suburb of Sacramento. I personally think it's kind of charming, but still flat and suburban vs foothill cities like Auburn. Next time you visit, look into southwest OR.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:54 AM

7,622 posts, read 15,801,641 times
Chico is sunnier and hotter than the Rogue Valley (Medford, Ashland, Grants Pass). It has a similar wet/dry pattern (most of the precip falls Nov-March) but Chico gets about twice the rain that the Rogue Valley gets. Chico has about 20 more sunny/partly sunny days than the Rogue Valley per year, but it also averages more days over 100° per year as well.

Both areas have some similar problems (drugs, drug-related property crime and theft, homelessness, lack of living wage jobs, fire smoke in summer). Chico's economy is probably a little better because of the university and because it isn't right on I-5.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or