U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2019, 08:47 AM
 
11,110 posts, read 10,150,741 times
Reputation: 20506

Advertisements

Wow, I had no idea the sales tax in LA was so high. Just be glad grocery (food items) items aren't taxed in California like in other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2019, 09:51 AM
 
5,098 posts, read 2,732,914 times
Reputation: 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Just be glad grocery (food items) items aren't taxed in California like in other states.
Coming soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2019, 09:54 AM
 
7,295 posts, read 4,396,077 times
Reputation: 8908
No one ever likes to hear the words "higher taxes" do they? But, California is a big state and people in one city won't necessarily pay what people in another will pay.

So, it might be interesting and more helpful to compare the full county/state/city tax rates of California cities to those of other cities around the U.S. rather than just seize on "California sales tax is crazy"

Sources:

For CA taxes, as of 4/1/2019:
California City and County Sales and Use Tax Rates - Cities, Counties and Tax Rates - California Department of Tax and Fee Administration

For sales taxes of other U.S. cities as of 2019, I used data from the Tax Foundation found here: https://taxfoundation.org/sales-tax-rates-2019/

The Tax Foundation notes: The five states with the highest average combined state and local sales tax rates in 2019 are Tennessee (9.47 percent), Louisiana (9.45 percent), Arkansas (9.43 percent), Washington (9.17 percent), and Alabama (9.14 percent).

California's average state+county+local sales tax is (as of 2019) 8.56%.

Some more comparisons: Arizona average 8.37, Oklahoma 8.92%, Oregon, 0. If you go to the link you can see a nifty map showing the averages for every state.

Again, the average for California is not the highest in the country. It's higher than some states, but lower than others.

Of course, averages are just that, averages. In almost every state there will be cities where you'll pay well ABOVE the state average and others where you'll pay well BELOW.

There are over 1500 cities in California where combined sales tax is below 8%. (Lowest is 7.25% and there are over 400 cities where that is the sales tax)

There are only about 250 cities in California where combined sales tax is above 9%.

Last edited by RosieSD; 04-04-2019 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2019, 09:56 AM
 
Location: On the water.
12,714 posts, read 7,442,296 times
Reputation: 10209
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Wow, I had no idea the sales tax in LA was so high. Just be glad grocery (food items) items aren't taxed in California like in other states.
Not too many do:

States that tax groceries (rate if not fully taxed):
Alabama,
Arkansas (3%),
Hawaii,
Idaho,
Illinois (1%),
Kansas,
Mississippi,
Missouri (1.225%),
Oklahoma,
South Dakota,
Tennessee (5.5%),
Utah (1.75%),
Virginia (1.5% + 1% local option tax), and
West Virginia (5%).”


Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Coming soon.
You predict based on ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2019, 10:05 AM
 
3,330 posts, read 2,058,434 times
Reputation: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
What? How do you NOT shop locally?
how can you survive if you dont shop?

we only buy what we really need and essentials like food are not taxed.

we buy new cars and use them until they dont run anymore.

the reason i like sales tax to go up is that there are a lot of trashy things we really dont need.

there is a story told by a manufacturer in China about an order he received from an American retailer.

he couldnt believe that Americans buy such a thing. and thought the customer will lose money with this order

so he fulfilled the order and lo and behold, the customer not only ordered another batch but a bigger order.

im not moralizing but the govt could raise money from these consumers w/o them knowing that their wallet is hurting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2019, 10:26 AM
 
11,110 posts, read 10,150,741 times
Reputation: 20506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Not too many do:

States that tax groceries (rate if not fully taxed):
Alabama,
Arkansas (3%),
Hawaii,
Idaho,
Illinois (1%),
Kansas,
Mississippi,
Missouri (1.225%),
Oklahoma,
South Dakota,
Tennessee (5.5%),
Utah (1.75%),
Virginia (1.5% + 1% local option tax), and
West Virginia (5%).”
I did a little research on that some years ago. I am aware of the states that do and do not tax groceries, even partially, which is why I said California is lucky. Seeing how 28% of the nation does, it won't be long before we jump on the bandwagon, too. It's one of the few things that isn't taxed in this state. Give 'em time. It'll happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2019, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Tulare County, Ca
1,159 posts, read 717,641 times
Reputation: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post

The Tax Foundation notes: The five states with the highest average combined state and local sales tax rates in 2019 are Tennessee (9.47 percent), Louisiana (9.45 percent), Arkansas (9.43 percent), Washington (9.17 percent), and Alabama (9.14 percent).

There are only about 250 cities in California where combined sales tax is above 9%.

Those states you mentioned have either no state income tax (Tennessee and Washington), or very low state income tax. Higher sales tax means everybody has some skin in the game. The money to run a state has to come from somewhere. It's not where it comes from that is important, it's where it goes after it's collected that counts.


Louisiana = 2.02%
Arkansas=4.05%
Alabama=3.67%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2019, 11:31 AM
 
4,280 posts, read 1,845,953 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
how can you survive if you dont shop?

we only buy what we really need and essentials like food are not taxed.

we buy new cars and use them until they dont run anymore.

the reason i like sales tax to go up is that there are a lot of trashy things we really dont need.

there is a story told by a manufacturer in China about an order he received from an American retailer.

he couldnt believe that Americans buy such a thing. and thought the customer will lose money with this order

so he fulfilled the order and lo and behold, the customer not only ordered another batch but a bigger order.

im not moralizing but the govt could raise money from these consumers w/o them knowing that their wallet is hurting
If the majority of people only bought what they really needed we would see mass unemployment and the government would have to implement Universal Basic Income immediately rather than 20-30 years down the road. Maybe we should be happy we tend buy things we like and not just need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2019, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Planet Earth
1,844 posts, read 2,108,193 times
Reputation: 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Because government doesn't have enough money!
No, because the voters were stupid enough to vote for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2019, 12:00 PM
 
3,330 posts, read 2,058,434 times
Reputation: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
If the majority of people only bought what they really needed we would see mass unemployment and the government would have to implement Universal Basic Income immediately rather than 20-30 years down the road. Maybe we should be happy we tend buy things we like and not just need.
thats why we can increase the sales tax coz most people are not like us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top