Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 01:06 PM

858 posts, read 681,295 times

Advertisements

What I have observed about California is thatit appears to be at least two economies shoved in one state. Without being toobvious there is the high cost coastal area and then the reasonable costnon-coastal areas.

Sure, the majority of the non-coastal areas seem to suck,but probably only because it is compared to the coastal areas. In Texas, Austinas seen as the primo area to work and live, so every high-tech business ismoving there. But that was not always the case. Austin use to be the capitaland not much else and cities like San Antonio and Dallas were the big draws foryoung folks. But Austin is just as hot and humid as Houston most of the yearand its grossly overcrowded and over priced.

Just like LA and San Francisco compared to Sacramento. Ifcompanies would relocate to non-coastal areas I am sure the talent wouldfollow. I have always thought that companies move their head quarters to thewest coast (or New York city) because that is where the CEOs want to live, not becausethose are the most profitable areas for business. If profits were the onlymetric, then all manufacturing and headquarters would be in either large “port-cities”or middle-America for distribution reasons and low cost labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 03:00 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
What I have observed about California is thatit appears to be at least two economies shoved in one state. Without being toobvious there is the high cost coastal area and then the reasonable costnon-coastal areas.

Sure, the majority of the non-coastal areas seem to suck,but probably only because it is compared to the coastal areas. In Texas, Austinas seen as the primo area to work and live, so every high-tech business ismoving there. But that was not always the case. Austin use to be the capitaland not much else and cities like San Antonio and Dallas were the big draws foryoung folks. But Austin is just as hot and humid as Houston most of the yearand its grossly overcrowded and over priced.

Just like LA and San Francisco compared to Sacramento. Ifcompanies would relocate to non-coastal areas I am sure the talent wouldfollow. I have always thought that companies move their head quarters to thewest coast (or New York city) because that is where the CEOs want to live, not becausethose are the most profitable areas for business. If profits were the onlymetric, then all manufacturing and headquarters would be in either large “port-cities”or middle-America for distribution reasons and low cost labor.
There are nice non coastal areas in CA, but similar ones in many States with a lower COL. Now in some cases the areas in CA are at least reasonably close to the beach and good weather, but they are not that popular except for someone who is priced out of coastal areas but wants to stay in CA or near family.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:57 PM

858 posts, read 681,295 times
My point was that its all relative. And any high tech person leaving California for a lower COL in the mid-west or Texas will have a rude awakening as to the differences in climate and other natural resources

Old 04-29-2019, 04:17 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,951 times
Quote:
My point was that its all relative. And any high tech person leaving California for a lower COL in the mid-west or Texas will have a rude awakening as to the differences in climate and other natural resources
Sometimes that "rude awakening" is 100% positive!! Mine was!!

Old 04-29-2019, 04:28 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
More natural goodies in CA for sure, but you pay far more than you should as well.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:32 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
There are nice non coastal areas in CA, but similar ones in many States with a lower COL. Now in some cases the areas in CA are at least reasonably close to the beach and good weather, but they are not that popular except for someone who is priced out of coastal areas but wants to stay in CA or near family.
I think places like Sacramento fit that description. Its actually got a lot going for it besides being the capitol. When compared to other mid to larger cities in other states, there's a lot of bang for the buck. Close to the High Sierra/Tahoe, few hour drive to the coast, rivers and lakes nearby, decent career opportunities. Weather is that isn't terrible either except for hot summers, etc... But many other more affordable places with moderate weather (little to no snow) have hot summers as well, some worse. No hurricanes or tornadoes to deal with. Of course its not perfect with its own issues like air quality. But for the money its not bad either.

Other places closer to the beach but inland and a bit more affordable bring to mind parts of eastern San Diego county or Temecula. Though prices have been rising.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-29-2019 at 09:18 PM..

Old 05-01-2019, 12:05 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
But Fresno and Bakersfield are not desirable places to live as they lack big city amenities like nightlife, shopping malls, parks, museums, concerts, etc.... Portland, Seattle, Las Vegas, and Austin seem more desirable to techies.
Las Vegas can't seem to get its act together where tech is concerned.

It had a huge advantage in Zappos being there and then it just flattened out.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:27 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
What this all really boils down to is evolution on a micro-level. Almost on a personal level as well, I'd say.

Liberals evolve for the common good. Conservatives dig their heels in and throw a pretty mean hissy fit at the slightest suggestion to change.

Conservatives don't understand the concept of the "common good" and only focus on "what's in it for me?" individualism.

In California, you have to be evolutionary, not simply satisfied with the status quo and mentally stuck in the 1980s, or nostalgic for that era.

In California, we're White/Brown/Asian/Black/LGBT/Christian/Non-Christian/Democratic/Educated/Innovative. We speak many languages and value diversity. We've studied Europe, Latin America and Asia, we look ahead to the next best thing, we care about the climate and planet and keeping a social safety net.

If all of that makes you uncomfortable, then yeah...you're probably better off in a 1980s, monochromatic version of that John Hughes-like film that plays over and over in your heads and makes you wax nostalgic for that era. Every single last person who complains so bitterly about California seems to fit this profile 100% !

If this is you, then yes, hightail it off to that 90% white suburb in Utah, Idaho or Arizona, or whatever new overhyped housing tract they've just built on the outskirts of Houston, Dallas or Austin.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:29 AM

603 posts, read 442,759 times
Without $illyCoin valley California isn’t anything special... but $illyCoin valley is probably the #1 innovator worldwide period so it’s bound to have a massive effect. I do know that for many non tech businesses including my business that the returns on investment are better elsewhere due to the high taxes and cost structure combined with business unfriendly politics. Those businesses have essentially left or are leaving or severely reducing their Californian footprints to just what’s essential. As a business if you didn’t need to be in California there is no reason to be there... it’s not a market you want to be in unless you need to be.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:27 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
Without $illyCoin valley California isn’t anything special... but $illyCoin valley is probably the #1 innovator worldwide period so it’s bound to have a massive effect. I do know that for many non tech businesses including my business that the returns on investment are better elsewhere due to the high taxes and cost structure combined with business unfriendly politics. Those businesses have essentially left or are leaving or severely reducing their Californian footprints to just what’s essential. As a business if you didn’t need to be in California there is no reason to be there... it’s not a market you want to be in unless you need to be.
a businessman ignoring 40M people?

California is even bigger than Canada with more purchasing power

how many states is equal to california in market size?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California