U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 01:04 AM

1,790 posts, read 4,153,681 times

Advertisements

Bakersfield really is like any other mid-sized city,but because it's located Inland and has Hot Summers,Air Quality Issues and was the brunt of many jokes from other Californian's from the more Popular Cities it was given a negative image for many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richzimme View Post
Stopped for a night on my way from San Fran to Las Vegas and am frankly very impressed with this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 01:08 AM

Yup your right,most people who live in Bakersfield do like it,and the air quality is mostly an issue for people with a really sensitive respiratory system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
People who live in Bakersfield generally like it. Air quality is not the best, but people quality is very good

Old 05-05-2019, 01:33 AM

You did a wonderful job in describing Bakersfield,and yup I also agree it's on the upswing,and the city just continues to improve as time goes by. It seems like new housing communities,stores,restaurants,etc just seem to popup every year as the city grows.

It really is interesting how certain parts of Bakersfield is flat as a pancake while certain parts are hilly especially in the Northeast,and even neighborhoods can be so different depending on what area your in,and I also really like the older nice neighborhoods around the Oleander/Westchester Area or even some of the older nice neighborhoods that you'll find in the hilly parts as well,and also the view of the Mountains on clear days or when it's snow-capped is really a spectacular sight.

Yup,Bakersfield's Location is one of it's advantages since it's not too far from The Coast or The L.A Region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Bakersfield is on the upswing. Quality of life is good. I think it is a great place for families which is why I think it is starting to gain attention from millennial's most of whom now are looking to start a family and own a home if they haven't already started a family. It has everything a young family could need. Plenty of good day care options. Affordable housing options that can enable a spouse to stay at home with the kids if that is something you value.

I would say the best parts of Bakersfield are the south west and north west. As a general rule of thumb the further west you travel the newer and nicer Bakersfield is in both the North West and South West. Stockdale Hwy or Rosedale Hwy are commonly used as the North/West divider. I don't have actual numbers to back this up, but it seems to have a growing sikh and Indian population. Many doctors in the area Indian and just in the last 18-24 months we have had four new Indian restaurants open in the south west alone. I think culturally the south west is more diverse than the north west. We like the diversity and and have chose to live in the south west.

Typically Bakersfield is a very different city East of the 99 freeway. We would never want to live East of the 99 but with that said, there are pockets that are still very nice. Downtown is still habitable and has unique shopping, dinning and entertainment options. The oleander and Westchester area's near downtown are still nice. Some areas around the bluffs and Bakersfield College are still okay and out towards the foothills and the Rio Bravo area is very nice. Just unfortunately too far away from the west side.

Bakersfield's biggest negatives are the following:

1. Air Pollution and the negative stigma it comes with. The positive is that it is getting better with each passing year as the valley and state in general continue to go green. However, because of geography, we should expect Bakersfield to always rank among the worst metro's for pollution.

2. The heat. I don't personally mind the daytime highs. But i wish it would cool down more at night. You pretty much can never open your window at any point during the summer, even at night or early morning. It isn't as bad as Phoenix or Vegas but not as cool as other inland hot areas like Modesto or Paso Robles.

Quite a few families in Bakersfield have annual passes to Disneyland. We had one for a year. It's a two hour drive south without any traffic. Hollywood, Dodger Stadium (many folks from Bakersfield make this trip regularly throughout the season) Universal Studios only about and hour and half. I think it has great options for coastal trips. You can choose to go to the more scenic Central Coast and visit Morro Bay, Avila, Pismo, Montana De Orro, Cayucous. Or travel to the beaches south and hit Santa Monica Pier, Venice Beach, Seal Beach, Huntington Beach or Ventura. All of these are about 2-2.5 hours away. I don't think there is any other valley metro that gives you the option of that kind of coastal diversity.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:29 AM

5,110 posts, read 2,208,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
You did a wonderful job in describing Bakersfield,

It really is interesting how certain parts of Bakersfield is flat as a pancake while certain parts are hilly especially in the Northeast
Thanks Califrorniaguy.

Yeah, sometimes I wish the city had built it's new construction towards the foothills instead of the flat ground towards Interstate 5. But I guess if the new construction was built towards the foothills you would be adding a good 20 minutes or more to your commute to the central coast but you would have the trade off that you would be 20 minutes closer to the Kern River Valley.

I guess the story behind the growth to the west side is in part due Castle and Cooke donating the land in the south west where CSUB currently sits many years ago before they built the university. Before the land donation the university was likely to be built at the mouth of the Kern River on the foothills. That would have been a beautiful campus. But I guess things worked out okay this way too. Castle and Cooke has since probably built a third of the homes in the south west area since the mid 90's and some of the commercial areas like the river walk shopping center I believe.

OP, what part of Bakersfield did you stay at and see?

Old 05-05-2019, 09:52 AM

189 posts, read 145,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where are you from, that Bakersfield would seem impressive?
Maybe surprised would be a better word than impressed?

Old 05-05-2019, 10:00 AM

189 posts, read 145,515 times
These other guys pretty much covered it. If you have a good job, you can really live well in Bakersfield. Even if you make minimum wage, you can still get by.

The local economy/real estate is on a completely different level than LA. Even when comparing it to another relatively cheap area relative to the majority of LA county (The Antelope Valley in northern LA County) it still comes out on top.

https://www.turnto23.com/news/local-...age-study-says

The biggest positives I've seen so far:

Cost of living.
Mid size city amenities without absurd traffic/congestion.
Lots of very new and nice neighborhoods/roadways and amenities being built.
Cal State University in town.
If you want to travel anywhere in northern/central CA, you are already above all of the LA traffic.
High Speed Rail may eventually be here, lol, and it will be the first area with it.
It's not a suburb, it's a mid-size city, if that's what you're looking for, real downtown, etc...
Great spot for weekend trips. Death Valley, the Kern River, the Redwoods, Paso Robles wine country and Lake Isabella are all great short trips.

and the negatives:

Air quality is not good.
The east side is a high crime area.
Not a reasonable drive to Vegas.
LA is not a reasonable commute for a 5 day work week. Nor is it convenient to go out for a night. You better be happy with what Bakersfield has to offer, because there are no other cities that are a short drive for fun, most things become a weekend trip.

Last edited by JB316; 05-05-2019 at 10:12 AM..

Old 05-05-2019, 10:08 AM

84,586 posts, read 77,766,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
Maybe surprised would be a better word than impressed?
OK, I can go with that. Apparently Bakersfield has really changed from the days when it was mainly a semi-desert oil town. Because of the heat, I just haven't paid it any mind. Good for Bakersfield!

What's its water source, btw?

Old 05-05-2019, 06:04 PM

13,547 posts, read 25,720,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What's its water source, btw?
Some of it is the Kern River.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:02 PM

3,443 posts, read 2,363,893 times
one thing noticed with our friends living in Bakersfield is that they seem to have lots of time compared to us living in OC

Old 05-06-2019, 11:50 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,131,108 times
One big negative for me would be--no major airport with major carriers. It would stink to have to drive to Burbank or LAX to get a decent fare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California