Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 09:33 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times

Advertisements

Asking what the weather will be like in California is like asking what the weather is going to be like from New York to South Carolina. California is a huge state, and has many climate zones.

And even within a relatively small part of the state, there are many variations. I'm in San Diego County and live 18 miles inland. When it's "Gloomy" at the coast, it's often bright and sunny here, but I'm also at 3500 foot elevation, so every now and then we'll get a dusting of snow. Go another 50 miles east of us and it can be 85 degrees while we're pulling on jackets.

For example, here are the predicted weather for today for the places on your itinerary:

Disneyland/Anaheim: high 76, low 60, sun with some clouds

Monterey: high 62, low 50, cloudy

Yosemite: high 72, low 50, sun with some clouds

Sequoia National Park: high 42, low 30, sunny

Palm Springs: high 95, low 70, sun no clouds

So, if you don't like the weather where you are in California, drive a bit and more often than not you'll find something you prefer.

That said, do pack a sweater or sweatshirt for everyone in your family. It does get chillier at higher elevations (like Sequoia) and you'll probably also appreciate having one by the coast, where it can get chilly at night. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to pack a light waterproof windbreaker.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-14-2019 at 10:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 09:42 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Thanks, I had to laugh when I first heard someone call a lupine a 'bluebonnet' since I grew up with them in CA. But then I found out they were the Texas state flower. I guess its like a Texan calling a poppy an Texas Orangebuckle or some other name - sacrilegious! Haha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupinus_albifrons

Derek
The wild lupines in California are in the same family as the bluebonnet in Texas, but they're different plants (sub-species).

According to the California Native Plant Society, California has over 120 different types of wild lupines! But, the Lupinus texensis and Lupinus subcarnosus (the "Texas bluebonnets") don't grow naturally here.

Great photos, MtnSurfer!

Old 05-14-2019, 10:32 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
gee where was I those 45 years I lived in Ca? yes, there was often overcast skies until maybe noon, but I don't remember days or weeks without seeing the sun. We lived in San Diego, Los Angeles, the bay area and Eureka. Well, Eureka was sometimes pretty crappy in June, but not even there did we ever go weeks without seeing the sun. I think saying weeks is a bit over the top!!!! Where in the world do you live that you can say we go weeks or even days? Maybe 1 year but that is like my saying here in AR we have some days with no humidity to talk about or winters where we never saw a snowflake. Of course there are exceptions to all rules.
I’m guessing you never lived on the coast during that time. Yes weeks, plural, is a bit over the top, but several days in a row to a week isn’t at all. I also have a business at the beach and have heard countless times from tourists over the years that they haven’t seen the sun here all week, or usually it’s now the sun comes out on our last day here. They did when they traveled inland though.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:35 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've never heard of June Gloom and I've only lived here 60+ years.
It's bad this year almost like rain. Well, in between the rains. It feels more like Portland and is actually more like our winter. Yuck. It clears out about 11 am and starts to cloud up again by 3 or so.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:40 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
gee where was I those 45 years I lived in Ca? yes, there was often overcast skies until maybe noon, but I don't remember days or weeks without seeing the sun. We lived in San Diego, Los Angeles, the bay area and Eureka. Well, Eureka was sometimes pretty crappy in June, but not even there did we ever go weeks without seeing the sun. I think saying weeks is a bit over the top!!!! Where in the world do you live that you can say we go weeks or even days? Maybe 1 year but that is like my saying here in AR we have some days with no humidity to talk about or winters where we never saw a snowflake. Of course there are exceptions to all rules.
Around the year 2000 we had a summer in Pacific Beach where we literally didn't see the sun for two months. It was misting, windy and nasty. It SUCKED! I drove every day off to the Mts. so I could see some sun and get out of the depressing, cold mist.

I'm hoping it's not going to be like that this year.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:53 AM

3,464 posts, read 5,261,238 times
Nobody seems to be mentioning or noticing that California is poised for record-breaking rain this week, especially towards the northern half of the state, which could get two months worth of rain in one day. But even down here in San Diego, we are looking at a good 1/2 inch. The only Silver Lining is that places like Palm Springs will be 20 degrees below average and in the 70s, but most state will be in the 60s only. Don't expect any SoCal Beach weather this week...

Old 05-14-2019, 11:00 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Around the year 2000 we had a summer in Pacific Beach where we literally didn't see the sun for two months. It was misting, windy and nasty. It SUCKED! I drove every day off to the Mts. so I could see some sun and get out of the depressing, cold mist.

I'm hoping it's not going to be like that this year.
Oh man, I remember that year, not specific year, very well. My coworkers would come to work at night saying what a beautiful day it was inland, yet I never saw the sun as I rarely went more than 2 blocks inland. I remember going to a bunch of Wed/Thur and Sunday Padres day games at the Murph that summer to sit out in the sun for a few hours to work on my tan.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:54 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Don't use the word "Cali" when you're here, and people will treat you nicer.

Even I've given up lecturing people about that. Have a good friend from Florida who's mother lives here and that's what he calls it. Easier to just go with the flow.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:01 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
So, as some of your know (and thanks for all your help btw), i've been planning our 3 week adventure from the east coast for the past 6 months. Going in early June. Seeing OC (3 days), Cambria (1), San Fran (3), Yosemite (5), Sequia (1), Palm Springs (3).
I have everything booked and paid for.....

Now a couple of days ago, someone tells me about this thing you guys have called "June Gloom".....she tells me whatever you do, don't go to cali in June cause it's cold and generally a [mod cut] month to be on the west coast. FML!

needless to say, i'm a little bummed out. should have done more research i suppose. my fault :-(
June Gloom is most prevalent on the Southern California Coast (OC). You won't have any problems with it in Yosemite, Sequoia, or Palm Springs, since those are all inland. You might have a problem with it in San Francisco & Cambria. But SF and Cambria can get fog and low clouds any time of year. However, fog is thickest on the Central and NorCal coasts in July and August. September & October are generally the warmest & sunniest months on the Central & NorCal Coasts, but Spring (April to June) is probably the second best time of year to go for sun. However, the weather in places like Cambria & SF can be cool/chilly any time of year (think 60-65 with a breeze).

Old 05-14-2019, 12:03 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
hah really? i had no idea.
won't.....but curious...why?
We find it annoying, like nails on a chalkboard. We don't refer to Arkansas as "Arki" do we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California