Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2019, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,644 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

We're leaving from Oakland Ca to Redding Ca + Weed Ca (leaving Saturday morning and back on Sunday evening).

Also, we'll be heading to Shasta National Park. We want it to be a weekend getaway! Any advice? Can we see animals around the area? Bears or Coyotes?

Any must be visited/seen places?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 09:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
It's going to be really hot. I've never been to the caves up there, but if I was going up there this weekend, I'd check them out in order to be cool.

Another place to cool down would be Whiskeytown Lake. It's too late to reserve a free kayak tour, but I think you can also pay to rent a kayak. I lived up there for a year and I used to go there for the free kayak tours and they're great.

If you need a cheap but decent place to stay, I can recommend the Thunderbird Lodge in downtown Redding.

You could check to see if there's anything you'd want to see at the downtown theater or even the auditorium.

Turtle Bay museum is nice and it would be cool inside.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
It's going to be really hot. I've never been to the caves up there, but if I was going up there this weekend, I'd check them out in order to be cool.

Another place to cool down would be Whiskeytown Lake. It's too late to reserve a free kayak tour, but I think you can also pay to rent a kayak. I lived up there for a year and I used to go there for the free kayak tours and they're great.

If you need a cheap but decent place to stay, I can recommend the Thunderbird Lodge in downtown Redding.

You could check to see if there's anything you'd want to see at the downtown theater or even the auditorium.

Turtle Bay museum is nice and it would be cool inside.
Thanks! Already in Redding!

Although not sure if we wanna go to Weed!

Old 06-17-2019, 02:54 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
My wife, young'uns, & i enjoyed exploring the Shasta Caverns. It was nice & cool in there with all the Stalagmites & stalactites. It was beautiful to us.

https://www.google.com/search?source...j0.Ybwqsx4Kx2U
It was August,

1976 & it was HOT. The lake water level was way down. I think i heard it was down 200'.

This year they are catching some Big crappie in Shasta...

https://www.google.com/search?source...60.dMWz6nujI1Y

Old 06-17-2019, 10:50 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
There's nothing in Weed, but possibly more weed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California