Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 11:30 PM

16 posts, read 23,947 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Austin, TX and San Diego, CA over the past 15 years. I am ready to leave the traffic + city life behind for small town living.

I prefer a quaint liberal environment + access to healthy food + plenty of natural elements not invaded by concrete/buildings. I am a nature lover and enjoy spending time outdoors in fresh air. I love the forests in Northern California but find the cost of living too expensive. Any suggestions on affordable + quaint small towns in the U.S. that meet my criteria? I'm currently researching Santa Fe, NM + Taos, NM + Arizona + California. I'm open to areas I've not listed as well. I would be grateful for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 10:36 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times
I dunno how expensive the rentals are in these CA areas but you might check on Fortuna, McCloud, Weaverville, Burney, Quincy and Bishop.

In AZ: Williams, Camp Verde / Cottonwood, maybe Jerome, maybe Payson.

In NM: Silver City.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:20 AM

thanks, nw crow! i'll research them today.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:25 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
OP - “the U.S.” is an awfully big geographic area given the sparse criteria you’ve listed.

“Affordable” would be what for you?

Climate considerations?

Economy base?

Your profession (if you need to find work)?

Recreational venues (mountains, rivers, ocean, lakes, fishing, skiing, hunting, hiking, etc)

Old 06-23-2019, 11:35 AM

tulemutt, thank you for responding. all good questions. (yes, i am pretty open to location right now.)

i will be renting a home and would like to keep it under $1400/month.

i prefer warmth to snow, but i also love the forest so i'm open to cooler winters for the sake of the trees. i will be working from home so i will not need to find work although i'd like to be able to teach classes at a nearby yoga studio.

safety/low crime is important. i love hiking so outdoor trails are always a bonus but i don't need any recreational venues other than trees and space to roam. i hope this information helps. thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:58 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
The far north coast of CA would fit your budget: Fortuna, Ferndale, McKinleyville, Trinidad, Arcata. Rents are currently within your budget (not sure about Arcata, a college town, but probably), but no guarantees that they'll be stable longer-term. Redwood forests to beat the band, hiking trails, scenic rivers (fishing!).

he more affordable rents in the Taos area are around the outskirts. Look south, in Ranchos de Taos. and Arroyo Seco, north of town. You should able to find rentals easily within your budget in Santa Fe, too, though the COL is a little higher there. Make sure the rentals you're considering have A/C. Surprisingly, some don't, and many don't have A/C, but evaporative air, i.e. "swamp cooler". It's better than nothing, but on more humid days, you'll wish you had A/C.Taos is more beautiful, by far, IMO, but is much smaller, and tends to get dust storms.

Port Townsend, WA, is affordable to you, is at the foot of the majestic Olympic Mountains, and is on a corner of land bordered by both Puget Sound and the Strait of Juan de Fuca. It's a hiking town, biking, kayaking and sailing. All stores are locally-owned except for.a Safeway. There's a great food co-op, and there are farms around the outskirts and beyond--fresh, local produce, etc. Very scenic, winter snow is rare, and it stays cool even during heat waves, for the most part, due to the ocean breezes blowing past along the Strait, and cool air coming down from Alaska and Canada, from the north. Near the scenic San Juan Islands, for more hiking and biking.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildintheforest View Post
tulemutt, thank you for responding. all good questions. (yes, i am pretty open to location right now.)

i will be renting a home and would like to keep it under $1400/month.

i prefer warmth to snow, but i also love the forest so i'm open to cooler winters for the sake of the trees. i will be working from home so i will not need to find work although i'd like to be able to teach classes at a nearby yoga studio.

safety/low crime is important. i love hiking so outdoor trails are always a bonus but i don't need any recreational venues other than trees and space to roam. i hope this information helps. thanks for any suggestions you may have.
NW Washington (Olympia area, south of Seattle metro ... or Mt. Vernon north to Bellingham and Blaine, north of Seattle Metro.) Wet ½ the year, though.

A particularly interesting spot would be Port Townsend, WA on the Olympic Peninsula. Small, quaint to the max, historic seaport town. Endless forests, hiking, biking. Nicest people on the planet. Skews retirement age but active, not fuddy-duddy. Loads of liberal, hippie, natural food, yoga lifestyle types. Absolutely my personal favorite town in the world (though I don’t live there), not that what I like should be important to you

Port Townsend is also situated in a unique climatic anomaly. There is a weather pattern called locally a “blue hole” that swirls around Port Townsend’s location on the tip of the Quimper Peninsula the juts into Puget Sound. The two mountain ranges, Olympics right near Pt. Townsend, and the Cascade Range across the Sound, act with the ocean opening into the region to push cloud around the mountains in a way that leaves Pt. Townsend with ½ the rain, or less, than most of the surrounding NW area. There isn’t really much difference in winter sunshine (which is rare from later October through March) and temperatures are the same ( quite chilly, but rarely any freezes) as most of the far NW. Just less wet.

Years back I answered a guy from Wisconsin with some similar criteria. He’s a niche farmer. He came out and stayed with a friend of mine in the San Juan Islands (also low rainfall in same pattern as PT) and toured Pt. Townsend when I was there. Turned into a great friendship. He bought property the same year and moved his family. Says it’s the greatest match for him / family he could imagine. I visit him multiple times a year still.

Good luck.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The far north coast of CA would fit your budget: Fortuna, Ferndale, McKinleyville, Trinidad, Arcata. Rents are currently within your budget (not sure about Arcata, a college town, but probably), but no guarantees that they'll be stable longer-term. Redwood forests to beat the band, hiking trails, scenic rivers (fishing!).

he more affordable rents in the Taos area are around the outskirts. Look south, in Ranchos de Taos. and Arroyo Seco, north of town. You should able to find rentals easily within your budget in Santa Fe, too, though the COL is a little higher there. Make sure the rentals you're considering have A/C. Surprisingly, some don't, and many don't have A/C, but evaporative air, i.e. "swamp cooler". It's better than nothing, but on more humid days, you'll wish you had A/C.Taos is more beautiful, by far, IMO, but is much smaller, and tends to get dust storms.

Port Townsend, WA, is affordable to you, is at the foot of the majestic Olympic Mountains, and is on a corner of land bordered by both Puget Sound and the Strait of Juan de Fuca. It's a hiking town, biking, kayaking and sailing. All stores are locally-owned except for.a Safeway. There's a great food co-op, and there are farms around the outskirts and beyond--fresh, local produce, etc. Very scenic, winter snow is rare, and it stays cool even during heat waves, for the most part, due to the ocean breezes blowing past along the Strait, and cool air coming down from Alaska and Canada, from the north. Near the scenic San Juan Islands, for more hiking and biking.
Yes. Ruth has answered similarly while I was typing.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:24 PM

545 posts, read 513,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildintheforest View Post
I have lived in Austin, TX and San Diego, CA over the past 15 years. I am ready to leave the traffic + city life behind for small town living.

I prefer a quaint liberal environment + access to healthy food + plenty of natural elements not invaded by concrete/buildings. I am a nature lover and enjoy spending time outdoors in fresh air. I love the forests in Northern California but find the cost of living too expensive. Any suggestions on affordable + quaint small towns in the U.S. that meet my criteria? I'm currently researching Santa Fe, NM + Taos, NM + Arizona + California. I'm open to areas I've not listed as well. I would be grateful for any insight.
If you prefer a liberal environment, I would think any college town would be great for you. And there are a lot of them.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:37 PM

ruth4truth, thank you so much for your suggestions! i LOVE the redwood forests (prairie creek in particular). by far the most magical place i've visted in the states, so i will do some more research on the smaller towns in northern california.

i've been feeling a strong pull toward the taos area. i'll check out the two nearby towns you mentioned.

and port townsend, wa sounds dreamy. my only concern would be the cold weather. other than that it sounds right up my alley in every way. i've heard about it but not in detail the way you described. so thank you for painting that picture for me. truly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California