Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 03:27 AM

60 posts, read 60,703 times

Advertisements

The Terrain here in CA is much more complex and odd, much more unstable. That's why you just find cute towns or small cities like Julian, Big Bear, arrowhead, tehachapi, yosemite, mammoth etc... But CA does get pretty cold too in lower flatter elevations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 02:43 AM

478 posts, read 691,111 times
Fresno/Clovis has all 4. it gets hot in the summer, perfect through fall, and winter gets super cold in contrast with the summer and it even snows in Fresno technically (fresno county) up sierras/shaver lake/china peak which is an hour away. then spring is perfect. It's that summer that gets to a lot of people. You can either put up with it or you dont, BUT its not as bad as Las Vegas, AZ, and Texas (with humidity)

Old 09-05-2019, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
My guess would be that any place in California that actually gets a decent amount of snow, heck even just a little bit of snow like Tehachapi, is going to be in the Mountains. That means you have a lot of uneven and steep terrain. Not as easy to build a big sprawling city like in the more flat North East or even Pacific North West near the coastline.
no, not really. the entirety of modoc county in california is relatively flat and ready for building. and the whole damn county has 4 seasons, with a good amount of snowfall. California isn't as hot and dry as you think it is

Old 09-06-2019, 02:21 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soumily View Post
no, not really. the entirety of modoc county in california is relatively flat and ready for building. and the whole damn county has 4 seasons, with a good amount of snowfall. California isn't as hot and dry as you think it is
Ok, but covered above. Alturas is the county seat of Modoc County and is pretty small. Plus it IS high elevation and very little else in terms of human habitation is around save even towns as small or smaller.
There needs to be a motivation WHY to build something large there. (Not that I'm suggesting it should happen).

I understand that in a number of countries the population centers are at high elevations and in the mountains (in the tropics) but that's because the alternative is pretty gross much of the year (hot and humid with bugs, or dry and dusty with little rain) in those places.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,726 times
paso robles seems to have 4 seasons.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:55 AM

848 posts, read 967,452 times
What, so we're not counting winter as a 4th season in some areas just because it doesn't snow?

Old 09-25-2019, 01:40 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
Apparently so. Winter may have rains of frog-strangulating proportions with attendant flooding and mud slides yet it's not considered a true season for some people. Just because you don't have to shovel the white icy stuff doesn't make it "not a fourth season". I don't get it and never will.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:08 PM

50,277 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Apparently so. Winter may have rains of frog-strangulating proportions with attendant flooding and mud slides yet it's not considered a true season for some people. Just because you don't have to shovel the white icy stuff doesn't make it "not a fourth season". I don't get it and never will.
Even down here in San Diego I can look out my window in Feb and see a snow capped Mt so we as a county do get 4 seasons. They won't even let us up without chains sometimes.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:48 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
Oh yes! I'm a third generation San Diegan (there are two more generations after me there too - I'm an old fossil) and I have fond memories of Julian in the snow and the Cuyamaca Mountains and Palomar Mountain with snow caps. People who are unfamiliar with San Diego beyond the coastal areas are always surprised when I talk about the snow and the desert, specifically Borrego Springs. And you really can visit both in one day, and maybe squeeze in a trip to the beach too, if you're really ambitious. It's a wonderful place!

Old 09-29-2019, 10:25 PM

227 posts, read 146,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
What, so we're not counting winter as a 4th season in some areas just because it doesn't snow?
uh, yes we are, but I'm talking about ALL four DISTINCT seasons, not just a small change in summer vs winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California