Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 34,525 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've just gotten a job offer in Modesto, and I'm thinking to relocate to there from East Coast.

Does anyone know about the area around West Granger & Scenic Drive? Is it safe? From the data I got online, the crime statistics is pretty high

Any suggestions about where to live in Modesto? My only concern is safety
How about areas around Modesto e.g. Tracy, Lathrop...etc? Any suggestions?
I'll be great if it's more "urban-like" but I think it's not really possible

Thank you so much, and have a GREAT holiday everyone!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 02:08 AM

313 posts, read 831,405 times
As far as I know Granger and Scenic don't meet as they basically run the same direction. From Scenic you would take Bodem and that splits off into Sunrise and then the end of Granger meets up with Sunrise. That whole area in there I would avoid. I can try to help you with areas if you want, just PM me. I was born and raised in Modesto. I moved 3 years ago but I go there all the time since I have family there.

Tracy is a little far from Modesto and a lot more expensive. I personally think that Lathrop would be a little far also. Salida, Ripon, Waterford, Oakdale, Hughson or Turlock would be better choices, IMO. Good luck!!

Old 12-22-2006, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 34,525 times
Thank you so much

Actually I'll be working in West Granger & Scenic Drive area so I want to know about the safety issue. Then probably it's not going to be the area I will want to live, right?
Any advice on nice neighbourhoods in Modesto?

I'm thinking about Tracy becuase it's closer to bay area. How about Ripon? Is it generally safe & nice?

If I really move further out from Modesto, is the traffic from e.g. Tracy to Modesto bad? As it's the opposite direction from people going to bay area to work, so I hope it won't be bad.

Thank you!! )

Old 01-12-2007, 12:06 AM

1 posts, read 17,255 times
We live in Tracy. We are from the Bay Area (San Jose and Fremont), and moved to Tracy because it was affordable and not big and congested like SJ and Fremont. Tracy is a GREAT town and we love it here. We live by a new school that is excellent. We are about 20-30 mins to Central Modesto and the commute isn't as horrible going East as it is West/South (SF or SJ) or even North to Sacto. We commute to SJ and are on the road about 3 hours a day...it is taking its toll.
The market jumped/spiked and has settled and why we still couldn't afford to buy our own home three years after we bought it, it has dropped almost $100k in the last year! Anyway, Tracy is a great town...growing nicely, the growth seems to be well thought out and controlled so far! Watch for some neighborhoods with larger homes as there are a large number of multi-families living under one roof which leads to crowded streets/parking etc.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:32 PM

111 posts, read 273,638 times
Tracy would definatly be your best choice if you are working in modesto. I cant really think of any areas between sac and modesto that are better than tracy. as far as the central valley is concerned. Tracy is reasonably more pricey than other central valley cities due to the fact that the upscale trivalley suburbs such as dublin, pleasanton and livermoore are on the otherside of the hill which makes for access to higher paying jobs in these cities as well as further in the bay.

While the housing market has dipped (its straining coast to coast) no one knows for how long. The growth in tracy is seen as finally getting put under control now that residents have enacted a slow growth ordinence ( which the city tries to work around anywas). the city has grown from 56,000 when my dad moved there and is now at 80,000.

Most of tracy is tract homes and strip malls as with any inland california town. Crime is on the rise with population and is starting to become more of a concern for residents (mind you the city is still way safer than Sac, stockton, modesto, turlock etc.)

as ckjj stated the higher cost of housing forces many to rent homes instead. And it is not uncommon to see latinos and other types of immigrants living multi family in one single family home.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 17,175 times
Default Moving to Modesto

We will be moving from Germany to California. We have a young son (9 years). My job will be in Modesto and my wife might find a job in Bay Area.

Can anyone hel pwith us suggesting is Modesto a good place for us to live and what are the other options (I was reading some suggestions related to Tracey, Pleasanton etc.). I dont mind driving 40-45 t owork.

The option I would also look for is buying a house with 3 Bedrooms.

any help suggestions regarding Modesto and other towns with resepct to crime, living standards, schools will be appreciated.

Regards
Josh

Old 06-13-2007, 09:52 PM

14 posts, read 105,596 times
I would rather live in MODESTO anyday ..I lived in Tracy for a few years, my parents were born there. Modesto's college area is beautiful! Tree-lined streets, walk to downtown, parks...great community...really good schools... Magnolia Ave, Sycamore, Carolyn... these are AMAZING streets!

Old 06-13-2007, 09:53 PM

California Real Estate - Juliet Rees-Evans - Serving Stanislaus

Old 09-03-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Modesto Moves

We have a 9 year old, an 11 year old, and a one year old. We know the schools thoroughly. Enslen Elementary is excellent as well as Lakewood which has rated high time and time again..(and is near scenic!)..
I will be VERY HONEST about Modesto and Im a broker here (working with my husband)..ask away!
Crime... I would say west side and airport district.. anything North Modesto or Central college area is a bit better ...but Id be happy to discuss this further. Modesto is urban and has alot of promise..a good music scene..
an Arts Center opening up (huge deal)..good restaurants that arent all chains...and 2 junior college campuses!
Thank you,
Juliet Rees-Evans

Last edited by sunspun; 09-03-2007 at 12:51 AM..

Old 09-03-2007, 12:46 AM

Default Modesto

Joshker, My husband is originally from England... Give us a call if you would like.2095783737 Some info on neighborhoods: College area..custom cottagey homes..lots of trees, established schools, North Modesto..alot of growth, huge homes, nice schools, less commute to Bay Area.. East..cheaper housing..good neighborhoods and schools. My opinion but Ive been living here and selling real estate with my husband for 7 years.
Its a buyers market here for sure but Gallo Performing Arts center is just opening as well as bike trails... its a good place..!And the commute from Tracy to Modesto is bad..mostly just from Tracy to Manteca though!

Last edited by sunspun; 09-03-2007 at 12:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California