Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Sick of Alabama: moving to California, apartments for rent, rental prices, living expense, allergy relief.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 03:08 PM

75 posts, read 304,375 times

Advertisements

I currently had to move the town of Huntsville Alabama due to my husband taking a transfer through Boeing.

We lived in Alaska as of 2.5 weeks ago..... we loved it very much back home, but did want to move back to the states... Just not here.

This transfer was the only job offer so to speak though on the table as my husband had been laid off from Boeing there at Ft. Greely.

So we took it for a few reasons... we were able to keep an income this way and still be within the same company as such while looking for another position.

The problems we are facing now are as follows:

My kids and I have really bad allergies as well as asthma and exzema problems which are all worse in this part of the USA.

We have lived short term in California before and we know that it is a good area for us that way.
Alaska was the best by far that way, but California is great to. The physicians have all said that the West Coastal areas would be the better part of the country for us that way....

I understand that it is a good thing if you can stay within the same company, but there are a lot of other Engineering, Manufacturing, Aerospace Ect... type positions and companies in California that pay a lot more then what we are getting now.

The other issue is that when Boeing transfered us for this position here in Alabama they paid a full relocation. We will have to pay everything back to Boeing if we leave before 12 months time for another offer or even a transfer.

I am not sure if they will take payments on that pay back arrangement or not... or if we would have to pay it all in one lumps sum.

Part of me has thought about moving the kids and I out to California until either my husband lands another offer out there or until he gets a transfer of some sort....

I have found rentals there cheaper then what we are paying here. I never thought a Southern State could be so costly... but believe me coming from Alaska I knew what I thought was costly, but here in Alabama where I cant find milk cheaper then $4.49a gal.... Our rent for a 3.5 bedroom house here is 1900 a month and that does not include utilities or any land....

I have found the same cost if not better for rentals in the California area.

I have even found some that include utilities and a gardner...

The food costs more here in Alabama then what we paid in Delta Junction Alaska.....

I am very upset about being here. I just dont want to cause a rukus over it all. I am not sure what we can and cant do with the whole Boeing thing. My husband isnt sure if he should talk with his new manager about this or not as we have only been here for a short time.

If anyone on here is from Boeing or another company like it that would know what the ins and outs are that way and weather my husband should ask or talk with his manager about this right now... Any input would be appreciated.
THank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 03:35 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
My kids and I have really bad allergies as well as asthma and exzema problems which are all worse in this part of the USA.
Can't help with your relocation plans, but you could try taking Nasonex and Advair .... probably you already have prescribed medications though. However you seem to have an excess of inflammatory/immune problems, and I have found additional relief by taking fish oil and turmeric for that.

The fish oil (preferably Norwegian codliver oil) you need large amounts of, at least three of the horse sized capsules per day, or the straight item .... one full tablespoon per day. Horrible stuff. You could also eat salmon or sardines for this.

The turmeric ... what's the active ingredient name? Curcumin? If you can find curcumin buy it, if not put a lot of turmeric into your food.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:48 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowFlower View Post
I currently had to move the town of Huntsville Alabama due to my husband taking a transfer through Boeing.

We lived in Alaska as of 2.5 weeks ago..... we loved it very much back home, but did want to move back to the states... Just not here.

I don't understand what you wrote....Where is home? Alaska or California.

This transfer was the only job offer so to speak though on the table as my husband had been laid off from Boeing there at Ft. Greely.

I don't understand what you wrote....what is "on the table"?
I don't understand what you wrote....You just wrote he transferred. Was he laid off or transferred?

So we took it for a few reasons... we were able to keep an income this way and still be within the same company as such while looking for another position.

The problems we are facing now are as follows:

We have lived short term in California before and we know that it is a good area for us that way.
Alaska was the best by far that way, but California is great to. The physicians have all said that the West Coastal areas would be the better part of the country for us that way....

I understand that it is a good thing if you can stay within the same company, but there are a lot of other Engineering, Manufacturing, Aerospace Ect... type positions and companies in California that pay a lot more then what we are getting now.

The other issue is that when Boeing transfered us for this position here in Alabama they paid a full relocation. We will have to pay everything back to Boeing if we leave before 12 months time for another offer or even a transfer.

I am not sure if they will take payments on that pay back arrangement or not... or if we would have to pay it all in one lumps sum.

Part of me has thought about moving the kids and I out to California until either my husband lands another offer out there or until he gets a transfer of some sort....

I have found rentals there cheaper then what we are paying here. I never thought a Southern State could be so costly... but believe me coming from Alaska I knew what I thought was costly, but here in Alabama where I cant find milk cheaper then $4.49a gal.... Our rent for a 3.5 bedroom house here is 1900 a month and that does not include utilities or any land....

You're kidding, right? You are complaining about costs in Alabama while referencing California?

I have found the same cost if not better for rentals in the California area.

I have even found some that include utilities and a gardner...

The food costs more here in Alabama then what we paid in Delta Junction Alaska.....

I am very upset about being here. I just dont want to cause a rukus over it all. I am not sure what we can and cant do with the whole Boeing thing. My husband isnt sure if he should talk with his new manager about this or not as we have only been here for a short time.

If anyone on here is from Boeing or another company like it that would know what the ins and outs are that way and weather my husband should ask or talk with his manager about this right now... Any input would be appreciated.
THank you
While I understand that the allergy situation may be better in California, you'll have to put up with the $350-$400/sqft housing, 24/7 traffic, garbage school districts, and social problems.

Realize that engineers in Los Angeles make exactly 6.8% more than engineers in Huntsville (and Houston and Colorado). I checked.

Huntsville is a family man engineer's dream.

California can be worked if you are single and rent and can live near where you work. Once you have kids and you need to live in a nice home in a nice neighborhood with decent schools the whole game changes.

Here's what you get in California near Boeing jobs, 1594 square feet, built in 1958....$780K. P.O.S. That's right folks.

http://p.rdcpix.com/v01/la5db5b41-m0l.jpg

(not a copywritten photo)

Old 04-19-2008, 03:59 PM

75 posts, read 304,375 times
Thank you .... Blunt and to the point...

He took a transfer due to a lay off in Alaska... He was offered the transfer within Boeing the last day of work in Alaska....

I am not talking about the cost of buying a home there.. all though I have looked into that as well... I know that buying is more then likely a bit higher then here... but renting I have found more then enough homes there that fit our needs that way that are cheaper or the same and just as nice if not better...

For our health issues it would be ideal to live there not here... .Also to be honest I would prefer there and not here... Meaning California is preffered not Alabama.

I am just trying to find out as much and how tos in going about all of this ... that is all..

I am leaning toward moving out there with my kids until he recievs either a better offer or a transfer within Boeing again.... That may be the only way or fastest way to get a transfer within Boeing actualy seeming his family would be living in California at that point.

I dont know lots to think about that way... I just know that I dont want to be here and the cost of medical for my 5 kids and I to be in and out of the docs for our issues is going to get a bit more costly then it ever would there.

Again thank you for your input.. I really appreciate it.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Thank you .... Blunt and to the point...

He took a transfer due to a lay off in Alaska... He was offered the transfer within Boeing the last day of work in Alaska....

I am not talking about the cost of buying a home there.. all though I have looked into that as well... I know that buying is more then likely a bit higher then here... but renting I have found more then enough homes there that fit our needs that way that are cheaper or the same and just as nice if not better...

For our health issues it would be ideal to live there not here... .Also to be honest I would prefer there and not here... Meaning California is preffered not Alabama.

I am just trying to find out as much and how tos in going about all of this ... that is all..

I am leaning toward moving out there with my kids until he recievs either a better offer or a transfer within Boeing again.... That may be the only way or fastest way to get a transfer within Boeing actualy seeming his family would be living in California at that point.

I dont know lots to think about that way... I just know that I dont want to be here and the cost of medical for my 5 kids and I to be in and out of the docs for our issues is going to get a bit more costly then it ever would there.

Again thank you for your input.. I really appreciate it.
Rents are skyrocketing in California because so many people in California are losing their homes, the demand for rent has increased.

I can understand the health/medical argument regarding the allergies. I don't understand any of the economic argument.

I noticed your post on the California board about Vandenberg. I checked out homes there too.....barely cheaper than LA, barely.

Bay Area rents still rising

Housing crisis pushes rents higher

Old 04-19-2008, 04:25 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
[quote=SnowFlower;3512788]I am not talking about the cost of buying a home there.. all though I have looked into that as well... I know that buying is more then likely a bit higher then here... but renting I have found more then enough homes there that fit our needs that way that are cheaper or the same and just as nice if not better...
QUOTE]

I understand wanting to make the move. However, I have to ask where are the homes you are in California that you say have a comparable rent. It would help if you could say cities because perhaps you have found homes in really bad areas or in a horrible school district or something. I know in most cities of Southern California at least, the nice cities/areas only have condos for under $2,000 a month rent. Are you ok with living in a condo? If you could maybe mention some of the cities or neighborhoods you found these homes that are "cheaper or the same, and just as nice if not better" it would be really helpful for seeing your point of view.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:41 PM

[quote=missionhome;3512951]
Quote:
QUOTE]

I understand wanting to make the move. However, I have to ask where are the homes you are in California that you say have a comparable rent. It would help if you could say cities because perhaps you have found homes in really bad areas or in a horrible school district or something. I know in most cities of Southern California at least, the nice cities/areas only have condos for under $2,000 a month rent. Are you ok with living in a condo? If you could maybe mention some of the cities or neighborhoods you found these homes that are "cheaper or the same, and just as nice if not better" it would be really helpful for seeing your point of view.
Taking it one step further, I integrated those thoughts with the Boeing locations in California (I know most of them). Boeing is really big from Irvine to El Segundo. Very, very expensive places to live. Boeing is also at Vandenberg AFB; Beautiful place to live, Buellton, Solvang, Paso Robles, Pismo Beach, Santa Maria, Lompoc, San Luis Obispo, Arroyo Grande, and Santa Ynez....none of these places are inexpensive...they are very nice places to live...rents will not be even close to HSV.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:26 PM

107 posts, read 1,007,638 times
If your husband gets a job in Irvine, you can live in Oceanside, but a house in a decent area will be more like 2100/month for a 3/2...most of the cheaper houses are in not-so-good areas.

I can relate with not being happy in a certain area. I followed my husband (then boyfriend) from CA to the midwest and hated it with a passion. I refused to live there, and we ended up moving to AZ, and now we're back in CA.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:02 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
You've only been there two and a half weeks. Nobody's happen the first few weeks or months in a new place. Give it a chance! In another two weeks or so the pollen will quit and you'll feel better. Then before you know it the 12 months will be up.
C'mon hon....cheer up! Things will get better!

Old 04-20-2008, 11:34 AM

375 posts, read 1,725,055 times
The allergies & asthma are not any better here. They can be worse, especially with the winds & fires.

If you found something cheaper here in CA, then I bet it's NOT in a safe area where you want to raise kids.

I know AL, and If I were you, I'd stay put. Just give it time. Travel around the state. There is a lot of sight seeing you can do. Go down to the Gulf.

Do you have any hobbies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California