Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 07:31 PM

81 posts, read 331,937 times

Advertisements

We will be spending July and August in Bakersfield , and would like to know some exciting places to visit in or close to the city. Our children are 9 and 12. What would be the best public library, best community pool, best park in the city.Any fairs, festivals? Also, are there any lakes, forests, other attractions whithin an hour drive? I don't want to spend too much on gas, but on the other hand, want to see as much as possible there before returning to Massachusetts.
Thanks for any ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 08:10 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,436,543 times
Are you visiting family? Bakersfield isn't much of a vacation destination and it is going to be really hot during those months. Temperatures could easily be over 100 degrees. Lake Isabella is nearby if you want to go for a swim. That might be fun. You can rent boats at a marina at the lake and do some water skiing and stuff. I don't know what else there is to do. Bakersfield has always seemed sort of sleepy to me, but I'm sure others know more.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:22 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anagrig View Post
We will be spending July and August in Bakersfield , and would like to know some exciting places to visit in or close to the city. Our children are 9 and 12. What would be the best public library, best community pool, best park in the city.Any fairs, festivals? Also, are there any lakes, forests, other attractions whithin an hour drive? I don't want to spend too much on gas, but on the other hand, want to see as much as possible there before returning to Massachusetts.
Thanks for any ideas!
Well, there's the Beale Library on Truxtun but sometimes there are homeless people in there because it's a public library. But they have a nice children's section right up front. As far as pools, the McMurtrey Aquatic Center (it's big enough to get a Wiki page: McMurtrey Aquatic Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is always a good bet (this is located practically across the street from Beale Library on Truxtun). There are several nice parks in Bakersfield. One that comes to mind is Hart Park, it's down below the Bluffs and there are several play areas, several small lakes, and you can feed the ducks and geese if you want. Also, not too far from Hart Park on Alfred Harrell Hwy. is C.A.L.M., also known as the California Living Museum. It is basically a small zoo with animals native to California. Another nice park that just opened last year is the Park at River Walks. It has a nice lake and there are sometimes bands and fun things going on there on the weekends. Santa Barbara is only about an hour and forty-five minutes south and San Luis Obispo is only about two hours west. I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff so I'll post it later when I remember.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:27 PM

637 posts, read 3,236,442 times
[quote=anagrig;3514315]We will be spending July and August in Bakersfield ,

My condolences to you...

Old 04-19-2008, 08:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Go rafting down the Kern River. You need to drive to Kernville on the north side of Lake Isabella. There is an outfit on the south side of Kernville Road about 100 feet west of Sierra Way.

raft OR rafting - Google Maps

Old 04-19-2008, 11:46 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,873,701 times
I hope you and your family enjoy your time here in Kern County

Discover Kern County: Home

Bakersfield Convention and Visitors Bureau ~ Your Online Resource to Bakersfield California (http://bakersfieldcvb.org/index.php - broken link)

Rabobank Arena Theater & Convention Center

Bakersfield Ice Sports

Bakersfield Swim, City of Bakersfield

BakersfieldAmphitheatre.us - bright house Networks Amphitheatre

Quote:
Originally Posted by anagrig View Post
Thanks for any ideas!

Old 04-20-2008, 06:13 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,031 times
I second Charles' suggestion about the Kern River. Wonderful place to raft or trout fish

Old 04-20-2008, 12:42 PM

Thanks Missionhome.
Yes, we'll be visiting my husband who's there since January for a year work-contract.
He doesn't really know much about the place himself, and anyways he'll be working most of the time... so I just want the kids to do some exciting things while away from home.
I'll check out that lake you mentioned. Sounds good!

Old 04-20-2008, 01:00 PM

Wow, thanks guys for such prompt response! I'll check it all out. Rafting sounds exciting though I've never done it before. Would we need to buy our own raft or there are places to rent? Where we live in MA is also a rather sleepy city, so what you've got there sounds pretty good to me! Plus, we are so tired of our long winters, that we won't complain about the heat (i guess since it's dry heat, it should stay nice in the shade?)

Also, does anyone know about possibly any existing Bakersfield mom's blogs, or group activities?.. it's going to be hard for the girls to be for two months in a completely new place with no one to play with..
Thanks again!

Old 04-20-2008, 01:02 PM

Caliguy 2007, That's great help! Thanks !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California