U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2020, 08:57 PM

5,375 posts, read 7,066,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
My fav thing in Irvine is the dog park. When we go I tell my dogs we’re going to the rich dogs park.
That's funny.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 09:03 PM

20,755 posts, read 20,308,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
My fav thing in Irvine is the dog park. When we go I tell my dogs we’re going to the rich dogs park.

I’d def check out Coto de Caza if you can get in. It’s a little out of the way but beautiful and big properties there.

LOL, that's funny. Sounds good, will check it out too.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:19 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,519,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
That's your assumption. And no, we just see posts like his/hers as sour grapes.

As said before, many of us have lived in other states. However, after we've moved, we don't make it a point to post on those state forums about how awful that particular state was.

Especially on a thread titled, "What is your favorite thing about California that makes you want to stay?"
Their reading comprehension scores probably weren't all that much to write home about...

Old 01-05-2020, 12:33 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,519,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
But see you at least have options and if you are willing to drive 45 mins? You probably have a ton of options.

Yeah I'm almost certain, actually guaranteed they will prefer staying here. The only plus sides for them is... they hate snowy weather (retired from Alaska), but they also don't like hot humid weather, so a big chunk of the year, they don't go outdoors or move around much unless to the beach, pool or to a spring, so they would be able to enjoy the outdoors more, they do like hiking too, and anything dog related, so I know Huntington Beach has a dog beach and the dog parks in general there are much nicer than here. As far as housing and lots, I know they won't like it at all though.

I'm completely open to other areas. I'm just slightly more familiar with Irvine, which is why I made it the focus and base camp for this trip... but yes, totally want to explore any other recommended areas while there. I'll be sure to go to Yorba Linda too. I also noticed... these areas tend to give more bang for the buck, any warnings about the following...

Rancho Mission Viejo
Citron Esencia
Coto De Caza
Rancho Santa Margarita
Lake Forest
Ladera Ranch

I'm fine with taking a smaller lot and property to be near the action, but my parents would prefer to have more space even if it means being much further out as long as the area is still nice. Thanks again for your help with everything!
Your parents would probably like Norco, which is further inland in Riverside County. Lots of ranch-style properties there, plus bigger lots. They have a 99 Ranch Market nearby in Corona. There is a growing Asian community in southwest Riverside county, spilling over from Orange County and Chino Hills.

You -- yourself -- are not going to get a "big lot" in any of those places you listed without massively indebting yourself. Although, to be fair, I don't recall you being candid about your budget.

I always warn people who are considering moving to California to be very, very careful about playing "Keep up with the Jones' (or the Lee's or Rodriguez', as the case may now be...) because it will financially kill you. California is best enjoyed for its natural geographical beauty, its culture and diversity, its academic/university scene, its medical capabilities, the ocean, wineries, museums, art and history.

None of those things require living in an overpriced, high-tax/HOA/MelloRoos, Nouveau Riche Stepford burb that is going to drain the blood out of you at the end of the day.

Last edited by kttam186290; 01-05-2020 at 12:48 AM..

Old 01-05-2020, 07:42 AM

456 posts, read 120,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4life View Post
ROFL. I knew you were going to be full of it.

There are is no school system in Dallas that makes San Marino look third world. Get over yourself. I went to a school in Pasadena that makes every school in Dallas look third world, though. My in-laws live in Dallas and my aunt lives in Highland Park and they always beg us to come love there because it's so cheap. But goddam that city is such a complete dump. I can't imagine living in that dumpster fire of place. Even visiting for few days during the holidays makes my skin crawl. I mean yeah if you're poor I'm sure living in Dallas is fine. But if you actually have the wealth to love in San Marino or the Oak Knoll area of Pasadena (or other high end areas) there's no way in hell anyone would rather live in Dallas.
Southlake, TX buddy. Do some research. Highland Park is a great district but their facilities are not. Our soccer and football stadium makes San Marino look like an elementary school. Our robotics program? Same. Our band facilities are college like. Our practice football, baseball, and soccer fields? Same, and yes they only practice on them. Our indoor practice fields, weight room, etc? Same thing. I can go on and on.

Shows you have no clue what you are talking about. How are those trailers (portable classrooms)working out for San Marino because they don't have enough classrooms for all their students? We don't have trailers that hold classes.

Ironically I lived on Oak Knoll for some time. 1150 Oak Knoll to be exact. Also on 765 Canterbury in San Marino. Still go back to Tonys pizza when I go back and get there suicide to drink and of course my 2 slices

Old 01-05-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Agree with that. San Marino Unified has ranked at the top of the state for two decades.
Well we came to the top 2 ranked District in TX however test scores are not everything. Indeed important but facilities and opportunities are as important and San Marino has third world like facilities comparatively speaking. Athletics program there is a joke.

You two have proven why there is no reason to stay anymore. You think of San Marino as the pinnacle of schooling in CA. Average at best hear. Good education but facilities and offerings that would be ranked in the bottom tier.

Go look at the bands. San Marino has 22 people in their band. We have 350. How is the robotics program? Average at best. We win state championships for ours.

Their drill team is a cute little club. Ours is on America's Got Talent TV Show. Again for all the money I expect far better and it simply isn't there.

Last edited by Bolanders; 01-05-2020 at 08:17 AM..

Old 01-05-2020, 07:51 AM

19,566 posts, read 17,612,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolanders View Post
You tell me you struggle, have to live in West Covina, live in an crappy neighborhood with terrible schools, but you have good weather and can eat on your patio due to no bugs and that is foolish.
Kind of a slam to those who reside in West Covina--as well as many other parts of California--and are perfectly happy, isn't it?

Old 01-05-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Kind of a slam to those who reside in West Covina--as well as many other parts of California--and are perfectly happy, isn't it?
As I said mediocrity or less does not appeal to me. I don't want to live in West Covina. I also don't want be married to a fat ugly woman and I don't want to drive a Toyota Corolla. Ever. I have standards. Apparently higher than most. Malibu, Newport, Laguna, Palos Verdes, San Marino, Beverly Hills, Bel Air, La Canada and maybe a couple I forgot is all I would be willing to do. If someone is happy living in West Covina and their standards are far less than one so be it. I have no issue with it as it does not affect me, but I don't settle. The point many have made on this thread is that people are leaving in droves because they now realize the CA is not the one of 30 years ago. They can have a much better and much easier life going elsewhere with as much if not more of what CA has to offer.

I do get that everyone has a (or 2 or 3+) reason that makes them want to stay, but many more reasons to leave.

I, too, used to think CA better at everything. I would never live anywhere else. Dallas, Atlanta, Denver, etc. all suck in comparison. Then I went there and started to see what other cities had to offer and better yet what those cities suburbs where I would actually live have to offer and it isn't close. They far exceed pretty much anything I see in CA. Even little things like youth gymnastics, or parks, or baseball fields. Go find me a park in LA that has basketball courts that still have nets. Ours get replaced because they wear out, not because they are stolen. Roads, air quality, space, crowds, traffic, etc. There are a dozen or so great large cities in this country. open up your world and you will realize LA/OC/SD area is not what it used to be.

Last edited by Bolanders; 01-05-2020 at 09:17 AM..

Old 01-05-2020, 11:45 AM

216 posts, read 66,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolanders View Post
Southlake, TX buddy. Do some research. Highland Park is a great district but their facilities are not. Our soccer and football stadium makes San Marino look like an elementary school. Our robotics program? Same. Our band facilities are college like. Our practice football, baseball, and soccer fields? Same, and yes they only practice on them. Our indoor practice fields, weight room, etc? Same thing. I can go on and on.

Shows you have no clue what you are talking about. How are those trailers (portable classrooms)working out for San Marino because they don't have enough classrooms for all their students? We don't have trailers that hold classes.

Ironically I lived on Oak Knoll for some time. 1150 Oak Knoll to be exact. Also on 765 Canterbury in San Marino. Still go back to Tonys pizza when I go back and get there suicide to drink and of course my 2 slices
Yawn. Southlake is ranked 38th compared to SM at 25th. Do some research, champ.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/best-school-districts/

Personally, I would never subject my kids to public schools regardless of the district. But hey, you do you.

Strange that you bother coming back to a third world dump like SM, I guess it must have it's charm. I certainly wish I could stay out of Dallas. It's just miserable and the people (i.e. Texans) are even worse.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:49 PM

1,156 posts, read 730,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4life View Post
Yawn. Southlake is ranked 38th compared to SM at 25th. Do some research, champ.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/best-school-districts/

Personally, I would never subject my kids to public schools regardless of the district. But hey, you do you.

Strange that you bother coming back to a third world dump like SM, I guess it must have it's charm. I certainly wish I could stay out of Dallas. It's just miserable and the people (i.e. Texans) are even worse.
That would be 33, not 38, and do you really think there is that much of a difference between 25 and 33. We lived in the north Dallas area for 4 years. Hate to say it, but the schools were far superior there compared to the schools our kids attended in LA, SD and Bay areas which were all ranked high. The facilities in the Dallas area, in particular, Southlake, which Bo is talking about are so much better than SM, PV, MB, etc etc.

Can’t say I liked TX, but now after living there, I realize the people in CA that diss on it are very clueless and ignorant in their comments. Many in TX were similar toward Californians, but I may get where their animosity might be coming from if those Californians are moving to TX and talk sh-t about it and talk their liberal politics and wonder why TX isn’t like CA. Aside from ****ty Mexican food in TX, the restaurants in the Dallas area offer almost everything Ca does at a much cheaper price if that’s what people are looking for. And cheaper by cost of food, housing, gas and overall tax burden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or