Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2020, 12:17 PM

83 posts, read 32,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I agree he wouldn’t last 5 minutes ... including for the reasons you cite. But I sure don’t get where those reasons are “leftist”? They are dictatorial ... but hardly limited to leftist regimes.
Leftists are all about taking away people’s rights and freedoms. They’re fine with rioting and looting though.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:46 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggers View Post
Leftists are all about taking away people’s rights and freedoms. They’re fine with rioting and looting though.
The exact same can be said about any totalitarians. Hasn’t an ‘effing thing to do with which ideology.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
The exact same can be said about any totalitarians. Hasn’t an ‘effing thing to do with which ideology.
And it applies to liberals in this context. I don’t understand why you’re splitting hairs.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:07 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,446,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I don't care what they want to enforce. They can do their job or find employment elsewhere.

You're missing the point. It's not simply unwillingness to enforce the decrees. It's the inability to do so both by lack of manpower and the difficulty navigating the ever-changing rules. There was a news blurb here in San Diego just the other day saying citations dropped to zero here in July, prior to that it was in the low two digits for months. Only back in April were the hotline reports being followed up on with any consistency. One of the problems stated directly from LE was the inability to visually identify individual violators. For instance: in a group of people, there's no way to know which are household members or not. This among other things makes this stuff practically unenforceable. There's just too much gray area in all of it.

I really wish the practicality of your ideas matched your exuberant confidence that they'd be "simple to enforce" but it's just not the case. We don't have a million plus police force with the resources to back all these big plans of yours throughout the state. Not even close. Again, total naivete on your part.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:11 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,446,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I heard that Orange County and some of there cities also has been pretty rebellious too though I don’t here from them much anymore.

Well, they're now suing Newsom to reopen their schools. That's a big step.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:16 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I petty the people who live in Coalinga, CA the smelliest town in CA due to the big cow field Harris feeding company. They also have no where to go and may have no other way to keep putting bread on their own tables. Outside business is out of the question in this area with the relentless Central Valley heat day and night and obnoxious odor of cow feces, though On the flip side I would guess this makes masks A godsend.

On the flip side I be curious what happens to Medoc county these days. I know this county has been rebellious since the beginning though they are pretty lucky in terms of cases too.

I heard that Orange County and some of there cities also has been pretty rebellious too though I don’t here from them much anymore.
Coalinga is the home of two huge State Prisons, Pleasant Valley & Avenal, that is about 90% of their source of revenue, lots of correctional officers and civilian staffers buying or renting homes there and spending money in stores, but as you said it's a craphole of a place to live. Atwater is a city of around 28,000 people most of whom spend their time trying to figure out why they ever moved there.

It might be that when people live in places like that their only fun is found in being cranky and defiant

Modoc now has a few cases but from what I read they originated in a bar.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
And it applies to liberals in this context. I don’t understand why you’re splitting hairs.
Because it applies to ALL totalitarians ... and demonizing one faction over another increases our already crippling polarization. Neither nominal / normal liberals - nor nominal / normal conservatives are the root problems. Despotic minds with personality disorders are the root with their faux “leadership”.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Because it applies to ALL totalitarians ... and demonizing one faction over another increases our already crippling polarization. Neither nominal / normal liberals - nor nominal / normal conservatives are the root problems. Despotic minds with personality disorders are the root with their faux “leadership”.
Just because someone makes a statement about one thing, doesn’t mean there aren’t other things it applies to. If I’m talking to someone and say I like chocolate ice cream, I’ve never had anyone debate me about the virtues of strawberry or vanilla. I like them too.

You’re making an issue because I said leftists like to suppress freedoms. It doesn’t mean others don’t as well. It seems like you’re arguing for the sake of arguing or maybe it’s a need to feel superior or exert dominance. Either way, it’s odd.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:54 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
You're missing the point. It's not simply unwillingness to enforce the decrees. It's the inability to do so both by lack of manpower and the difficulty navigating the ever-changing rules. There was a news blurb here in San Diego just the other day saying citations dropped to zero here in July, prior to that it was in the low two digits for months. Only back in April were the hotline reports being followed up on with any consistency. One of the problems stated directly from LE was the inability to visually identify individual violators. For instance: in a group of people, there's no way to know which are household members or not. This among other things makes this stuff practically unenforceable. There's just too much gray area in all of it.

I really wish the practicality of your ideas matched your exuberant confidence that they'd be "simple to enforce" but it's just not the case. We don't have a million plus police force with the resources to back all these big plans of yours throughout the state. Not even close. Again, total naivete on your part.
No, you miss my point. Make it so that people don't try to socialize, they stay at home, except for some brief, important shopping, work they can't do from home, and outdoor recreation. Don't technically close many categories of businesses (which they resist in many ways), but issue safety-focused regulations and make them do most of the enforcement and documentation and then punish them (after reports by inspectors and citizens) for not doing it well, which is what Los Angeles is doing. Having police overseeing public gatherings and citing behaviors such as going maskless is a waste of resources. The missing piece in this country: use them to keep people off roads (including parking spots) and on their own property, in a way that once civilians are caught disobeying, they're nearly technically immobilized and therefore not burdening the police. It's just like a bigger, longer-lasting version of a holiday-weekend crackdown on drunk driving, with police diverted from other activities where they'd be needed less because many crimes occur in social situations and with fewer and fewer officers needed to confront people because they'd be giving up and staying home. Heck, LA already has the framework of roadblocks not called such, by closing residential streets to thru-traffic in many neighborhoods during this pandemic. I'd be more concerned about businesses not getting enough revenue than police manpower or civilian resistance to the near-lockdown it secretly is, but the government could subsidize struggling businesses and of course they need adapt to a delivery-based model as much as possible.
Spoiler
Brute force angers people and is logistically difficult to keep up. A mix of force and deception works better.

Last edited by goodheathen; 07-31-2020 at 02:15 PM..

Old 07-31-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Just because someone makes a statement about one thing, doesn’t mean there aren’t other things it applies to. If I’m talking to someone and say I like chocolate ice cream, I’ve never had anyone debate me about the virtues of strawberry or vanilla. I like them too.

You’re making an issue because I said leftists like to suppress freedoms. It doesn’t mean others don’t as well. It seems like you’re arguing for the sake of arguing or maybe it’s a need to feel superior or exert dominance. Either way, it’s odd.
What’s odd is an obsession to polarize - which is extremely destructive to the nation. You didn’t say you like leftists much as you like chocolate ice cream (what a bizarre analogy) ... you singularly identified “the left” as the deniers of freedom. They’re not. Your statement is creating a false conflation: left = oppression. It’s bulltweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California