U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 08:04 PM

508 posts, read 537,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Interesting follow-up inquiry. I've always assumed those of us from SoCal and even LV natives just called it Vegas because the Las seemed irrelevant due to our familiarity with the city and its attractions. It is, essentially, our backyard. The use of the truncated "Vegas" may also be partly because there is only the one Vegas. It does not need the Las (feminine plural of the) to differentiate it from other Vegases. A vega is a meadow, so Las Vegas means the meadows. (didn't think there was enough water for any meadow, much less multiple ones. Digressing...)

Not sure I can think of any other cities or areas/regions that have been so commonly similarly truncated. Maybe Salt Lake City often being referred to as just Salt Lake?
Yes, Vegas is like our backyard, and after I wrote this post, I wondered if it was more the SoCal natives more than the NorCal natives who use "Vegas."

Yup...Salt Lake, I say that, too! However, since moving north and thus driving through OR and UT a bit of late, I've noticed "SLC" all over the place and have wondered if locals use "Salt Lake."

I moved to the Pacific Northwest and soon learned to say "Pacific Northwest" whenever I saw PNW. It's rarely spelled out, and when the PNW is in writing, it's NEVER spoken as just the initials. I have a friend who records her letters to me who is from England. I only write to her, so she's never heard the term, but sometimes I'm shocked listening to her because she'll refer to where I live as PeeEnDoubleyou. Yikes!

Anyway, what I want to mention is there is another Las Vegas in the US. It's in New Mexico. I've been on the NM forums and have heard many people talk about the town/city in NM, and I've NEVER heard them use "Vegas." It's always "Las Vegas." Now, I'm not sure when you wrote that there is only one "Vegas" if you meant that in the sense that there is only one city like Las Vegas, Nevada - you know, with Egyptian pyramids and the grown-up Disneyland of it all. Correct me if that's what you meant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:

Not sure I can think of any other cities or areas/regions that have been so commonly similarly truncated. Maybe Salt Lake City often being referred to as just Salt Lake?
I couldn't either until just now.

I don't know about you, but I go to Tahoe. Do you go to Tahoe City, Lake Tahoe, or Tahoe? I bet you go to Tahoe, too.

Another place I go is Borrego to see the spring blooms. I know someone from Wisconsin who seems a bit flummoxed when I ask him how he likes living in Borrego now that he's been there a couple years. He hesitates and says he's glad he moved to Borrego Springs. It's almost like we have this game going on where we're correcting each other but never saying it outright.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:45 AM

4,592 posts, read 2,998,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
I agree with you. It bugs the hell out of me for some reason. Cali is a city in Colombia.
I have actually been there (twice). The full name of the city is actually: Santiago de Cali. But residents and visitors alike refer to it simply as: Cali which is pronounced in Spanish as kah-lee.

The city is known as the "capital of salsa" (i.e., the music) with great nightlife, good restaurants and a relaxed tropical setting about 3,500 feet above seal level.

The city lies in a valley set against the farallones mountains to the west which provide a cool/pleasant mountain breeze in the evenings to dissipate the heat of the day.

Lake Calima (about 90 minutes outside the city)

Old 05-14-2020, 02:15 AM

1,350 posts, read 671,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
I couldn't either until just now.

I don't know about you, but I go to Tahoe. Do you go to Tahoe City, Lake Tahoe, or Tahoe? I bet you go to Tahoe, too.
I agree with you completely about "Cali". I will correct someone if they say it. I tell them you sound like a tourist.

I lived in Lake Tahoe and lots of the locals just call it "Tahoe". I called it usually Tahoe, sometimes Lake Tahoe, or "the Lake".

Old 05-14-2020, 08:09 AM

585 posts, read 532,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
Another place I go is Borrego to see the spring blooms. I know someone from Wisconsin who seems a bit flummoxed when I ask him how he likes living in Borrego now that he's been there a couple years. He hesitates and says he's glad he moved to Borrego Springs. It's almost like we have this game going on where we're correcting each other but never saying it outright.
Isn't that a double-truncation? I thought the full name was Anza-Borrego Springs? Or is Anza-Borrego a different place entirely?

Old 05-14-2020, 08:10 AM

585 posts, read 532,080 times
I actually used to know a guy who would say, "You know how I know you're not from California?" and the answer would be, "Because you say "Cali."

Old 05-14-2020, 08:17 AM

29,447 posts, read 21,925,811 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdizL4on-Rc

Get used to it.

Quote:
I actually used to know a guy who would say, "You know how I know you're not from California?" and the answer would be, "Because you say "Cali."
I lived in CA as a kid, and then later on, (I just left), and always say "Cali".

Old 05-14-2020, 09:25 AM

13,515 posts, read 9,528,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I lived in CA as a kid, and then later on, (I just left), and always say "Cali".
A-ha. Coming and going? You were never really "one of us."

Old 05-14-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Isn't that a double-truncation? I thought the full name was Anza-Borrego Springs? Or is Anza-Borrego a different place entirely?
Upon reading your words, my internal reaction was, "No...I don't think so. That's the whole desert area there...I think. So I had to look it up to be sure. Maybe I'd been off all along! This is from a "Visit California" tourist site:

Smack in the middle of Anza-Borrego Desert State Park lies the unpretentious town of Borrego Springs, population 3,429. It’s the only California town that is completely surrounded by a state park, and that’s just one bullet point in its list of bragging rights.

We both learned something new today!

Old 05-14-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
I agree with you completely about "Cali". I will correct someone if they say it. I tell them you sound like a tourist.

I lived in Lake Tahoe and lots of the locals just call it "Tahoe". I called it usually Tahoe, sometimes Lake Tahoe, or "the Lake".
I've heard people say "Lake Tahoe" sometimes to refer to the whole area - the lake, the skiing area, the city as well as just "Tahoe," but if someone asked you where you lived when you were perhaps visiting a friend in Sacramento, did you use ever use "The Lake" with people who weren't intimately connected to the area (for example, currently lived there or had grown up there)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California