U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 12:35 AM

971 posts, read 2,598,991 times
Well the Inland Empire's location gives you access to a greater variety of Job Opportunities and you'll also be in close proximity to a greater variety of things to see and do compared to Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 12:23 AM

44 posts, read 157,475 times
Well, I guess it really depends on what kind of job you are looking for. That would be the biggest factor in my opinion.

But with the diversity question, it depends how far you want to drive. Think about it. Let's say you are sitting on your couch in the Inland Empire, and you say: "Hey, I want to go to a museum today! I've never been, but I want to see how it is!" You can go to the San Bernardino Natural History Museum, Riverside Municipal Museum, or you can drive 1.5 hours to Los Angeles and go to the Science Museum. They also have the Body Exhibit, which it totally cool, because they have real bodies cut in half. (It's not as grotesque as you would think it is.)

Would Phoenix be just as diverse?

Old 05-22-2008, 04:00 PM

167 posts, read 286,994 times
They are so much different, it all depends on your liking. Personally, I like California over Arizona. ...but Phoenix is more of a concrete jungle

Old 05-25-2008, 02:42 PM

157 posts, read 510,026 times
I would want to find out more info about jobs in Phoenix and AZ generally before moving in there. There are a lot of jobs gone there, so the low prices in the real estate market doesn't seem too important if you don't get a job, right?

Old 05-26-2008, 07:59 AM

19,459 posts, read 16,237,978 times
The cost of living may be higher here, but then wages *usually* compensate, anywhere you go. Surely you dont expect to move to someplace like Oklahoma, pay 50k for a house, and earn Calif wages?
Sure we have our issues here, but what state doesnt? Id relocate to another for the right reasons not just because I dont like it where Im at. There has to be a dang good reason and/or opportunity. Thats what its about.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:36 PM

51 posts, read 88,563 times
We currently live in AZ and hate it! The hot weather, the lack of job, the low very low pay rate, the lack of things to do, horrable school systems, and just about everyone I have talked to since we have decided to move feels the same about AZ!

Old 06-06-2009, 09:38 PM

157 posts, read 510,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmccloud View Post
We currently live in AZ and hate it! The hot weather, the lack of job, the low very low pay rate, the lack of things to do, horrable school systems, and just about everyone I have talked to since we have decided to move feels the same about AZ!

Unfortunately you're right. I have friends there that are considering very seriously a relocation but they have a hard time trying to sell their home. Tough times...

Old 06-07-2009, 11:08 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,414,883 times
I made a bad decision and moved out of California 16 years ago. I could never afford to move back. Once you move away from California and you are retirment age, forget it, you can't move back.

If I was 16 years younger I would be in California.

I live in northern AZ, in a small town where I am use to the laid back feeling.

The cost of living in Arizona is much less than in California. Depending on where you live in Phoenix, the crime rate will be much less. I, personally, do not like Phoenix. Only been there 7 times in 16 years. I am driving to Scottsdale in a few weeks and I dread the drive.

Good Luck whatever decision you make. Bottom line, it is preference and if you are raising a family, it is about how much money you have at the end of the month.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:32 AM

48,422 posts, read 39,513,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamfollower View Post
I pose this hypothetical because I am so undecided as to how to choose.

If you could purchase the same size single family home, although one would be new {in Phoenix} and the other a resale {in Riverside county}, which would you choose putting aside your heart and purely thinking on a financial basis {employment, RE investment}.

AZ has higher heat a few months and probably a little less of a payscale, but I am not looking for 6-figures or even high 5-figures}.

CA has a little less heat and probably a better payscale, but we are talking Riverside county and not LA and the commute to decent employment may be limited, with a commute of about 1-hour to the closest employment hub.

My heart goes with the diversity and beauty that only CA can offer, but with the gloomy financial forecast, the little practical side that I have says keep more funds liquid with lower taxes and all-around expenses.

And all the recent talk of earthquake survival has made me ask if it may be too big a risk for a single women to invest in property which could be impossible to resell should anything drastic happen, which sounds not too far-fetched.

Anyone out there who had to decide on the same question or those who have had to anticipate such a situation ~ your thoughts would be very helpful.

Thanks!
i think this is something only you can decide. The true CA loyalists would say, Riverside hands down, those who love Phoenix would suggest staying away from California at any price.

Because I hate the AZ heat, if I were making that choice I would move to Riverside, again, salary and job availability would still be my number 1 consideration.

Of course the overall cost of living in AZ would probably be lower, as for a financual advantage or investment, the way things have gone in the past 10 years or so, who can even predict the future. My guess and I do not have a clue as to what I am talking about, CA has had it, but Phoenix maybe as well. Again, I don't know much about economics.

NIta

Old 06-07-2009, 11:35 AM

48,422 posts, read 39,513,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanimator View Post
California is a state of mind!
Arizona is just a state.

It's like comparing a Ferrari and a Hyundai.

What matters is what type of driver are you?
oh come on, what a rediculous comparison? Talk about CA loyalist, you take the cake....

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California