U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:13 PM

207 posts, read 515,286 times

Advertisements

I pose this hypothetical because I am so undecided as to how to choose.

If you could purchase the same size single family home, although one would be new {in Phoenix} and the other a resale {in Riverside county}, which would you choose putting aside your heart and purely thinking on a financial basis {employment, RE investment}.

AZ has higher heat a few months and probably a little less of a payscale, but I am not looking for 6-figures or even high 5-figures}.

CA has a little less heat and probably a better payscale, but we are talking Riverside county and not LA and the commute to decent employment may be limited, with a commute of about 1-hour to the closest employment hub.

My heart goes with the diversity and beauty that only CA can offer, but with the gloomy financial forecast, the little practical side that I have says keep more funds liquid with lower taxes and all-around expenses.

And all the recent talk of earthquake survival has made me ask if it may be too big a risk for a single women to invest in property which could be impossible to resell should anything drastic happen, which sounds not too far-fetched.

Anyone out there who had to decide on the same question or those who have had to anticipate such a situation ~ your thoughts would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 06:18 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,653,665 times
I love California and it's weather but inland california can still get pretty hot in summer, even though Phoenix is almost always definetly hotter, there's a couple places in AZ such as sedona ($4000ft in elevation) I would live though, which are beautiful and safe that I would definetly go as compared to Riverside (crime and driving distance to LA). That being said if you gave me $5,000,000 I would go to any of the beach towns in CA in a heart beat. I think as a proud middle-class American (I currently live in Fort Collins, CO) but have lived in CA as well, I rather have a lil less and live a lot more, so probably Arizona? Hope this was helpful, at least a bit.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:12 AM

399 posts, read 197,770 times
I've been to the Inland Empire. It does get hot there during the summer, but not as hot as the scorching summers of Phoenix.

Inland Empire, has very mild winters, which goes hand in hand with the more costal areas. As Phoenix would constanly have fairly warm winters.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:10 AM

635 posts, read 1,171,299 times
I agree with the above posters, Arizona summers on past averages are about 2 months longer than summers than the I.E. The weather doesn't become warm in the I.E. until May through September, while Arizona will be April to October. If you've lived in high humidity, Arizona heat may not be a problem. The Inland Empire has much more traffic than most areas of Arizona. The I.E. also has alot of minority transplants who have moved out of inner city Los Angeles for a better life. My uncle moved away from Moreno Valley because there were gangmembers who lived next door.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:30 PM

207 posts, read 515,286 times
I am, at this point, very fed up and disappointed in the search of homes in areas where there are obviously no zoning laws.

You can have a perfectly decent and simple block of homes and then go to the next block and it looks like skid row.

There is no such thing as a "good" neighborhood unless you are prepared to spend over $800,000, even though it still remains sketchy as to the quality of neighborhood you have to shop in that is the closest to where you reside.

Something terrible has happened to California that I personally have not seen even in New York and in New Jersey. The continuity that you can rely on in various neighborhoods is consistent back east, despite the pricing.

Why is California such a mess and so ridiculously expensive when it does not even come close to delivering the quality of life that is easily found elsewhere.

Just listening to the news every day and the type of crimes committed speak volumes for the type of population that has overrun and taken control of the ability to have any semblance of normality.

I am going to opt for AZ because at least I believe that it seems to be more interested in controlling the further rise in such activity and/or crackdown on the amount that exists already.

Couple this with the housing fiasco where neighborhoods are being transformed for the worse due to foreclosures being bought cheap by investors who than rent most out.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:31 PM

6,240 posts, read 12,019,931 times
where ever you decide to move, you should give yourself some time before you buy a home. southern california and arizona have been two the hardest hit places by the mortgage melt down, especially the inland empire and phoenix. all the signs i've seen point to a continued decrease in real estate prices, which is probably a very good thing for you (it certainly is for me!). you may want to rent when you first get out here or push back your move for a bit.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:12 PM

240 posts, read 637,224 times
I find that Palm Springs is a nice compromise. It's as hot in Phoenix in the summer, but it's still California, the cost of living is much less than in the bigger California cities, and if you need to do something in the cities or get away from the heat in the summer, it's not a big deal to drive to the coast from Palm Springs.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:24 PM

365 posts, read 970,023 times
I (and my wife from Arizona) find San Diego to be a great compromise after living in Orange County and her comparing price vs. heat and desert landscaping. There are some beautiful areas in the Inland Empire as well.

You could buy a house in Quartzite AZ and bank on the idea that a massive earthquake will sink California and your home will appreciate 37 times. If Arizona, Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott/Valley, and other areas in Northern AZ would seem more enticing to those who enjoy seasons and the ability to run outdoors at 10 in the morning.

Please let us know how your hypothetical situation pans out

Old 05-19-2008, 12:44 PM

9 posts, read 27,032 times
Default It's a no-brainer....

California is a state of mind!
Arizona is just a state.

It's like comparing a Ferrari and a Hyundai.

What matters is what type of driver are you?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 10,578 times
Housing aside, I'd choose the Inland Empire.

My job has sent me to Phoenix twice, Tucson once, and I just visited Phoenix again for my mother's graduation a few weeks ago. That being said, I would choose the Inland Empire over Phoenix ANY DAY if you're looking for DIVERSITY! Otherwise, in terms of things to do, Phoenix seems to be much more family oriented as there are many activities for families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California