U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 01:38 AM

13 posts, read 36,480 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have just been offered a good job in Chico.. and I have a lot of questions.. any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been up that way twice now.. just for the day. Actually, I was in Paradise and traveled up hwy 70. Then on Sat. I spent a day in Chico.
1. Is it relatively safe? I grew up in a college town.. so that doesn't really bother me. I partied a lot and graduated with honors.. so I'm not one to judge. I love what a college can give back to the city.
2 How are the schools? I have two young daughters.
3. I know that there are great outdoor recreational activities.. what about other family entertainment options.. is there a children's museum?
4. Is it a dog friendly community? I read somewhere that the dogs are not allowed on many of the trails. I am a big runner.. but often go with the stroller and the dog.
5. I read that there are lots of horse trails.. not sure where all the horses are. It seems that Chico has a border of open land around it which is awesome. I lived in Boulder, CO and loved that about the city. I drove from Chico to Paradise... and didn't really see any homes on horse property there. I also drove to Paradise up from hwy 70.. that was really pretty. Is Oroville so bad? It seems like there is a lot of horse property there. What about Durham? Are the modest homes on 5-10 acres relatively affordable? (less than 750,000 which is what they are where I am.. south of Sacramento)
It seems like it could be a good fit for me and my girls. I am trying to get out of Sacramento.. it is just too big for me. I love all the recreational opportunities in the Chico area.
Thanx in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 09:03 PM

8,540 posts, read 6,560,392 times
I don't live in Chico, we are trying to sell our home in the St. George, UT area and come 'home' to NorCal. We are retired, but our son went to Chico state a few years ago, I loved the town then...very charming, love the trees and the creek that runs through town. I know there are lots of parks, etc...also up the hill is Paradise, a little cooler up there in the summer I would guess...you should head up there and check it out..let us know, that is on our short list of where to land..

Old 04-28-2008, 11:08 PM

5,031 posts, read 8,201,341 times
Chico is fantastic if you want off the beaten track yet intelligential. Huge trees [Hooker Oak] & a creek offering swimming pools & rapids on inner tubes. Quite hot in summer yet not as hot as Redding. Chico state university provides culture & a strong middle class. Great place to live but I'm bias [grew up in Chico

Old 06-11-2008, 07:05 PM

56 posts, read 162,360 times
Default my 2 cents........... & I might be too late.....

But the CRIME in Chico is UNREAL! It was never bad.... had it's issues becuase it is a college town but in the last 10 yrs we have been invaded by homeless, drugs, gangs & crime. Every week theres another stabbing, shooting, murder, and home invasion. I am not kidding. The crime is CRAZY! I lived in a NICE area of Chico too & went to Safeway one night for last min. kid lunch foods & on the way home I realized there were helicopters flying all around the area in which I lived........... come to find out some felon was loose & running through peoples back yards trying to escape the police. I was SO glad we have two german shepherds.

We literally have drive by shootings now. Never had those before. My husband & my favorite game for the last few yrs is to call eachother Monday morning on the way to work & tell eachother about how many shootings or stabbings this weekend had...... go on guess........... ONE weekend there was 8. Home invasions are ANOTHER big thing thats going on in town. The homeless problem........... is a HUGE problem. The streets smell. Literally theres vomit & urine smell downtown. Flies everywhere. Its sick.

AND YES Oroville is BAD............... VERY bad!!!!!!! Nothings but non educated, drugged out white trash. Its pretty much considered to be the arm pit of Butte County. Great combo of white trash & ghetto.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:55 PM

8,540 posts, read 6,560,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrlane View Post
But the CRIME in Chico is UNREAL! It was never bad.... had it's issues becuase it is a college town but in the last 10 yrs we have been invaded by homeless, drugs, gangs & crime. Every week theres another stabbing, shooting, murder, and home invasion. I am not kidding. The crime is CRAZY! I lived in a NICE area of Chico too & went to Safeway one night for last min. kid lunch foods & on the way home I realized there were helicopters flying all around the area in which I lived........... come to find out some felon was loose & running through peoples back yards trying to escape the police. I was SO glad we have two german shepherds.

We literally have drive by shootings now. Never had those before. My husband & my favorite game for the last few yrs is to call eachother Monday morning on the way to work & tell eachother about how many shootings or stabbings this weekend had...... go on guess........... ONE weekend there was 8. Home invasions are ANOTHER big thing thats going on in town. The homeless problem........... is a HUGE problem. The streets smell. Literally theres vomit & urine smell downtown. Flies everywhere. Its sick.

AND YES Oroville is BAD............... VERY bad!!!!!!! Nothings but non educated, drugged out white trash. Its pretty much considered to be the arm pit of Butte County. Great combo of white trash & ghetto.
Wow, that doesn't sound the the chico we know...anyone looking to possibly buy up there should get a report from the police department and look at neighborhood stats...actually that is a good idea for anyone moving to a new place I guess...

Old 07-21-2008, 04:31 PM

16 posts, read 54,610 times
I have a question, what areas in Chico are good to live in. My husband and I are looking into moving there and don't know the area very well. Any input would be appreciated. Also we have two large dogs and a 6 month old son.

Thanks

Old 07-22-2008, 12:54 AM

5,031 posts, read 8,201,341 times
I haven't lived in Chico since I was a kid but have relatives there & up in Paradise. No one has ever mentioned gang problems & when I visit we always go down to the Esplanade & downtown [I have never seen vomit or homeless people on the street, "flies everywhere." I think some people like to exaggerate too much

Chico is a very pleasant small city with many more things to do than most other cities that size.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:35 PM

8 posts, read 48,506 times
Really? I used to live in Salinas, CA and that was bad! I live in Chico now and it's like a 180 from the gang infested hole that is Salinas. Yaaay for Chico!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrlane View Post

Old 08-08-2008, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,429 times
I have lived in Chico very near the hospital for the past 21 years. Loved it as a college student followed by raising my child here and found the area very family friendly. And as I am starting to look ahead toward retirement Chico has yet untapped opportunities to explore. Only complaint is the HEAT. You can find out about my neighborhood by going to "chico avenues neighborhood association " you'll find some neighborhood history, what some of the issues are and a picture gallery. Welcome to Chico. People are friendly and there is lots to do , I don't think crime is a big concern. You will find a diverse mix of people down town and in neighborhoods close to campus. Along with the many trees the diversity is part of the charm.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:00 PM

73 posts, read 59,679 times
Don't listen to the hysterical person ... Oroville is a great place to live and good for families. There are many horse properties and the outdoor recreation opportunities are outstanding. It is not a bad commute to Chico either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California