Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:13 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times

Advertisements

Note also that not all of those 1,655 people live right in town. You can drive into and out of Lone Pine (on 395) in about 5 minutes or less, back on your way to Bishop or LA. It does smell good if you like alfalfa. I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 11:34 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,292 times
I did look at the real estate online, and I found very, very little! I couldn't even find a good Craigslist category for that area of CA, for one. I did see some in the 100-200 range but couldn't tell much about the properties and when my friend said what she did, I figured maybe those I did find were dumps I will check out the link Sandy posted, thanks.

I like hiking, camping, and scenic car rides just around. And I would like horseback riding if I had a horse. I like exploring historical sites. I definitely don't like hunting or fishing

The low population doesn't bother me, no strong social needs whatsoever... And yeah, I'd probably get to know a good number of the population through the school...

I'll come back and let you know what I think once I've visited...

Old 05-03-2008, 08:29 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
It would be interesting hearing what you think once you've visited Lone pine. In fact iIt would be interesting hearing a first hand account of what it's like to live in Lone Pine if you move there. I've passed by hundreds of times, usually not stopping, but it's always interesting imagining what it's like in these little towns. I've found out to some degree but you never get the full picture as a visitor.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:34 AM

I'm in Lone Pine right now! The terrain is very unique compared to other places I've known. It's really very beautiful and dramatic. I'm not sure it's for me long term but it's certainly nice to be visiting and seeing the place.The friend I'm staying with rents a very nice little house. It's very sandy in the yard, and on the inside window sills sand collects from blowing in during sand storms. I've been to the grocery store in Lone Pine as well as the big one in Bishop.. a Mexican restaurant... walked up and down the very short "downtown" strip (10 minutes total!). For natural sites, I went up to the Mt Whitney trailheads and explored some of the rock canyons in the Alabama Hills area (and collected some really cool rodent bones from owl pellets). It's definitely an interesting place though I'm having second thoughts on the small town thing. I'm thinking I might do better in an outlying area of a bigger type of place, like the Chico area. I just find it weird that my friend (also a teacher) knows every single kid in town she sees when she walks down the street. And that's nice in a way... but I do like the anonymity of city life. This kind of town just seems intensely social in a very different sort of way... geographically isolated... but in some ways more social than what I'm used to. It might very well be something I could adjust to, but it is something that's hit me more than I expected.Another surprise: the drive from the Bay Area was easy. It didn't seem nearly as long as I thought it would and it is something I could do a few times a year without a thought, when Tioga Pass is open anyway!I haven't discounted it yet, and I certainly would love to come back to visit when I have more than two days... but, no, I'm not ready to buy a house here yet Thanks for all the preliminary advice from folks.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:33 PM

Guess what - I bought a house in Lone Pine after all. I've been here a little over a month and am enjoying it very much. The view walking to work in the morning is astounding. It's quiet (except when the high school is playing a football game on the next block from me) and the town is charming. Walking the neighborhoods with my dog is nice too - it's a very doggy town. Lots of little-to-medium sized houses whose yards I like to look at.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:19 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
Guess what - I bought a house in Lone Pine after all. I've been here a little over a month and am enjoying it very much. The view walking to work in the morning is astounding. It's quiet (except when the high school is playing a football game on the next block from me) and the town is charming. Walking the neighborhoods with my dog is nice too - it's a very doggy town. Lots of little-to-medium sized houses whose yards I like to look at.
Yea but is the beer cold? Hey! Congratulations!!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:36 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
Congratulations on your home purchase. I hope Lone Pine works out well for you. Now that summer's just about over, you're going to see a lot of seasonal changes soon. Remember from time to time to let us all know how things are going for you there.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:43 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
Bigcats, I'm so glad you posted again! Thanks for updating us; I'm glad you like Lone Pine. Yes, please let us know how you like it - especially in the middle of winter. That wind can get pretty cold when it blows down from the Sierras. But I agree, it is beautiful there!

Old 09-19-2008, 10:56 PM

607 posts, read 2,368,371 times
Bigcats...Curious about your posts. I've travelled through Lone Pine and the rest of the small towns up and down 395. Actually usually end up at the Dow Villa for a place to rest. Cute town. Isolated from the front side of the Sierras (West), but that's probably a blessing in disguise.

My wife's from Maine, where are you from? How do you compare out West to back East. She wants us to move back to Maine sooner than later!

One last thing...did you seen the Maine Coon Cat on the news the other day for being one of the longest cats on record...something like 48" long. LOL

Oh well hope you enjoy life on that side of the big mountain, it's a pretty high desert.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:02 PM

There's thunder rumbling tonight - I love it! I really missed that living in the Bay Area.

I've been exploring the area quite a bit. Last weekend I found a pick-your-own farm up near Bishop that's gorgeous and solves my "Where's the fresh produce?" problem I was having up until now. Last night I took the dog up to Horseshoe Meadows where she got to inspect cattle mooing at her. I'm finding it to be a very dog friendly place, they're allowed pretty much everywhere.

I took a trip down the the LA area a couple of weekends ago for home stuff... my first trip there. Not too bad, if you need some "big shopping" once in awhile.

Maine's a nice place, family... Certainly different weather (humid in the summer, and everyone knows what the winter is like). I lived in Portland and spent most of my time there, a little bit up in the middle of the state around Baxter State Park. The camping and outdoorsy stuff there was great, but it is here in Lone Pine too.

Maine Coons are characters. Despite my "healthy" number of cats, I don't have any of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California