U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 10:59 AM

87,900 posts, read 81,705,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
To me it’s not any one hot day, like I think it’s supposed to be 108 this weekend. It the fact that it has been in the triple digits or nearly that for days on end. The weather morons on tv call it a ‘cooling trend’ if there’s a couple of days in the upper 90s.
It gets tiresome having to wear gloves because the steering wheel is too hot to touch with your hands until the ac has a chance to cool it.
But I lived most of my life in MN and lots of people would wonder at my mental capacity for doing that. I guess like lots of things, it’s just what you’re used to.
That's interesting. A friend of mine moved out of Marin County a few months ago, to move to MN. He said, there's more environmental awareness and activism there, than in CA (!), and that people are nicer and friendlier there. I guess the techie invasion all around the Bay Area has changed the character of many locales there...? So I'm wondering why you say some people would wonder at your mental capacity, for living in MN My friend bailed on MN when the recent protests exploded right near his Mpls neighborhood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 02:22 PM

68,917 posts, read 5,439,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisonDeEtre View Post
No, sure haven't. Won't really have the time luxury to do that.
Well definitely rent to start.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:50 PM

585 posts, read 719,463 times
I'll never forget driving through Cottonwood on our way home to Lake Shastina (when we lived there) and seeing a road side temperature gauge that read 117°. I think it was the same summer that knuckle head in Redding decided to mow his dry grass and started a fire that morphed into a monster that raged for weeks.

Old 08-08-2020, 05:21 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,583,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
I'll never forget driving through Cottonwood on our way home to Lake Shastina (when we lived there) and seeing a road side temperature gauge that read 117°. I think it was the same summer that knuckle head in Redding decided to mow his dry grass and started a fire that morphed into a monster that raged for weeks.
I think I was in that area at the same time. I was a kid (about 12 years old), so I think it was the late 80s. We stayed with my aunt/uncle overnight in Yuba City and it was 113 at 6pm, but I was still out playing basketball. I remember having trouble sleeping as they only ran the AC sparingly, where it was still 100 at midnight. The next day, we were planning on camping at Castle Crags but that day it hit 118 in Redding and 120 in Red Bluff (believe these are still all time highs). It was too hot to camp there, so we went up the the mountains near Lassen, where it was still about 100 degrees at 5-6k feet.

Old 08-08-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I think I was in that area at the same time. I was a kid (about 12 years old), so I think it was the late 80s. We stayed with my aunt/uncle overnight in Yuba City and it was 113 at 6pm, but I was still out playing basketball. I remember having trouble sleeping as they only ran the AC sparingly, where it was still 100 at midnight. The next day, we were planning on camping at Castle Crags but that day it hit 118 in Redding and 120 in Red Bluff (believe these are still all time highs). It was too hot to camp there, so we went up the the mountains near Lassen, where it was still about 100 degrees at 5-6k feet.
Yuba City is about 120 miles south of Redding, but much of Northern California gets very hot summers.
OP where are you living now?

Old 08-08-2020, 05:40 PM

585 posts, read 719,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
This was 2003 or 2004 I believe. Could've been 2005. But yes, the temps there are nuts. When we first moved to Mount Shasta we rented a home that didn't have AC. No biggie, we're in the mountains, it's much cooler. Right? Nope! There were many days we went down to Castella, picked blackberries, and just sat in the river. One time I jumped in fully clothed it was so dang hot. Other days we went to Lake Siskiyou and swam all day. We moved over to Lake Shastina and bought a home with AC. Those summers are no joke.

Old 08-08-2020, 11:26 PM

50 posts, read 35,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Yuba City is about 120 miles south of Redding, but much of Northern California gets very hot summers.
OP where are you living now?
LIving in S. OC. Weather here is as near to perfect as one could hope for on this planet, LOL!

Been here for about 14 years.

Were I able to afford something I'd be happy in. Probably would never leave.

Old 08-08-2020, 11:28 PM

50 posts, read 35,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, you're used to Arizona, so you won't like Humboldt County, which also is affordable. The coastal area is cool (the opposite of Redding), but it also tends to be foggy and cloudy. Although "sunny Fortuna" promotes itself as a more sunny pocket in the area, that's probably relative. Still, for the heck of it, you might check out Fortuna and McKinleyville. Though they're a far cry from OC, if that's what your dream is.

You can afford Placerville, in the foothills of the Sierras east of Sacramento. There may be light snow now and then, but it's low elevation means there won't be anything extreme. On average, 244 sunny days. On average annually--2 inches of snow. Small town. Still not OC.

Here's this, in Cambria, CA (the coast!), just above your max $$, if all you need is 2 br/1 ba:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-24281?view=qv

Here are some units in Ventura (as close to OC as you'll get in your price range). They're modest detached homes, though classified as condos, in complexes with a shared pool and other amenities, low HOA fees. They look nice, and are in your price range, not pushing the max.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-91866?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-95787?view=qv

That last one is within walking distance to the beach, grocery, restaurants. $385K.
Thanks for the tips.

Didn't realize anything in Ventura would be affordable. Will have to take a closer look.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:41 AM

5,642 posts, read 2,070,803 times
Ruth
My comment had nothing to do with right/left but purely weather. If it's a week of sub zero temps, EVERYONE will question why we live there, it's a running joke, or after a foot + snowfall.

As to your friend, his observation is in line with mine. The first day I was in my new office I was cleaning out the files from my predecessor and I asked where the recycling was for the paper and there wasn't one. I was used to recycling bins in nearly every room. You never see the kind of trash on the roadside like you do here. Taxes are about the same, although the gas tax here is MUCH higher, but I can understand that if you have nearly 40 million people to move around.

People told me that moving to CA would put me in the nanny state, but that I also found to be not true. In MN, every mile for freeway is lined by fencing. You won't see a tree anywhere near the roadway and there are guardrails around any slight deviation from grade. Here there are trees right next to 5 and drop offs with no guardrails that would be disastrous to any driver leaving the roadway.

As for Mpls, I had a friend who's daughter moved there. She is a multi race woman and she reported that she would be leaving because of the racism. I was really shocked by that because i had never known anyone to be that way. But when I sat down and thought about it, one thing Mpls is, is segregated. Many minorities live grouped in neighborhoods, so when i thought of that it made the thought that there is racism much easier to understand.

Anyway, I love MN and Mpls and it's one of the places on our list of 'next career steps'

Old 08-10-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisonDeEtre View Post
LIving in S. OC. Weather here is as near to perfect as one could hope for on this planet, LOL!

Been here for about 14 years.

Were I able to afford something I'd be happy in. Probably would never leave.
Take an overnight trip up North. We welcome you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California