Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 10:39 AM

127,583 posts, read 11,762,901 times

Advertisements

Take a visit to Redding & see for yourself. And rent for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 10:59 AM

102,059 posts, read 106,870,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Take a visit to Redding & see for yourself. And rent for a while.
HOT HOT HOT! And did I mention....hot?

But we've been through this before with the OP, on his/her other thread.

Old 08-07-2020, 04:42 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,785,817 times
I have only been to the Redding area once and that was quite a few years ago. I had taken a trip from the SF Bay Area to Oregon, via a coastal route. I decided on the return trip to take interstate 5. What I remember to this day, is the heat as I approached the general Redding area on that early July day.......it was like I had driven into a furnace ! The car I was driving at the time did not have A/C. I can say though that there are some scenic areas in that far northern area of CA......to the east of Redding you have Lassen National Park, in a northern direction you have Mt Shasta & Shasta Lake and to the northwest the Trinity Alps . If you are someone you likes hiking, camping, fishing or hunting....this area of CA may be to your liking in this one category.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/stnf...ea/?recid=6521

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ature-july.php

Old 08-07-2020, 04:47 PM

It is not the furnace people think. Yes, it gets hot, but so do places like Fresno.

Heck it doesn't even make the top ten.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...he-us-2/432421

We go there several times a year, it is only a few degrees hotter than what we are used to.

Old 08-07-2020, 04:53 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,785,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
It is not the furnace people think. Yes, it gets hot, but so do places like Fresno.

Heck it doesn't even make the top ten.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...he-us-2/432421

We go there several times a year, it is only a few degrees hotter than what we are used to.

It does has a reputation for being hot. I was just there once and perhaps it was during a heat wave with above average temps. I don't recall the temps off hand. I do recall also making a stop in Red Bluff and was really hot there too

Old 08-07-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
It does has a reputation for being hot. I was just there once and perhaps it was during a heat wave with above average temps. I don't recall the temps off hand. I do recall also making a stop in Red Bluff and was really hot there too
It certainly has that rep, here on CD. But much of NorCal, away from the coast is hot all summer. I see the weather forecast most days, on TV & Redding is normally just one or two degrees hotter than the other towns.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:27 PM

102,059 posts, read 106,870,458 times
Quote:
Yup. Red Bluff. I remember. it well. I stopped there a few years ago, on my way back from Seattle. It was mid-October, or just past that; around the 20th or so. Triple-digit heat. In fact, I think it was 115, but I won't swear to it. Still, it was the hottest I've ever experienced, with the possible exception of the Mojave desert. But even the Mojave cools down by October. Heck, it's cooler than October Red Bluff even in late September in the Mojave! I wonder if the surrounding mountains absorb and reflect the heat, or something, intensifying it. How could it be hotter than the Mojave? But it is. Or was, in October.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:38 PM

5,751 posts, read 2,754,824 times
To me it’s not any one hot day, like I think it’s supposed to be 108 this weekend. It the fact that it has been in the triple digits or nearly that for days on end. The weather morons on tv call it a ‘cooling trend’ if there’s a couple of days in the upper 90s.
It gets tiresome having to wear gloves because the steering wheel is too hot to touch with your hands until the ac has a chance to cool it.
But I lived most of my life in MN and lots of people would wonder at my mental capacity for doing that. I guess like lots of things, it’s just what you’re used to.

Old 08-07-2020, 11:02 PM

50 posts, read 70,719 times
Quote:
OP, you have not yet visited the Redding area ?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/americana-modern-hotel-redding
No, sure haven't. Won't really have the time luxury to do that.

Old 08-07-2020, 11:14 PM

50 posts, read 70,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
While the area is pretty (good camping/boating nearby), its very depressed economically, not socially diverse, extremely conservative and not very exciting.

I'm sort of amazed at the people who come on this board and look for cheaper parts of California as an arbitrage. While there are a few exceptions, for the most part, California has been discovered. The parts that are cheap are cheap for a reason. They're generally not very nice. If I could not afford to live in a nice part of California, I'd rather move to another state where I could be in a nice location at a more affordable price.
What I'm finding is... the tradeoff for cheaper housing costs, almost everywhere is some aspect that well... sucks, LOL!

I haven't found a place that is like say, South OC... but doesn't have the cost... anywhere in the USA. Have been looking for a very long time.

And there are many places just as pricey... that still have sucky aspects.

Consider Boulder, Co... nice place... but nasty winters... but priced like Ca. (Lived in the 'burbs near there for several years.)

Consider Jupiter, Fl... a sweet spot in an otherwise continually ghetto-ifying state... not quite Ca. prices... but hurricanes and a a definite trend of becoming Carribeanized. Everywhere it becoming "the hood" except the very pricey islands like Jupiter, Hutchison, Singer, Palm Beach... and Palm Beach Island is definitely across a bridge from a very serious "hood"... West Palm Beach.... Singer Island... across the bridge from Riviera Beach, another carribeanized ghetto.

Consider Rancho Palos Verdes... *not* affordable... multi-million dollar homes... adjacent to Compton and Inglewood... I.e. "South Central"... read that "Watts Riots", "Bussing" and all that.

Most of Oregon and Washington... grey, rainy weather... and even parts of those have Ca. prices... See Seattle, right?

The only real answer is to be rich enough to live in one of the truly excellent areas... but I don't have a way to do that. Sadly. As do not many people... LOL!

Was hoping that somehow Redding's tradeoffs were ones I could stand.

The homes certainly look very nice for the money by Ca. standards. The lack of a clear African American "hood" doesn't strike me as a bad thing, though the SJW's will jump on me for saying that. But if it's just a "white hood", not sure that's any better.

Agreed, prices are always low for a reason. Otherwise they'd be high, LOL!

So on most of your points, we probably agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California