Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:32 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Sister View Post
I'm in Oregon and I wear Birks - oh yeah, I bought them in NoCa
Birkenstocks were big about 15 years ago in NorCal -- have seen maybe one person all month wearing birks, and like 1000 people wearing flip-flops. Birks are dead. Flip flops took over NorCal and the rest of America about 5 to 10 years ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 10:43 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
California is much too complex to simply divide it into North and South.About twenty years ago a book was written that divided the state into about ten or twelve regions that the author called,I believe,nations,or a similar name.Each region had a distinct geo-political characteristic as well as economic features.Am unable to recall the books title or the authors name at this time.At the very least,California should be divided into three parts.Draw a line from San Luis Obispo to Las Vegas.Below this line is SoCal.Draw a line from Santa Rosa to Reno.Below this line to the first line is CenCal.Above the line is NoCal.These are my opinions,but they are based as much on politics,attitudes,and econonics as geography.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Sister View Post
I don't consider anything south of Woodland to be in Northern California, and I prefer it without abbreviations And I was born and raised in SoCal
They'll have to pry my abbreviations from my cold dead fingers... it's still called NorCal (and BTW, sometimes I even say "Cali" too)! But I like the idea of the dividing line drawn from Santa Rosa to Reno for Northern California, and actually if you did that, Woodland would be just south of there.

But more than anything else, I think "NorCal" is really a state of mind... that's essentially "non-urban" and basically libertarian in attitude (regardless whether liberal or conservative). So even though NorCal includes everything from Palin-supporters and conservative ranchers in the Valley, to the Humboldt hippies and pot growers, they probably all have more in common, philosophically-speaking, than their "cultural equivalents" in SoCal.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:40 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
But I like the idea of the dividing line drawn from Santa Rosa to Reno for Northern California ... .

But more than anything else, I think "NorCal" is ... basically libertarian in attitude (regardless whether liberal or conservative).
I still say the dividing line should be north-south instead of east-west. But anyway.

Inland northern CA I can see to be libertarian, but what about coastal northern CA? My impression has been that Mendocino and Humboldt counties are pretty liberal in a way that's decidedly not libertarian, at least not in the sense of smaller government and privatization. They might be libertarian in that they want government out of personal decisions about social choices, but not libertarian in that they want to do away with public institutions. In Siskiyou and Modoc, perhaps, but not on the coast. Maybe my impression is wrong.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
I still say the dividing line should be north-south instead of east-west. But anyway.

Inland northern CA I can see to be libertarian, but what about coastal northern CA? My impression has been that Mendocino and Humboldt counties are pretty liberal in a way that's decidedly not libertarian, at least not in the sense of smaller government and privatization. They might be libertarian in that they want government out of personal decisions about social choices, but not libertarian in that they want to do away with public institutions. In Siskiyou and Modoc, perhaps, but not on the coast. Maybe my impression is wrong.
Sorry, couldn't locate your "north-south" argument, but I understand re: your definition of "libertarian". Although judging from the number of folks on welfare and other social services in the otherwise "conservative" Valley, the "reality" of various ideologies, probably seldom holds up for either side.

I'm mostly thinking of "Libertarian" as a unifying feature that, for lack of a better description, it's still essentially the same, basically rural "leave me alone" sensibility throughout NorCal, whether it's the hippies, pot growers, blue-collar conservatives and "Utopian" seekers of the north coast, the fiercely independent ranchers and farmers in the Central Valley, the Oakies, "hillbillies" and (sub)urban refugees in the foothills, or those feisty folks in the "Free State of Jefferson".

Old 04-28-2010, 12:43 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Sorry, couldn't locate your "north-south" argument, but I understand re: your definition of "libertarian". Although judging from the number of folks on welfare and other social services in the otherwise "conservative" Valley, the "reality" of various ideologies, probably seldom holds up for either side.
Had to search a little myself. Post #59: http://www.city-data.com/forum/8083410-post59.html Should clarify: east-west divide along a north-south dividing line.

Quote:
I'm mostly thinking of "Libertarian" as a unifying feature that, for lack of a better description, it's still essentially the same, basically rural "leave me alone" sensibility throughout NorCal, whether it's the hippies, pot growers, blue-collar conservatives and "Utopian" seekers of the north coast, the fiercely independent ranchers and farmers in the Central Valley, the Oakies, "hillbillies" and (sub)urban refugees in the foothills, or those feisty folks in the "Free State of Jefferson".
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds reasonable to me. I also mentioned the State of Jefferson earlier.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Had to search a little myself. Post #59: http://www.city-data.com/forum/8083410-post59.html Should clarify: east-west divide along a north-south dividing line.

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds reasonable to me. I also mentioned the State of Jefferson earlier.
You're right, the Central Valley really is the Great Divider, politically, culturally, and geographically! BTW, have read that during the 16th century, so much of the Valley was still covered by water, that the Spaniards pictured California on maps as an island!

Old 05-25-2010, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,522 times
Default waw thats simple

hold on i think you're kinda missing something do you but hey its simple listen go to google.com and type in the search box for example if you stay in vista, type in is vista in southern or northern California? and see whats the answer, see what I mean? simple isn't it

Old 05-26-2010, 04:39 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
Quote:
You're right, the Central Valley really is the Great Divider, politically, culturally, and geographically! BTW, have read that during the 16th century, so much of the Valley was still covered by water, that the Spaniards pictured California on maps as an island!
You're wrong!

California was thought of as an island due to a Spanish novel written about 150 years prior to that map you posted. When the Spanish explorers encountered the peninsula making up Baja California they thought it was an island, then named it California.

And that is the origin of California's name.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:19 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,060 times
However, the Central Valley was indeed largely covered by water, vast swamps that were home to Elk and Griz.

In the 16th century no Spaniard had seen the Central Valley.

The Capital of California was Loreto.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:42 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
However, the Central Valley was indeed largely covered by water, vast swamps that were home to Elk and Griz.

In the 16th century no Spaniard had seen the Central Valley.

The Capital of California was Loreto.
Yeah, the notion of "California as an island" seems to have come from the exploration of southern Baja California (or, rather, what would eventually come to be called 'Baja California') and the assumption that it was part of an island, not part of a peninsula.

Thus it was named 'California' after the fictional island of Spanish literature.

As wet as the Central Valley once was, no one should ever have confused freshwater lakes and marshes for an extension of the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California