U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 03:12 PM

8 posts, read 4,979 times

Advertisements

We live in upstate NY but my son has been working at SpaceX for a year so I am researching a possible move to CA. My younger son is a junior in college so the move won't be for 2 more years, give or take. I am married, 52 years old, graduate degree in engineering and working in a corporate R&D facility.

I have no problem down sizing a little to make the move somewhat affordable. But upstate NY is cheap so we don't have a ton of equity. We need a lower cost of living area.

Weather is a factor. I hate rain, and heat w/humidity. My wife hates cold. Neither of us are fans of extreme dryness. For me, humidity needs to be moderate. Not oppressive (high dew point) and not super dry (desert). We would like to be reasonably close to LA so we can see my son on weekends and he can come up and help me work on my car.

Crime is a factor. My wife is paranoid. Schools are not a factor for us anymore.

My wife does like to have shopping nearby. She also is a big fan of farmer's markets. I am not talking high end shopping. I am not interested and it would be too dangerous for her. I am talking Kohl's, Target, Home Depot and a good grocery store. Decent restaurants would be a plus. So would a job that I can work at into, and possibly through, retirement. I would rather die at work than retire early and die far away from my children.

So far, my search has drawn me to Ventura, Santa Barbara and SLO counties (excluding the expensive towns like Santa Barbara). So what do people suggest? Vandenberg Village looks affordable, has decent weather and the crime seems OK so long as we choose the neighborhood wisely. Prices appear to go up as one moves toward LA or SLO. And crime seems spotty and highly localized. The climate is also localized. Lots of micro-climates and micro-crimelates.

Lastly, I will finish with a touchy subject. I have no issue being neighbors, friends or relatives with anyone from any race but I have to admit that I have never been a minority where I live. Maybe I would adapt but I have no idea how weird it will be. Being Italian, I would probably fit into a Mexican-dominant community fairly seamlessly but I guess, given the choice, I would still prefer to not be a minority in a community where I don't even speak the prevalent language.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 05:04 PM

1,346 posts, read 1,253,661 times
I would look to Ventura, Santa Barbara, and San Luis Obispo Counties. Riverside, San Bernardino, and Kern Counties will be too hot, and Orange County will be too expensive. Lompoc (and Vandenberg Village) are out in the sticks. At least a town like Santa Maria (or the nearby bedroom community of Orcutt) have a little more going on. I would focus on Ventura County if your budget allows. Making the move while keeping job prospects in mind, you'll probably want to locate somewhere that allows you to reach LA without going too insane. Check into where Metrolink stations are.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
I would look to Ventura, Santa Barbara, and San Luis Obispo Counties. Riverside, San Bernardino, and Kern Counties will be too hot, and Orange County will be too expensive. Lompoc (and Vandenberg Village) are out in the sticks. At least a town like Santa Maria (or the nearby bedroom community of Orcutt) have a little more going on. I would focus on Ventura County if your budget allows. Making the move while keeping job prospects in mind, you'll probably want to locate somewhere that allows you to reach LA without going too insane. Check into where Metrolink stations are.
I am definitely NOT going to commute into LA. I live a pretty simple and frugal life. I don't need a high income. I just need something to enable me to survive retirement in CA. Hell, I could be a Private High School or Community College Physics or Math teacher.

One thing that I found interesting is that the weather in Vandenberg Village is supposedly better than Lompoc even though they are right next to each other. Slightly less rain. Slightly warmer in the winter.

Old 02-09-2021, 11:36 PM

2,091 posts, read 1,737,721 times
A housing budget would be helpful. Rent vs buy?

Italians are around 5% of the California population, and less so in Southern California, so you are going to be a minority here. You should be ok. Most people won't look down on having Italian neighbors, as long as you aren't some kind of stereotype out of a mafia movie.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:59 AM

2,955 posts, read 2,194,368 times
Port Hueneme
Thousand Oaks
Camarillo
Santa Paula
Fillmore

Old 02-12-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
A housing budget would be helpful. Rent vs buy?

Italians are around 5% of the California population, and less so in Southern California, so you are going to be a minority here. You should be ok. Most people won't look down on having Italian neighbors, as long as you aren't some kind of stereotype out of a mafia movie.
Prefer a house but I would consider a condo or something like that. I would like it to be single floor or have a bedroom on the first floor. (thinking ahead, hopefully WAY ahead) I am thinking about $500K but could go a little more I think. Would want at least 2 bedrooms but prefer a third to use as an office. Need at least 1.5 baths but prefer 2 full.

I am a stereotype and I am ok with that. I actually like diversity. That is why I am hesitant to live in an area dominated by one group.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Port Hueneme
Thousand Oaks
Camarillo
Santa Paula
Fillmore
Camarillo is possible. A little expensive but not crazy. Thousand Oaks is probably out of my range. I know and have found very little about Port Hueneme. On Santa Paula and Fillmore, I worry about them being at the foot of a mountain and on a river. Do they flood?

Old 02-12-2021, 07:12 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,253,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Camarillo is possible. A little expensive but not crazy. Thousand Oaks is probably out of my range. I know and have found very little about Port Hueneme. On Santa Paula and Fillmore, I worry about them being at the foot of a mountain and on a river. Do they flood?
Regarding the potential of flooding in Santa Paula and Fillmore, there would be more of a risk due to wildfires than from flooding, IMHO. While you're considering communities in Ventura County, look into Moorpark and Simi Valley as well.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:36 PM

3,288 posts, read 1,649,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
Regarding the potential of flooding in Santa Paula and Fillmore, there would be more of a risk due to wildfires than from flooding, IMHO. While you're considering communities in Ventura County, look into Moorpark and Simi Valley as well.
+1 on Simi. I have a hunch this is the best balance of all the OP's needs.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:18 PM

5,540 posts, read 7,821,272 times
To the OP, I don't know if you would be interested in Laguna Woods Village in Orange County, east of Laguna Beach? It's a 55+, which you might be by the time you move. You can google the details but just a couple points for you:

It's one of the largest retirement communities in the country; population 16K+. You may get turned off by the median age (78) but there are definitely many boomers and beyond moving in because of the affordability compared to the rest of the area.

You can choose from a wide array of units, ranging from 1 BR condos to single-family homes. Some of them are co-ops, not quite sure of the difference but you can check it out.

You can check their website for a list of the many, many clubs and activities -- one of which is an Italian-American club. Coming from the east coast, I know it can be tough to lose that cultural identity when you move to CA (I'm originally from a largely Italian town in the Philly 'burbs).

I was just out there in 2019 to look at it, as I was 99% sure I was moving there. The grounds are beautifully kept, sooo many flowers. You'll laugh, coming from NY, but the reason I decided not to was: It was too cold for me! But that's because I'm now 70 and my blood is thin from seven years in Florida. But I did live in OC for two years when I had just turned 50 and the weather was absolutely glorious.

Well, anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there. Also, check out any HOA rules/regs wherever you're moving (I noticed something about working on a car, sometimes that's frowned upon).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California