U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick one
San jose 2 10.53%
Sacramento 9 47.37%
Fresno 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 06:44 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,292,978 times

Advertisements

3 homes to select, similar prices, pick your favorite.
Tried to make this as fair as possible. Hf

Large condo: San Jose
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...19799521_zpid/

Modern mcmanson: Sacramento
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...26016974_zpid/

1960s house: Fresno
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...18711608_zpid/

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 02-14-2021 at 07:51 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 06:52 PM

Links have been added.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:06 PM

475 posts, read 570,109 times
Fresno is the least desirable of the 3 cities, but the location of that house in fresno is arguably the best in it's city (93711) not including clovis. Those familiar with the area will argue 93711, 93730, 93720 are most expensive zips in the city of fresno. That home is also beautiful and a nice custom home with tasteful renovations that has modernized it and that neighborhood is not cookie cutter at all. Unfortunately that part of 93711 doesnt fall in clovis unified so the schools are just good to ok.

Sacramento is 2nd least desirable city of the 3, but has the newest typical type home that is just above the tract cookie cutter style homes, but the location of that house is NOT the best area of sac nor is it in the sacramento metro. Natomas is nice, but there are much better suburbs Especially for $700K+ and not even including a pool. I'd look to placer county or folsom/EDH if spending 700K+

The SJ location is the most desirable city and being in the Evergreen area puts it in one of the better location in san jose (although not the best--i feel willow glen, cambrian, alamden valley areas are superior as evergreen is right next to ESSJ and some would say it is part of east san jose), and that home sucks being only a condo/townhome especially for growing families or those who want to start one.

Right off the bat, the SJ house is thrown out. Maybe if I was single, or no kids, and young where i always want to be in a hustling and bustling big metropolitan area like the bay I would consider this, but nah.

Ive been to both areas of the fresno and sacramento houses shown. Between those 2, the fresno house and neighborhood its in is superior to that natomas house and neighborhood in sacramento. But the overall city of sacramento is better by means of more to offer than Fresno.

So if decision was mainly based on the house/neighborhood, the Fresno house wins. But if you want a city that has more to offer than you take the hit of being in a tract neighborhood and go with the Sac house.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:30 PM

8,620 posts, read 4,813,274 times
I'm not voting cuz I hate all of those cities - if I HAD to choose one it would be SJ.

Sacramento is way too hot and Fresno is hot and ugly suburbia.

At least in SJ you can escape to the beach and mountains, easily.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:58 PM

6,284 posts, read 7,160,332 times
Regarding summer heat and cooling:

The cold Pacific in NorCal cools Sacramento dramatically, consistently, and regularly daily during the summer. It cools on average 10-15 degrees cooler than fresno by morning. A typical morning low temp in Sacramento is 58-62, cooler than most cities across the USA during the summer.

Sacramento cools so much during a typical summer day that overnight and summer morning temps are consistent with places such as Seattle, Portland, and Denver.

On average Sacramento cools 30 degrees from the low 90's to the upper 50's, daily, this doesn't happen in fresno. Actually it doesn't happen anywhere across the USA as much as in Sacramento with such regularity and degree.

90 degrees in Sacramento feels like 85.
90 degrees in Austin feels like 100.

Morning temps in Sacramento are in the 50's and 60's.
Morning temps in Austin are in the 70's, 80's, and 90's.

During the summer, people often complain that is just too darn cool/cold in the Bay Area(San Jose) overnight and in the morning, fog, low clouds and wind.

Last edited by Chimérique; 02-15-2021 at 02:12 PM..

Old 02-15-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Regarding summer heat and cooling:

The cold Pacific in NorCal cools Sacramento dramatically, consistently, and regularly daily during the summer. It cools on average 10-15 degrees cooler than fresno by morning. A typical morning low temp in Sacramento is 58-62, cooler than most cities across the USA during the summer.

Sacramento cools so much during a typical summer day that overnight and summer morning temps are consistent with places such as Seattle, Portland, and Denver.

On average Sacramento cools 30 degrees from the low 90's to the upper 50's, daily, this doesn't happen in fresno. Actually it doesn't happen anywhere across the USA as much as in Sacramento with such regularity and degree.

90 degrees in Sacramento feels like 85.
90 degrees in Austin feels like 100.

Morning temps in Sacramento are in the 50's and 60's.
Morning temps in Austin are in the 70's, 80's, and 90's.

During the summer, people often complain that is just too darn cool/cold in the Bay Area(San Jose) overnight and in the morning, fog, low clouds and wind.
Hottest temp last year at the airports

112f/77f fresno
112f/74f sacramento

And fresno was windy that day, so it felt nicer, lol.

The biggest difference is that sac cools down faster in the summer. that's sacs biggest win over fresno, not low temps.

Fresno dropping to 67f in the morning and sac dropping to 61f is negligible. Who cares.

Picture I took yesterday, Just outside of fresno.
It's for you, chim.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 02-15-2021 at 03:10 PM..

Old 02-15-2021, 07:15 PM

376 posts, read 625,268 times
Sorry I voted prematurely for Sac. I had not looked at the links before voting.

No way I would spend that much for Natomas. Natomas isn't horrible per se but when you say Sacramento I don't think of Natomas. Natomas is a so-so area with so-so schools, and kinda removed from the action. I think you're overpaying for that area.

If you have the freedom, I'd choose one of the other links. That Fresno house is super cool. If the neighborhood is safe then I would be very tempted, if you can work from home.

San Jose- the condo looks nice.

I guess it all comes down to how you spend your time - do you work from home? do you have kids and care about the safety/schools? do you want to be near certain amenities?

If I could vote again I'd probably go for Fresno just because that house is so cool. Could see entertaining there way more so than the others.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post

No way I would spend that much for Natomas. Natomas isn't horrible per se but when you say Sacramento I don't think of Natomas. Natomas is a so-so area with so-so schools, and kinda removed from the action. I think you're overpaying for that area.

If you have the freedom, I'd choose one of the other links. That Fresno house is super cool. If the neighborhood is safe then I would be very tempted, if you can work from home.

I guess it all comes down to how you spend your time - do you work from home? do you have kids and care about the safety/schools? do you want to be near certain amenities?

If I could vote again I'd probably go for Fresno just because that house is so cool. Could see entertaining there way more so than the others.
No worries, I'll vote for ya.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:56 AM

98,589 posts, read 97,046,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post

Hm...I see what you mean. That condo in SJ looks really nice, as does the total environment there, but there's something odd about the photos. Are those all of the same unit, OP? Are you sure? There are 3 dining areas, including a separate dining room.

I agree with people voting for the SJ location, but all these locations depend on your heat tolerance. I see your SJ pick is in south SJ, which gets significantly hotter than locations close to the Bay. OTOH, it's near a golf & country club on one side, and regional parks on the other. Check to see if the unit has A/C! The Bay Area has been having more frequent, and longer, heat waves than ever before. If it doesn't have A/C (most housing doesn't), find out if you can add wall units in the rooms. You won't need them all summer, like you would in Sac or Fresno, but you'll be glad you have them when you do need them.

And, have you read the Fresno threads here? There's a recent one saying that crime is increasing.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-16-2021 at 11:07 AM..

Old 02-16-2021, 01:32 PM

376 posts, read 625,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I agree with people voting for the SJ location,

And, have you read the Fresno threads here? There's a recent one saying that crime is increasing.

Uh... SJ got literally 0 votes

The actual Fresno data show crime is not increasing. So it seems to be anecdotal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California