Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick your fave
Vallejo 5 31.25%
Fresno 6 37.50%
Sacramento 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 01:51 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,003,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
This is funny. Makes me wonder if this person has ever experienced “bad” weather. Lol
That person claims to live in fresno, but spends half their time bashing it on another forum. Just another whiny californian, or a weird troll.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 03-14-2021 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 02:00 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,003,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, thanks, but I'll pass on Friant, and that house. I'd stick w/Vallejo, or SLO foothills, if you can afford either of them.

Vallejo is at the same altitude as downtown Benicia. Both towns have hilly neighborhoods, so I don't understand your aversion to Benicia. If you at least have a house with a backyard that backs up into the hills, you get wonderful breezes of the Strait up there, with your own little picnic spot with a gorgeous view.

But it would be nice to be that much closer to the ferry to SF, in Vallejo.

HSR is dead. Not gonna happen. The state can't afford it, and it's going to need all the money it can muster just to deal with disaster relief from fires, floods, etc. from now into the foreseeable future. Oh, and did I mention, that with temps rising over time, the steel rails would start buckling, anyway? A disaster waiting to happen. And remember, the US doesn't manufacture its own steel anymore, much. It'd be a choice between imported German steel ($$$$$$) or Chinese steel ($). And you saw what happened with Chinese steel & bolts on the Bay Bridge...
Geoengineering is a thing that could fix climate change. We could go from record hot summers to record cold winters just by using geoengineering.
I think that's why china hasn't gone all in on green energy, they trust geoengineering. iCYDK, china stands at being wiped off the map if nothing is done with climate change. They have everything to lose if they miscalculate. Anyways, I'm not too concerned right now.

Most of my family/friends are in central california and southern california. I don't even have family anymore in the bay, they got priced out a long time ago. That's why I'm not that interested in the bay. If I wasn't close with my family, I'd consider those spots.

HSR depends on biden, and biden LOVES rail. He might be the biggest rail supporter we've ever seen in the white house. We shall see if he helps out california. Take care.

Edit:"Biden is a self-professed train fanatic who estimates that he has ridden more than 2 million miles on 16,000 trains."

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 03-14-2021 at 03:30 PM..

Old 03-14-2021, 09:16 PM

42,847 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, thanks, but I'll pass on Friant, and that house. I'd stick w/Vallejo, or SLO foothills, if you can afford either of them.

Vallejo is at the same altitude as downtown Benicia. Both towns have hilly neighborhoods, so I don't understand your aversion to Benicia. If you at least have a house with a backyard that backs up into the hills, you get wonderful breezes of the Strait up there, with your own little picnic spot with a gorgeous view.

But it would be nice to be that much closer to the ferry to SF, in Vallejo.

HSR is dead. Not gonna happen. The state can't afford it, and it's going to need all the money it can muster just to deal with disaster relief from fires, floods, etc. from now into the foreseeable future. Oh, and did I mention, that with temps rising over time, the steel rails would start buckling, anyway? A disaster waiting to happen. And remember, the US doesn't manufacture its own steel anymore, much. It'd be a choice between imported German steel ($$$$$$) or Chinese steel ($). And you saw what happened with Chinese steel & bolts on the Bay Bridge...
Benicia is a lovely little town, if it wasn't so expensive I would move there. Another thing about Benicia, the public schools are very good.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:50 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
That person claims to live in fresno, but spends half their time bashing it on another forum. Just another whiny californian, or a weird troll.
Ohh a stalker, so creepy

Old 03-23-2021, 10:37 AM

68 posts, read 62,529 times
If you pay for any Vallejo real estate prices now you’re an idiot. I own a 4 plex there and had stayed in it for a little bit during covid until I bought my next house and holy **** did that town lose its mind. Riots, national guard, constant red light running side shows, and shootings every week. I eventually left when someone did a drive by in front of my house and one of the rounds went through my neighbors window.

Btw I lived in one of the nicer neighborhoods. When I bout the place and converted it into a 4 plex homes were selling for 325k-400k for duplex. Now I saw a duplex go for 700k not to far where I bought mine originally. Who ever paid that price is an idiot and it just shows how ridiculous real estate is in the Bay Area at this point.

I choose Sacramento

Old 03-23-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealD View Post
If you pay for any Vallejo real estate prices now you’re an idiot. I own a 4 plex there and had stayed in it for a little bit during covid until I bought my next house and holy **** did that town lose its mind. Riots, national guard, constant red light running side shows, and shootings every week. I eventually left when someone did a drive by in front of my house and one of the rounds went through my neighbors window.

Btw I lived in one of the nicer neighborhoods. When I bout the place and converted it into a 4 plex homes were selling for 325k-400k for duplex. Now I saw a duplex go for 700k not to far where I bought mine originally. Who ever paid that price is an idiot and it just shows how ridiculous real estate is in the Bay Area at this point.

I choose Sacramento
That was in June, right? That was horrible from what I've heard but I don't think its typical for Vallejo or a good reason to relocate. I agree about prices in the Bay Area. My son's been looking for a place to buy in Martinez and you can't find a place that's livable for under 550k

Old 03-23-2021, 03:10 PM

68 posts, read 62,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That was in June, right? That was horrible from what I've heard but I don't think its typical for Vallejo or a good reason to relocate. I agree about prices in the Bay Area. My son's been looking for a place to buy in Martinez and you can't find a place that's livable for under 550k
The riots were in June if I recall. I had just built two extra units and assured the lady who was moving here from Houston that Vallejo wasn’t that bad. She wanted to establish herself and daughter in the Bay Area for its black middle class and I said starting in Vallejo will help you navigate the bay with it’s cheaper prices. Holy **** did I feel bad for her when things got really crazy. It was awkward having to see her when all the violence happened.

We had crime go up when the lockdowns started but the it went totally crazy when Floyd was killed. It’s still residual now way worse then when I first lived there. The Vallejo crime before covid was mostly regulated to certain neighborhoods with little spillover every once in a while. When covid happened it went all over including glen cove. Now that it’s starting to calm down a bit the crime is still all over the place even in good neighborhoods, it’s just not people getting offed the street next to you bad.

I specifically remember the fires got so bad we couldn’t see the other side of the street. That night we had sideshows, and then a couple of shootings. All the while you couldn’t go outside and breath. It just got extremely bad way worse then when I first moved there. Your a true Bay Area lover if you stay with all that **** happening.

The national guard was brought in and I specifically remember them having a convoy going by my house. I yelled out “ what’s up nasty girls” they laughed.

It’s just way to much to live there now and you are not getting anything in return besides saying you still live in the bay. Horrible schools, trash everywhere, crime. The only way you get away from it is by moving to hiddenbrooke which is its own area in Vallejo but it’s also not diverse at all, nothing but Filipinos.

Martinez is a good buy. I recommend staying away from the refinery if you can but you don’t really smell it unless your on the freeway.

I am in the process of triplexing my house in Martinez and it’s going well. Should lower my mortgage significantly with everyone paying top rate trying to leave sf.

Old 03-23-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealD View Post
The riots were in June if I recall. I had just built two extra units and assured the lady who was moving here from Houston that Vallejo wasn’t that bad. She wanted to establish herself and daughter in the Bay Area for its black middle class and I said starting in Vallejo will help you navigate the bay with it’s cheaper prices. Holy **** did I feel bad for her when things got really crazy. It was awkward having to see her when all the violence happened.

We had crime go up when the lockdowns started but the it went totally crazy when Floyd was killed. It’s still residual now way worse then when I first lived there. The Vallejo crime before covid was mostly regulated to certain neighborhoods with little spillover every once in a while. When covid happened it went all over including glen cove. Now that it’s starting to calm down a bit the crime is still all over the place even in good neighborhoods, it’s just not people getting offed the street next to you bad.

I specifically remember the fires got so bad we couldn’t see the other side of the street. That night we had sideshows, and then a couple of shootings. All the while you couldn’t go outside and breath. It just got extremely bad way worse then when I first moved there. Your a true Bay Area lover if you stay with all that **** happening.

The national guard was brought in and I specifically remember them having a convoy going by my house. I yelled out “ what’s up nasty girls” they laughed.

It’s just way to much to live there now and you are not getting anything in return besides saying you still live in the bay. Horrible schools, trash everywhere, crime. The only way you get away from it is by moving to hiddenbrooke which is its own area in Vallejo but it’s also not diverse at all, nothing but Filipinos.

Martinez is a good buy. I recommend staying away from the refinery if you can but you don’t really smell it unless your on the freeway.

I am in the process of triplexing my house in Martinez and it’s going well. Should lower my mortgage significantly with everyone paying top rate trying to leave sf.
That's too bad about Vallejo, I guess not many people know about the crime problem because from what I hear people are submitting offers way over asking price. The Martinez refinery is a non-issue, it is closing in July. My son works in Martinez and has a good salary but not good enough to buy a decent house there, but I'm not sure that those prices will stay that high, I think a lot of the increase in home prices in Martinez is due to people working at home and moving out of San Francisco, but I'm not sure how many of those people will still be allowed to work from home once we don't have to deal with Covid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California