Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 03:01 PM

101 posts, read 315,216 times

Advertisements

With all the talk of Californian's getting out (I know a few myself) I would like to hear from the people who are staying and why they think it (traffic, cost, ect) is worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 03:07 PM

150 posts, read 799,180 times
jetsjoe, I would have stayed in Ventura County but my husband was worried about life on a fixed income. CA generally isn't the most retiree-friendly state unless you bought your house umpteen years ago. I loved the weather, proximity to the ocean, lifestyle and being outside so much.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:37 PM

101 posts, read 315,216 times
ExNYC- Where are you now?

Old 01-05-2007, 08:15 AM

6 posts, read 28,243 times
Default Re: Anyone staying in Cali?

I plan to stay. I was born and raised here. Lived in Ogen, UT for a couple of years in the early 80s. I love the cultural diversity in California. I hate the congestion and expense, but I can't find anywhere else where I would like to live.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:18 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
I plan to stay. I love CA. The high-paying tech jobs, concrete skateparks, mountains, ocean, I love it.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:47 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,101,365 times
We're coming back to California ASAP. We "cashed out" like so many other people did 2 years ago and moved out of state but we miss the great weather the people the ocean the mountains everything. Everything except the housing prices . We used to live along the coast in Ventura County and we are looking to get back along the coast from central California to southern California. Hopefully within the next 2 years!

Old 01-05-2007, 06:09 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,444 times
What happens now that you "cashed out" previously? Are you waiting for housing prices to go down so that you can "get in" again? Or, do you still have the equity that you sold your house for (if I may ask)? I'm hoping that prices stabilize a bit (myself) before moving becomes a more feasible thing for us.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:49 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Staying in CA: diversity of people and ideas, progressive politics, weather, easy access to life's wants and needs. Twenty years ago I had a fixation with the Pacific Northwest, including BC, and made a couple of attempts to relocate. Each time I ended up back in southern CA, and now I'm glad for it. I came to realize that Southern California's mix of urban conveniences and proximity to nature -- ocean, mountains and other wild spaces, plus year round weather to enjoy it all -- is unique. Sure, it can be expensive in CA, but there are ways to deal with that, too. At least we don't have 4%, yearly reassessed property taxes like Oregon and Washington.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-05-2007 at 11:03 PM..

Old 01-06-2007, 09:39 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,101,365 times
Hi Donna7, A little bit of everything you said. We hope prices come down but the areas we are interested in are not coming down. Right now the area we are looking at is Laguna Niguel/Dana Point and it figures those 2 areas are still going up. Timing is everthing in realestate as is location, location, location. No one can see the future, anything can happen to change it one way or another. We want a view and with that you pay big time and the view we want is ocean and with that you pay even bigger. We want a area that is nice and safe with lots of shopping and great year round weather all within California. Not to much to ask for . We are retired and for others they may want snow for skiing or a lake with land for fishing (which we have now) or maybe a golfing community but for us it is the ocean. We are what some people may say are young retirees (40). So time is on our side. Good Luck to you on your move too.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:36 AM

121 posts, read 663,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
We're coming back to California ASAP. We "cashed out" like so many other people did 2 years ago and moved out of state but we miss the great weather the people the ocean the mountains everything. Everything except the housing prices . We used to live along the coast in Ventura County and we are looking to get back along the coast from central California to southern California. Hopefully within the next 2 years!
This sounds like us except we didn't own a home in CA..but we moved to AZ and have made a huge profit on our home here. We are planning on moving back in 3-4 years ( my husband is in the Navy) and then retire there. We are going to use our huge profit here on our home and put it down on a San Diego home in 3-4 years...

It's funny, there was a thread sort of like this on the San Diego forum about all the people leaving CA, and this one poster chimed in and said yea glad your leaving more room for me when I move there
Ahh, if this was only true...CA is so appealing to so many people it will always be crowded....oh well....gotto love it right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California