Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 09:40 PM

6,327 posts, read 3,570,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My hunting group hits that often. One thing for sure, it burns a LOT. It's mostly buck brush and during the summer it's just a roaring fire waiting to happen. Some of that stuff is 20 feet tall.
I could definitely see that. But they must have been smaller fires recently? In the last 10 years I can't recall any major fires in the Tejon area. There was a massive one around Lake Isabella east of Bakersfield and there have been a couple bigger ones closer to Fillmore and Magic Mountain recently. Probably only time before there is another big one near the Tejon area though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 09:48 PM

6,327 posts, read 3,570,692 times
Build in the valley because it has "room". Why not continue to build in the LA or Bay areas? There's room. You just have to build up. Turn LA into Manhattan. Pack them in like sardines. Those are the areas people want to live anyway so build more skyscrapers for them their. Los Angeles sidewalks still have plenty of room.

Ag takes up too much water. Yeah, it also serves a purpose. People have to eat. And an extra benefit is that the farming industry employees people. Now if you are suggesting maybe cutting back on the almond orchards and growing some less water intensive crops I agree with you. But how exactly does that get put into policy in a free market world?

Old 04-15-2021, 10:03 PM

1,297 posts, read 1,808,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot312 View Post
No, you didn’t. And you don’t know what a bad faith argument is, clearly. I won’t be responding because you have nothing valuable to contribute whatsoever. Peace out. The valley will keep growing despite your nimbyism. Wahhhhh
Sure, bail out when your reading comprehension fails. I clearly responded but you don't have an answer. Actually, you don't appear to know what a bad faith argument is.
Here you go:
When someone acts in bad faith, he is acting with the intent to defraud or deceive another person. An example of bad faith might occur if a boss makes a promise to an employee, with no intention of ever keeping that promise. ... Someone can also practice bad faith against himself.

Last edited by Social Democrat; 04-15-2021 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 04-16-2021, 10:29 AM

21,568 posts, read 16,079,852 times
Quote:
Lol did this keep you up all night? So, now since you have the definition in front of you: what is my bad faith argument? The emphasis here is intent, not simply to be wrong. I attributed someone else’s comment to you on accident, thus it’s not bad faith. I’m appalled this needs to be explained to (presumably ) a grown adult. Your argument, on the other hand, is bad faith. You argue your point when both you and I know you don’t really believe it.

Case in point:

You responding that the valley should allow more development (and they do, they’re developing constantly - everywhere)
“Oh we should just let in a trillion people while we are at it, we don’t have the resources for everything”

You and I both know that encouraging expansion doesn’t equate to a trillion new residents . The valley as it stands only has 6 million people, and a huge portion are located in the sac metro which is nearly Bay Area by proxy. The lower half of the sjv quite literally has fresno and Bakersfield for its population. It’s underdeveloped. It can use more people. It has affordable land and nothing close to resembling too many people. Dairies are far more water intensive than people and far more pollutant. Any argument about people replacing dairy due to water is bunk.
Uh, Bigfoot ... you just did it again ... need to read back more carefully. Social Democrat never said anything about “a trillion people” ... I, Tulemutt, used that exaggeration. And you entirely missed the point I am making here: that accepting endless growth as a mandate policy - regardless of how much area is available - is an ignorant concept in a finite paradigm.

Old 04-16-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
You people are all the same to me!

So you think that the population density of Central Valley right now is perfect as is? You can hold the opinion that infinite growth is bad and also agree that more growth is necessary at the same time. The valleys economy freaking sucks, it’s entirely ignored in infrastructure due to its burden on the rest of the state, it has means to expand. More taxes, more they payers, more voice. The valley needs people
Heh

The population density of the Central Valley isn’t the issue I am addressing. I am pointing out that the Valley doesn’t need more people - Same as: No place needs more people.

Virtually ALL the challenges we face are a function, at this point, of having too many people. And why that relates to your focus on the Valley is: you are perpetuating the myth that growth is necessary to the future of - everything.

No. Growth is not necessary anymore. Sustainability must become the new goal ... not growth.

“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of a cancer cell.” - Edward Abbey

Old 04-16-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I see what you’re saying. And I’d agree with you if growth WASNT necessary to the future of everything. The valley has one major economy that is shrinking every year - ag. Those who work in ag outside of the owners/gm etc don’t typically have high paying jobs. The valley needs a strong economic sector outside of the slowly dying industry. More people does bring in necessary change. Fresno and Bakersfield, for example, do need tech hubs. They have affordable land, cheap houses but they need jobs. The more people that live there the more tech will go. Look at Phoenix for example. Fresno is midway between the bay and la. I think it would be invaluable if some of those smaller towns (and fresno itself) continued to expand in a healthy way. I’m open to changing my mind.. but dude... the valley has been economically poor and underrepresented since its inception.
Growth isn’t necessary to the future of everything. In fact, just the opposite is true at this point in history.

Infinite growth in a finite paradigm is not possible. It is suicide, ultimately.

We are now in the new age of AI. The masters of AI project that roughly ⅓ of all employment will be replaced by AI within less than about the coming 20 years. These lost jobs won’t transition to new skills and tasks. That much work will simply be rendered unnecessary. The replacement of labor by AI is fully expected to march on past that point as well ... 50% gone ... 75% gone.

And most people, like you, still believe we need to ‘grow’ to survive.

No. We don’t. It’s past time to strongly de-incentivize growth and population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California