Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kevin Paffrath vs Gavin Newsom
Kevin Paffrath (MeetKevin) 35 45.45%
Gavin Newsom 42 54.55%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 11:11 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
“Unfortunately, the real minimum wage is always zero, regardless of the laws, and that is the wage that many workers receive in the wake of the creation or escalation of a government-mandated minimum wage, because they lose their jobs or fail to find jobs when they enter the labor force. Making it illegal to pay less than a given amount does not make a worker’s productivity worth that amount—and, if it is not, that worker is unlikely to be employed.” -Thomas Sowell

All these folks dwelling on the out of context "zero minimum wage" thing are clearly unfamiliar with the Libertarian party platform which forever has included the same type of argument. It makes for a good soundbite with Elder because it allows team Newsom to avoid defending his job, something they don't want to do.

Old 08-08-2021, 11:18 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
If you read the article, the decision to not endorse is merely a GOP ploy to drive more GOP voters to the polls:
"A party endorsement would have given the chosen candidate the resources and infrastructure to support their campaign in the coming weeks. But it also would have given some voters a reason not to show up, delegates said."

Anything the Republican's concoct is a "ploy", but when team Newsom thugs kept big name Democrats off the ballot, it was a "strategy". To keep this move in perspective, the last time the governor (JOE Davis) was recalled, big name Republicans pushed hard to get Tom Mclintock to drop out and yet he still took in a sizeable number of votes. Since there's no real Democratic challenger this time though, it's a smart move to focus on ejecting Newsom instead of the second half of the ballot. There doesn't need to be a party endorsement in this election.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:06 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I was going to vote no on the recall, but then I read about Newsom closing down the prison in Susanville, & consequently the training for inmates who fight fires. We need all the help we can get in battling fires, & Newsom doesn't seem to care that Norcal is burning, maybe as some counties lean R. So bye bye Gavin!!

Old 08-08-2021, 12:47 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
His popularity must be gaining because this recent interview popped up in my "recommended" videos. After watching it, he explains in full the comment about the minimum wage. He did a great job dealing with the journalists' questions. I think he could hold his own in a debate but we probably won't see that. Anyway, if anyone is interested, here's the video from the other day.

Title: With Larry Elder It's No Hold Barred As He Explains Why He Threw His Hat In The Recall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQWc_ttA4n8
He will be a great governor for California.

Old 08-08-2021, 01:32 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
He will be a great governor for California.
LOL You're puttin' the cart before the horse, aren't you? I still have doubts that the governor will be recalled but anything can happen. We'll soon find out

I am curious about one thing, though. Why the AG worked so hard (yet failed) to keep Mr. Elder off the ballot.

Old 08-08-2021, 02:39 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I don't care for Elder, I'm sick of so called celebrities from tv & radio thinking they are politicians.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:06 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I don't care for Elder, I'm sick of so called celebrities from tv & radio thinking they are politicians.
I'm more sick of the wealthy elite running things because they have money. Both parties have some extremely wealthy people, they all know each other and hang out no matter which party wins. It's disgusting.

Simply inheriting wealth doesn't make people intelligent or good leaders. People need to quit voting on party lines.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:50 PM

323 posts, read 129,698 times
Newsom’s Recall Problem Is with Hispanic Voters

Two new independent polls on California’s September 14 recall election have a startling explanation for why Governor Gavin Newsom is in trouble. His support among minority communities is crumbling as issues such as crime, COVID restrictions, and a huge unemployment-benefits scandal dominate the race.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...spanic-voters/

With this revelation you can bet you will see more brown politicians pushing for his re election

Old 08-08-2021, 04:06 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
I was going to vote no on the recall, but then I read about Newsom closing down the prison in Susanville, & consequently the training for inmates who fight fires. We need all the help we can get in battling fires, & Newsom doesn't seem to care that Norcal is burning, maybe as some counties lean R. So bye bye Gavin!!
I was going to vote "no" on the recall too, but changed my mind a week or so ago after seeing his supporters obnoxious ads on TV.

Old 08-08-2021, 05:29 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Training inmate firefighters has become rather controversial. People who are sentenced for a felony and have no record of a prior serious or violent crimes don't serve their time in prison they serve their time in the jail of the county where they were sentenced. In the past there was a large pool of inmates in state prisons available to become firefighters now there aren't.

What would you do, just send out people who have committed very serious and usually violent crimes to fight fires or hire people to do the work, I mean if they want to escape they can just walk away. There will not be fewer firefighters in the future, there will simply be fewer inmate firefighters. What Newsom did do, to his credit, is to give inmate firefighters who have paroled the opportunity to work for CalFire. They have to have not committed any crimes since their release, but those who qualify can work for CalFire. There are a lot of people who feel that it wasn't fair to have inmates risk their lives for $1 an hour. Now the ones who qualify can get a great job with good benefits.

As far as the prison closing in Susanville, there are actually two prisons there - only one is closing CCC, it was mainly used for training inmate firefighters but since there are fewer inmates who qualify for fire camp there is adequate space in the Folsom fire fighter training program to accommodate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California