Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 09:01 PM

925 posts, read 1,064,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
I find it amazing how many of these posters live allegedly “super happy lives” yet are on here constantly complaining about a place they don’t live. I think TX is a craphole, but guess how many posts I have in TX forums. I am too busy loving and living in California to waster time being negative about a random state. So weird.

How can you be so happy, yet have all this negative energy.
Thank you!! Agree with you completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 09:38 PM

11,431 posts, read 5,973,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
I find it amazing how many of these posters live allegedly “super happy lives” yet are on here constantly complaining about a place they don’t live. I think TX is a craphole, but guess how many posts I have in TX forums. I am too busy loving and living in California to waster time being negative about a random state. So weird.

How can you be so happy, yet have all this negative energy.
I find it amazing when people constantly complain about other people constantly complaining.

As for your complaint, it makes me even super happier to frequently remember all the crap I no longer must endure since leaving California. That is not negative energy. It is positive energy to remember the problems, trials, garbage, and oppression I am now free from here in Tennessee, after leaving California.

This week’s example. When I pay $76 to register my 6-year old car in Tennessee that cost $250 last year in California, that triggers my positive happiness. Every day I get a little reminder. It takes no effort at all and adds to my happiness.

You make it sound like it takes work to note how much better my life is since leaving California. Nope. It is as easy as breathing.

I am thrilled that you are happy in California. I wish many more people would move to California and all be happy together.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 05-20-2021 at 09:50 PM..

Old 05-20-2021, 10:01 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I find it amazing when people constantly complain about other people constantly complaining.

As for your complaint, it makes me even super happier to frequently remember all the crap I no longer must endure since leaving California. That is not negative energy. It is positive energy to remember the problems, trials, garbage, and oppression I am now free from here in Tennessee, after leaving California.

This week’s example. When I pay $76 to register my 6-year old car in Tennessee that cost $250 last year in California, that triggers my positive happiness. Every day I get a little reminder. It takes no effort at all and adds to my happiness.

You make it sound like it takes work to note how much better my life is since leaving California. Nope. It is as easy as breathing.

I am thrilled that you are happy in California. I wish many more people would move to California and all be happy together.
Really? I don’t find it odd at all I am complaining about you complaining. Your complaining brings down the overall quality of the discussions and doesn’t add much to discussion. Furthermore, since you no longer live here, you have nothing to complain about. The alleged problems that you are happy to have avoided are mostly the same tripe repeated by several posters who no longer live here. And you don’t even know if they are still true as you have moved.

The fair-minded posters flag the problems themselves and give them a fair view. They also point out the positives and how those two forces counteract eqch other so people can make informed opinions.

Garbage troll posts do not accomplish that. I am not saying you are a troll, as I don’t remember reading anything by you. But there are multiple consistent trolls here.

When people come and ask honest questions about neighborhoods and areas, these posters provide one liners, which are mostly foxnews talking points.

That is not helpful and their posts drown out posters who actually want to be helpful.

So no, it is not odd at all that I am complaining about out of staters complaining.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:06 PM

21,728 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

So Igor, how would you describe the psychology behind your drive to ‘share’ your delight in your new found freedom? Why is it important to you to anonymously tell others who you don’t know?

Serious question.

Old 05-21-2021, 08:48 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,696,799 times
I'm glad there are carpetbaggers here trying to convince themselves that they didn't make a mistake moving to some boring flyover craphole. It makes it clear that is exactly what is going on, and aligns with what happens to most people who leave the golden state and can't find a way to come back.

I moved out of states I hated and never looked back. I also moved out of nice places (overseas) and I do sometimes visit their forums (though I try not to dump on them).

I mean, their opinions on CA have no merit, since they don't live here anymore, but the fact they're here giving it means their state must be too boring to even bother talking about. I can just go down the list of a CA complaint thread and see the crappiest states. Usually lots of TX, TN, NJ, OK, etc. Don't see too many FL's or NY's, so those states must be less dull.

And, back on topic (or not) I stopped by this thread to comment that it's looking a lot like 2007. Even though a great many more buyers are rich cash buyers these days, that doesn't really guarantee protection of housing prices. The bubble collapsed and deflated long before the majority of defaults got processed (and some never did).

While a cash buyer isn't going to walk away from a mortgage (since they don't have one) on an underwater home, they are still seeing one of their biggest assets depreciate, and will adjust spending habits to match.

Even though it "looks" like 2007, this go-around will be different. We have a interest-rate-and-inflation-driven bubble rather than a speculative bubble. CA is losing population yet prices are skyrocketing. Part of that is due to "positive" trends:
- Rich people moving in and paying more for the houses of poor people who moved out.
- Medium-high earners paying much more for homes due to low financing costs.
And part is due to negative trends:
- Limited new construction
- Rich people buying multiple properties because they're swimming in cash that inflation is rapidly depreciating.

When the Fed catches up to reality and realizes we've got runaway stagflation on our hands, this round of bubbly musical-chairs is going to come to a screeching halt, just like what happened in 2008 when the easy-money ARM pipeline shut off overnight.

Even a whiff of a hint that the fed will raise rates craters the market. Nobody is in cash, since cash is currently headed down the Venezuela path. A market plunge will scour out the "cash buyers" (who are actually just selling stocks to pay that cash). Higher interest rates will scour out the dual-incomes who now can't afford the mortgage payment of a 850K starter home at 4-5-6% that they could at 2.5%.

There won't be more houses for sale, supply will stay "constrained" at present levels, or even fall as the reality sets in that nobody's buying a 2br 1ba at 899,250 in a world where interest rates have more than doubled and the market has shed a good chunk of it's value, and those "let's see what we can get for it" sellers leave the market. However, there will be nil buyers. We will see the 2008 Wily-e-Coyote run off a cliff but not realize you're in free-fall for a few months before gravity reasserts itself. It will be an exciting time, and it is VERY nigh.

Pre-pandemic, I was putting the bubble popping out at about 1-2 years. Now, I'd bet we're within 12 months, and probably significantly sooner. Once the summer of excess ends (where it is likely that "revenge/stimulus travel/buying" will blow the inflation doors off) and the Fed can't deny reality anymore, that's when I'd expect the downturn to start. Then again, the old adage that the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent still applies.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:15 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I'm glad there are carpetbaggers here trying to convince themselves that they didn't make a mistake moving to some boring flyover craphole. It makes it clear that is exactly what is going on, and aligns with what happens to most people who leave the golden state and can't find a way to come back.

I moved out of states I hated and never looked back. I also moved out of nice places (overseas) and I do sometimes visit their forums (though I try not to dump on them).

I mean, their opinions on CA have no merit, since they don't live here anymore, but the fact they're here giving it means their state must be too boring to even bother talking about. I can just go down the list of a CA complaint thread and see the crappiest states. Usually lots of TX, TN, NJ, OK, etc. Don't see too many FL's or NY's, so those states must be less dull.

And, back on topic (or not) I stopped by this thread to comment that it's looking a lot like 2007. Even though a great many more buyers are rich cash buyers these days, that doesn't really guarantee protection of housing prices. The bubble collapsed and deflated long before the majority of defaults got processed (and some never did).

While a cash buyer isn't going to walk away from a mortgage (since they don't have one) on an underwater home, they are still seeing one of their biggest assets depreciate, and will adjust spending habits to match.

Even though it "looks" like 2007, this go-around will be different. We have a interest-rate-and-inflation-driven bubble rather than a speculative bubble. CA is losing population yet prices are skyrocketing. Part of that is due to "positive" trends:
- Rich people moving in and paying more for the houses of poor people who moved out.
- Medium-high earners paying much more for homes due to low financing costs.
And part is due to negative trends:
- Limited new construction
- Rich people buying multiple properties because they're swimming in cash that inflation is rapidly depreciating.

When the Fed catches up to reality and realizes we've got runaway stagflation on our hands, this round of bubbly musical-chairs is going to come to a screeching halt, just like what happened in 2008 when the easy-money ARM pipeline shut off overnight.

Even a whiff of a hint that the fed will raise rates craters the market. Nobody is in cash, since cash is currently headed down the Venezuela path. A market plunge will scour out the "cash buyers" (who are actually just selling stocks to pay that cash). Higher interest rates will scour out the dual-incomes who now can't afford the mortgage payment of a 850K starter home at 4-5-6% that they could at 2.5%.

There won't be more houses for sale, supply will stay "constrained" at present levels, or even fall as the reality sets in that nobody's buying a 2br 1ba at 899,250 in a world where interest rates have more than doubled and the market has shed a good chunk of it's value, and those "let's see what we can get for it" sellers leave the market. However, there will be nil buyers. We will see the 2008 Wily-e-Coyote run off a cliff but not realize you're in free-fall for a few months before gravity reasserts itself. It will be an exciting time, and it is VERY nigh.

Pre-pandemic, I was putting the bubble popping out at about 1-2 years. Now, I'd bet we're within 12 months, and probably significantly sooner. Once the summer of excess ends (where it is likely that "revenge/stimulus travel/buying" will blow the inflation doors off) and the Fed can't deny reality anymore, that's when I'd expect the downturn to start. Then again, the old adage that the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent still applies.
I agree. That’s why while I love Idaho I’m renting here for at least a year. Only a idiot would buy a house right now.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:24 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
1 in 4 Californians can afford to buy a home here now. That's serious. Fighting over whether you're still living here or moved, whether you're offended by outsiders coming to this section to complain or rejoice, and all the other superficial things people love to gripe about around here really isn't important. At least, not to me. This is starting to feel like 2005 again. At least today 25% can still buy a home whereas in 2005, it was 3%. Can't help wonder if we're heading down that road again.

If you're lucky enough to be in the group that either has a home or can buy a home, kudos. For the rest, I do feel bad, especially if you want to but just can't get your foot in the door. I have no answers.

Old 05-21-2021, 12:17 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
These numbers are amazing. Most of the state is in a buying frenzy.

Data for April was released today. The most expensive counties saw the biggest rise in sales overall, most doubling.

County...............April 2021 Median Price
Del Norte County..................$364,170(-4.3%)

CALIFORNIA.........................$813,980(+65.1% )

Source: California Association of Realtors
Del Norte County is down? Looks like I got work to do!

On a more serious note, the figures posted above, are for April 2021. As quickly as the RE market is moving, these #'s are obsolete. (The current #'s are even higher...)

EDITED TO ADD~ Looks like Crescent City is ripe for an RE boom. I actually started looking at property adjacent to Lake Earl. Darn nice area.

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 05-21-2021 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: added stuff, ya know?

Old 05-21-2021, 05:36 PM

130 posts, read 159,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
These numbers are amazing. Most of the state is in a buying frenzy.

Data for April was released today. The most expensive counties saw the biggest rise in sales overall, most doubling.

County...............April 2021 Median Price(Year-over-Year Sales Growth)
San Mateo County...........$2,001,000(+136.9%)
San Francisco County......$1,800,000(+165.7%)
Santa Clara County..........$1,650,000(+121.3%)
Marin County....................$1,610,000(+139.3%)
Alameda County...............$1,300,000(+88.4%)
Santa Cruz County............$1,265,000(+117.0%)
Orange County..................$1,100,000(+107.9%)
Santa Barbara County.......$1,100,000(+77.0%)
Contra Costa County...........$990,000)(+95.6%)
Mono County.......................$974,000(+233.3%)
Napa County........................$950,000(+89.2%)
Ventura County....................$865,120(+70.3%)
Monterey County.................$840,000(+76.0%)
San Diego County................$825,120(+55.2%)
San Luis Obispo County.......$799,950(+72.4%)
Sonoma County...................$777,500(+126.5%)
San Benito County...............$722,500(+128.6%)
Los Angeles County.............$707,050(+65.8%)
El Dorado County.................$654,750(+67.5%)
Placer County.......................$625,000(+80.6%)
Yolo County..........................$566,000(+47.4%)
Nevada County.....................$555,000(+113.9%)
Solano County......................$555,000(+21.4%)
Riverside County..................$545,500(+61.9%)
Mendocino County...............$528,000(+32.4%)
Sacramento County.............$490,000(+48.1%)
San Joaquin County.............$490,000(+18.1%)
Calaveras County.................$475,000(+45.6%)
Butte County........................$438,500(+26.1%)
Humboldt County.................$425,000(+49.3%)
Stanislaus County................$419,000(+15.9%)
Amador County....................$415,000(+89.2%)
Sutter County.......................$410,000(-6.3%)
San Bernardino County........$405,000(+38.8%)
Plumas County.....................$400,000(+86.4%)
Yuba County.........................$384,700(+4.2%)
Madera County......,..............$378,000(+29.5%)
Tuolomne County.................$367,000(+64.4%)
Del Norte County..................$364,170(-4.3%)
Tehama County....................$362,000(+16.7%)
Fresno County......................$355,000(+28.5%)
Mariposa County..................$343,200(+69.2%)
Shasta County......................$350,000(+35.6%)
Merced County.....................$325,000(+0.8%)
Lake County.........................$324,950(+57.4%)
Kern County..........................$315,000(+59.0%)
Tulare County.......................$309,600(+18.9%)
Glenn County........................$302,500(+60.0%)
Siskiyou County....................$302,500(+107.1%)
Lassen County......................$253,000(+53.3%)

CALIFORNIA.........................$813,980(+65.1% )

Source: California Association of Realtors
Yep I have been buying and holding.
I just bought a few properties in Sacramento, Fresno, and Riverside areas for my kids in college after they graduate this year and some complexes to rent etc. Remote work has changed the game!
Dumping a lot of stocks and Bitcoin/cryptos last month to add more of that sweet Californian luxury real estate.
The High speed rail just got more of that Cali Money funding from the state which hopefully one day will be upgraded or add a hyperloop on top

Old 05-21-2021, 05:49 PM

130 posts, read 159,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You sure seem to be obsessed with money. If it's not the price of homes, it's the number of millionaires and billionaires living in the state. What the deal? Every thread you start has to do with it.
For some money is like a hobby collecting cars, cards etc. Money is like points in a video game The more you acquire over time the more cushion you have, more investments, better future for yourself and your family. The more you learn about money and one's craft. The more you earn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California