Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:10 AM

174 posts, read 429,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
I was in your situation 5 years ago, having just retired and living on an equity-rich piece of property in Palo Alto.

I sold my home and moved to a beautiful town between Santa Fe and Albuquerque, NM.

State taxes here are half of what they were in CA, I was able to purchase a beautiful house on 1 1/2 acres, and have access to nearby hospitals, shopping, hiking and fishing. My place has practically doubled in value since I moved in.

The down side of the move is that I miss my friends who come out and visit every once in a while. I do not miss the Bay Area, which surprises me.

If I ever decide to move back, it will be to a semi-rural area --maybe Sonoma or San Juan Bautista-- where I will probably rent, although I could afford to buy a small place.
We thought about AZ, but we believe that in any case, the 'global warming' phenon, whether an environmental issue, or merely a 'normal earth cycle' (see how I tried to avoid politics) might raise the temp in places like AZ to an unacceptable level. I mean, anything over about 90 feels hot to me, and even if acclimated, 100 is just getting too warm, and I know people in Surprise, and in Green Valley, and they both experience rather cold winters, also. So, our thinking is that the NW area of the country is probably what we want. Its a matter of balancing taxes, cost of homes, proximity of hospitals, shopping, and a low crime rate, primarily. I understand that most folks who leave CA might price themselves out of coming back. We are still thinking about inland Mendocino County, or maybe inland Humboldt County. By inland, I mean where the fog has a tendency to stop, and the sun appears most of the time. Not necessarily more than 5-10 miles in. No work, no kids, just retirement. Now it might come to pass that we might want to pick up some work on a limited part-time basis, to supplement retirement, but we are flexible, and can find stuff to do. We are both educated, and can do anything from working a day a week in a bookstore, to a position with a County or Court or some other local Govt position, should such a horse get into the race.

So, thats where we are at. Our beach access, surf-view home on the Mendocino coast is on the market, so as offers appear, judgements will have to be initiated. I'm pretty sure the right thing will show up in a timely fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California