Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 01:07 PM

9 posts, read 17,664 times

Advertisements

Hello! I do apologize for another "where should we live" post but I've browsed a bit to see if anyone noted similar needs/wants and did discover some helpful threads about Felton. I'm curious on additional information on this area as well as suggestions for other cities we should consider.

Budget: 800k or preferably less for a not sorely in need of renos 2-3 bedroom home. More important than indoor space is a third of an acre or so outdoor space to train our dogs and enjoy our work days.

About us: Married, mid 30s, not having kids, very outdoorsy, dog people, lol. We both have solid careers with fully remote companies, so we are not very concerned with the local job markets. My husband sails - we currently live in Atlanta, GA and options to get out on the water are quite limited. We'd like to be within 1-2 hrs from sailing possibilities but ideally we'd be as close to the coast as our budget allows. I bike (bikejore) & hike with my dogs a lot so access to (non-paved) biking and hiking trails are important. I currently drive 1-1.5 hrs out of the city to enjoy these activities and would prefer a little more...in my backyard.

Weather wise, we are so over 300 days of 90 degree, muggy, sticky weather (ok, a slight exaggeration, but what it often feels like!) A more moderate climate is the main appeal for a cross-country move with more cooler days to be outside with our northern breed dogs. I can handle misty/overcast - it rains a ton and often heavy here in Georgia (and trails usually shut down for 24 hours after a rain) so it will be nice to have "rainy" days that we can still get outside.

We are liberal and wouldn't do well in an extremely red area. We like good food (and delivery) options, as well as an enjoyable town/square/community area to relax over a glass of wine or coffee. Access to fresh vegetables and good meats - a nice farmers market or grocery store or two is highly desired.

Safety: Living in Atlanta, we are acutely aware of how different neighborhoods matter in terms of property theft. We do not want to have to excessively worry about break-ins. A break-in could mean losing our dogs forever (With Siberian Huskies, a door left open and they could be 2 counties away in a couple of hours.) So, an area with low property theft is crucial. Additionally, we would not want to worry a great deal about fires or flooding.

So, what do you think? Is there somewhere in California that might suit us well and is within our budget?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 01:11 PM

127,719 posts, read 11,776,439 times
The area around Lake Oroville might fit, there is a Farmers market twice a week, & the lake has sailing at the Forebay. The downtown area is getting better every year. It is about an hour or so from Sacramento, Chico is also close by. Of course it is not near the Ocean, but maybe a lake would fit your needs.

Oh disregard, we get very hot summers. I missed that part of your post.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:24 PM

Wow! I see you already have 107 degrees in the forecast for this week! That is nuts! Is that normal for this time of year?

Old 06-14-2021, 02:32 PM

21,575 posts, read 16,079,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerabobeera View Post
Hello! I do apologize for another "where should we live" post but I've browsed a bit to see if anyone noted similar needs/wants and did discover some helpful threads about Felton. I'm curious on additional information on this area as well as suggestions for other cities we should consider.

Budget: 800k or preferably less for a not sorely in need of renos 2-3 bedroom home. More important than indoor space is a third of an acre or so outdoor space to train our dogs and enjoy our work days.

About us: Married, mid 30s, not having kids, very outdoorsy, dog people, lol. We both have solid careers with fully remote companies, so we are not very concerned with the local job markets. My husband sails - we currently live in Atlanta, GA and options to get out on the water are quite limited. We'd like to be within 1-2 hrs from sailing possibilities but ideally we'd be as close to the coast as our budget allows. I bike (bikejore) & hike with my dogs a lot so access to (non-paved) biking and hiking trails are important. I currently drive 1-1.5 hrs out of the city to enjoy these activities and would prefer a little more...in my backyard.

Weather wise, we are so over 300 days of 90 degree, muggy, sticky weather (ok, a slight exaggeration, but what it often feels like!) A more moderate climate is the main appeal for a cross-country move with more cooler days to be outside with our northern breed dogs. I can handle misty/overcast - it rains a ton and often heavy here in Georgia (and trails usually shut down for 24 hours after a rain) so it will be nice to have "rainy" days that we can still get outside.

We are liberal and wouldn't do well in an extremely red area. We like good food (and delivery) options, as well as an enjoyable town/square/community area to relax over a glass of wine or coffee. Access to fresh vegetables and good meats - a nice farmers market or grocery store or two is highly desired.

Safety: Living in Atlanta, we are acutely aware of how different neighborhoods matter in terms of property theft. We do not want to have to excessively worry about break-ins. A break-in could mean losing our dogs forever (With Siberian Huskies, a door left open and they could be 2 counties away in a couple of hours.) So, an area with low property theft is crucial. Additionally, we would not want to worry a great deal about fires or flooding.

So, what do you think? Is there somewhere in California that might suit us well and is within our budget?

Thanks!!!
Portland …

(That’s in California isn’t it? )

Old 06-14-2021, 02:41 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,475,392 times
How close to an urban area do you want to be? You definitely want to stay near the coast, but I don't think anything in Southern California will work because it's going to be sunnier and warmer than you (and especially your dogs) like. I don't think you will want to go any further south than Morro Bay. Some places that come to mind are Morro Bay, Cambria, Monterey and environs, Felton and thereabouts, and a variety of small coastal towns from Bodega Bay north to Arcata. Prices here in the Bay Area are out of control, so you won't find something to your liking in towns like Half Moon Bay or Pacifica.

Old 06-14-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
How close to an urban area do you want to be? You definitely want to stay near the coast, but I don't think anything in Southern California will work because it's going to be sunnier and warmer than you (and especially your dogs) like. I don't think you will want to go any further south than Morro Bay. Some places that come to mind are Morro Bay, Cambria, Monterey and environs, Felton and thereabouts, and a variety of small coastal towns from Bodega Bay north to Arcata. Prices here in the Bay Area are out of control, so you won't find something to your liking in towns like Half Moon Bay or Pacifica.
Felton is really looking appealing so I'm glad you mention it! I will check out these other costal towns as well. Thank you so much!

Edit: as far as close to urban areas - as close as we can afford, really. We actually spend all of our time/eat/shop in a 25k pop town of Decatur which is adjacent/runs into Atlanta. I can't remember the last time I went to Midtown though. So we don't need a huge city, but we do want to have opportunities to meet other folks, be able to easily purchase or hire help for home repair needs, and order delivery Indian on rainy Saturday nights in

Old 06-14-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

Portland …

(That’s in California isn’t it? )
Hahahaha... I have also been looking at Portland real estate...

Old 06-14-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Hahahaha... I have also been looking at Portland real estate...
Good call, eh?

Old 06-14-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Quote:
Felton is really looking appealing so I'm glad you mention it! I will check out these other costal towns as well. Thank you so much!

Edit: as far as close to urban areas - as close as we can afford, really. We actually spend all of our time/eat/shop in a 25k pop town of Decatur which is adjacent/runs into Atlanta. I can't remember the last time I went to Midtown though. So we don't need a huge city, but we do want to have opportunities to meet other folks, be able to easily purchase or hire help for home repair needs, and order delivery Indian on rainy Saturday nights in
So, those central coast towns of Morro Bay and Cambria are wonderful weather for OP / dogs. But they aren’t culturally vibrant. And the only sailing in the region is in and out of Morro Bay and truly terrible. The Bay is shallow and the only channels with any depth are also the big mooring field. The bar to get to open ocean is fine some days and one of the most infamously dangerous in California on many others … once out, the ocean is cold, harsh, rough, and generally unpleasant. I love that stretch of coast and keep a slip for my boat in Morro Bay to live aboard part time as an escape from San Diego city life. But not to sail.

Nearby San Luis Obispo might barely fill the bill for all but the proximity to sailing. But really, the central coast sailing element wants to take you north to Monterey Bay maybe … but even that is kinda limited for fun on the water.

All said above, sailing in California is best from Santa Barbara and south … if you can afford the real estate.

OP, if you can afford San Diego, you couldn’t beat it with a stick Best year round weather in the world. Fantastic sailing.

But no where on the west coast compares to Puget Sound in Washington for sailing from May through September. Problem is, from October to May, the weather is ugly and depressing. I live in San Diego / Morro Bay during those ugly months. Keep a place in the San Juan islands from May June through September.

I am a live aboard. With dog.

Good luck in your search.

P. S. Portland sailing venues are on Columbia river. I have friends who did that for many years and loved it. I have sailed with them there. While nice … um, not nice enough to beat my other venues. Not even close.

Old 06-14-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
So, those central coast towns of Morro Bay and Cambria are wonderful weather for OP / dogs. But they aren’t culturally vibrant. And the only sailing in the region is in and out of Morro Bay and truly terrible. The Bay is shallow and the only channels with any depth are also the big mooring field. The bar to get to open ocean is fine some days and one of the most infamously dangerous in California on many others … once out, the ocean is cold, harsh, rough, and generally unpleasant. I love that stretch of coast and keep a slip for my boat in Morro Bay to live aboard part time as an escape from San Diego city life. But not to sail.

Nearby San Luis Obispo might barely fill the bill for all but the proximity to sailing. But really, the central coast sailing element wants to take you north to Monterey Bay maybe … but even that is kinda limited for fun on the water.

All said above, sailing in California is best from Santa Barbara and south … if you can afford the real estate.

OP, if you can afford San Diego, you couldn’t beat it with a stick Best year round weather in the world. Fantastic sailing.

But no where on the west coast compares to Puget Sound in Washington for sailing from May through September. Problem is, from October to May, the weather is ugly and depressing. I live in San Diego / Morro Bay during those ugly months. Keep a place in the San Juan islands from May June through September.

I am a live aboard. With dog.

Good luck in your search.

P. S. Portland sailing venues are on Columbia river. I have friends who did that for many years and loved it. I have sailed with them there. While nice … um, not nice enough to beat my other venues. Not even close.
What a perfect person to provide feedback! Thank you. The sailing was a bit of concern with that area of California. We are heavily considering Washington - Bellingham, Anacortes, possibly Port Townsend, but the year-round weather of California is more appealing so I wanted to at least do my homework. My husband keeps encouraging me to not focus exclusively on the sailing aspect - but I'd love to see him out in his happy place more often.

We will keep San Diego in mind.

Thanks, again - your comments were extremely helpful.

PS If you ever need help on your boat - my husband is always trying to help crew!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California