U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 02:47 PM

675 posts, read 4,260,225 times

Advertisements

My friends and I want to plan a (probably) 2 day, one night trip to Yosemite. I've been there before a couple times but they were trips not planned by me, and it's been awhile...so I have some questions.

Most of us are coming from out of state and don't have camping gear to bring along. What are the options for staying in Yosemite for one night? I am assuming there are cabins or something. This would be most likely July 6-7. It now being almost June, is this too late to start planning something?

We are not looking to pay a lot of money. We don't have a budget, per se, but what kind of costs would we be looking at for the different lodging options?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 03:02 PM

6,413 posts, read 9,127,963 times
I planned a meet for a group of honda ridgeline enthusiasts and we decided on Yosemite for our meet. If you want to assure yourselves of good sites, you need to make reservations well in advance, though the park is open 365 days a years as long as there is room. Check out this site and its links.

Yosemite National Park - Camping Reservations (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 05-12-2008, 04:02 PM

790 posts, read 3,707,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2882 View Post
My friends and I want to plan a (probably) 2 day, one night trip to Yosemite. I've been there before a couple times but they were trips not planned by me, and it's been awhile...so I have some questions.

Most of us are coming from out of state and don't have camping gear to bring along. What are the options for staying in Yosemite for one night? I am assuming there are cabins or something. This would be most likely July 6-7. It now being almost June, is this too late to start planning something?

We are not looking to pay a lot of money. We don't have a budget, per se, but what kind of costs would we be looking at for the different lodging options?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I recommend Curry Village. It's right in the valley with easy access to everything.
There are a variety of different cabins and also heavy duty "tents" but with floors and dressers and such. I quess they're like military tents. They're heated too if i'm remembering correctly. And some of them sleep up to ... well i can't remember at the moment but i think you'll be able to find one that has room for all of you. The tents are the least expensive way to go. With all of you chipping in it shouldn't be that expensive. There's a good and not too expensive self-serve dining room as well.
Some of the cabins have there own bathrooms but it's easy if you're in one that doesn't have a bathroom because they have very good facilities with showers too.
Hurry up. You're planning a trip to Yosemite at the most crazy busy time of the year. It will be crowded at Curry Village but it's a fun place with alot of different people from all over the place. Families, hikers, climbers, loafers, etc.
Have fun. Make reservations soon!

Old 05-12-2008, 10:42 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,448,112 times
You also have the option of staying in a hotel/motel in one of the nearby cities or towns. Fish Camp, Oakhurst, Coarsegold, and Fresno are along highway 41 south of the park. Mariposa, Sonora, and Merced are northwest of the park. All the places mentioned so far are within an hour of parts of the park, including the famous Yosemite Valley. Lee Vining is east of the park, but furthest from most of the park's amenities, especially Yosemite Valley. Since the park is so big, though, you'll probably want more than two days to see it, if there's any way you can make that happen. Otherwise, you'll just have to decide what you want to see for now, and see more of it another time.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:53 AM

1,504 posts, read 5,472,292 times
You could spend anywhere between $50 and $200-300, depending on the location and the amount of amenities you expect. A hotel room or a small vacation house in or near Yosemite Valley would cost $200 or thereabouts per night. A cabin with shared bathroom and shower inside the park could be ~$100. For $50 you could set up a tent at one of the campgrounds (although, campground spots are usually reserved well in advance, it may be too late) or get a room in a chain motel in Fresno or Merced.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:28 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,305,636 times
I really liked the Yosemite Lodge. Or, if you can afford it, and it's very expensive, stay at the Ahwahnee Hotel. Even if you don't stay at the Ahwahnee, if you want a memorable dinner eat at the hotel's dining room, and DINE OUT ON THE PATIO!!!! It's incredible!

I found this good list of all the lodging in and nearby the park. It's very comprehensive. I recommend taking one of the options inside the park. Have a nice trip!

Yosemite National Park Lodging

Or get a campsite. I don't have anything to add on that subject that hasn't been discussed above.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:42 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,355,905 times
I dont know much about staying inside Yosemite park, we stay in June Lake. But, there is an awesome place for Sunday brunch: Ahwahnee Lodge. Its so good & not too expensive! We ALWAYS go there for brunch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California