Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 09:43 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnofresno View Post
Because it doesn't stand for a city in Columbia. What else could it stand for?
Quote:
This argument tells me 2 things. 1 your an idiot for getting clowned with no evidence needed. 2 you don't go to the beach often
Yo slick ... take this in real slow ... roll it around in your head and see if it sticks to anything in there: the fact that a guy in a video has a shirt that has the word "Cali" on it does not translate to everyone in the world knowing what the word stands for ... and although many may know that it refers to California, that is not evidence that everyone in California, let alone in the world, agrees with the use of the term as preferential.

That's the point. One person in a video, wearing one shirt, is just that: one person ... one person does not constitute "everybody". As demonstrated by the Urban Dictionary making a negative assessment and by the previous thread I linked on preference / distaste for the moniker "Cali", there are quite a lot of people who dislike the use. If you like it -- knock yourself out. If you think that "everyone" agrees with you because you saw the sobriquet on a t-shirt in a video, you need to get out of Fresno a bit and travel the rest of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 10:02 PM

306 posts, read 603,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Yo slick ... take this in real slow ... roll it around in your head and see if it sticks to anything in there: the fact that a guy in a video has a shirt that has the word "Cali" on it does not translate to everyone in the world knowing what the word stands for ... and although many may know that it refers to California, that is not evidence that everyone in California, let alone in the world, agrees with the use of the term as preferential.

That's the point. One person in a video, wearing one shirt, is just that: one person ... one person does not constitute "everybody". As demonstrated by the Urban Dictionary making a negative assessment and by the previous thread I linked on preference / distaste for the moniker "Cali", there are quite a lot of people who dislike the use. If you like it -- knock yourself out. If you think that "everyone" agrees with you because you saw the sobriquet on a t-shirt in a video, you need to get out of Fresno a bit and travel the rest of the state.
You guys look like morons. You argue something then post evidence of the exact opposite. It's like stealing candy from a baby. Your better off looking at my other threads to find a mistake because you my friend are toast. Words of wisdom: Never argue and then post something that contadicts your arguement. It's tacky.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:06 PM

306 posts, read 603,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
this post tells me three things: reason went right, fresnofresno went left, this is the guy that thinks there is a "hood" in Nipomo and that the NIPAs gangs are something more than strawberry pickers, and teachers need to stress the differences between your, and you're .
I'm going going back back to Cali Cali

Old 09-25-2011, 10:15 PM

464 posts, read 832,444 times
Default You have all been quite busy, I see...

...and yeah, we'll be going back to Cali too (1/2 yr. here, 1/2 yr. HB)...after my husband picks up a couple of Vaqueros/HD Dayworkers/Minutemen to do some yardwork before we leave.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:32 PM

It's been real but I bid you all farewell on this thread. I requested it be closed since we all know now that Nipomo did not incorporate and am guilty myself of getting waaaay off topic. (It happens to the best of us.) Til we meet again, nullgeo, fresnofresno, .highnlite and although you gracefully bowed out earlier in our back-and-forth, BodegaHead.

But before I go, remember to make it a great day!

Old 09-26-2011, 07:23 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
Go tell that to Nipas 13.
I do, when I tell them which rows they will pick today, along with their daddies, momma's, sisters, brothers. You see, when you build your life around a phony machismo schtick, it leaves you rather short in the jobs skills department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitagreatday View Post
...and yeah, we'll be going back to Cali too (1/2 yr. here, 1/2 yr. HB)...after my husband picks up a couple of Vaqueros/HD Dayworkers/Minutemen to do some yardwork before we leave.
You did not know, and did not pick up from my posts that there are no more vaqueros, the tradition remains, among buckaroos in the the great basin, and among rich white men. I have another recommendation, or did I post it once before?

One should become educated one a subject before one posts, that avoids showing the world what one doesn't know.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
You guys look like morons. You argue something then post evidence of the exact opposite. It's like stealing candy from a baby. Your better off looking at my other threads to find a mistake because you my friend are toast. Words of wisdom: Never argue and then post something that contadicts your arguement. It's tacky.
You make no sense ... you present no evidence ... and you have 3 errors in just this one short post, so no need to hunt other posts.

That said, here, I did some more research for you. Not one of the well known sources below list Cali as anything but a name for a city in Columbia except the last reference, the Urban Dictionary -- which lists it as a city in Columbia and "an annoying name for California":

Cali definitions:
From Websters:
Ca·li

geographical name \ˈkä-lē\

Definition of CALI

city W Colombia on the Cauca pop 1,624,400

Cali - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

From the Free Dictionary:
Ca·li (käl) A city of western Colombia on the Cali River southwest of Bogotá. It was founded in 1536. Population: 2,140,000.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Cali (Spanish) [ˈkali]n (Placename) a city in SW Colombia: commercial centre in a rich agricultural region. Pop.: 2 077 386 (1999 est.)

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003
Santiago de Cali - definition of Santiago de Cali by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

From YourDictionary.com
Cali

city in SW Colombia: pop. 1,624,000

Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Cali - Definition with thesaurus, examples, audio and more.

From the Urban Dictionary:

1. Cali

1) One of the most important cities of Colombia, AKA The capital of Salsa. Unfortunately one of the most violent cities in the country.

2) An annoying name for California.
Urban Dictionary: cali

Old 09-26-2011, 11:04 AM

Unhappy Vaqueros and Cali...it's recipe time.

Cali we have definitely covered but why don't you start a new thread on the subject, nullgeo, since it's obvious you have some issues and that may help you work your way through them. Good Luck.

Vaqueros were simply Mexican cowhands and there's much history that you are not familiar with in your own region, .highnlite. If the extent of your job skills entails supervision of strawberry workers in the field, than I suggest you take your own advice and improve upon yourself as I was supervising strawberry pickers/packers at about 6-7 yrs. old and I suspect that you are older...but not necessarily wiser.

Lastly, since we're all way off subject, start a new thread on those things that seem to crawl under your skin. If not, you will force my hand to do as the Portlanders do and start posting recipes instead...some are good but some need tweaking but if you force me to...I will.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitagreatday View Post
Cali we have definitely covered but why don't you start a new thread on the subject, nullgeo, since it's obvious you have some issues and that may help you work your way through them. Good Luck.
Nah ... I only noodle around here for the fun of it ... I occasionally find it amusing to take issue with a noodge, like yourself (another definition for you to look up). Actually, you'll note I still haven't expressed any personal opinion about the term "Cali" ... all I have done is note that a couple of posters made a claim about the moniker that is unsubstantiated ... and I directed attention to sources. You keep coming back to it ... I'll keep coming back to it ... I'm retired. I have issues with noodges. Don't really care a bit what you call the state of California. I've picked up on several inferences you've made obliquely to other positions / opinions ... I'll trade blows with you endlessly just for something to do. Next?

btw: no need to start a new thread about calling California "Cali", there already was a thread devoted to the topic ... I linked it for you ... you didn't like it because it didn't support your position ... but there you have it

Last edited by nullgeo; 09-26-2011 at 12:09 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 12:30 PM

nullgeo, nobody actually cares any more about your Cali opinion but we all know that it irks you that nobody has asked since you've mentioned this 3-4 times already. Quit your trolling and try to get some positive attention out and about...it will do you some good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California