Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 05:08 PM

13 posts, read 37,144 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am in the process of interviewing for a position in Bakersfield. My family and 2 kids (3 and 4 years old) would be moving from Houston and I have never been to Bakersfield. I have searched and there seems to be some bashing of Bakersfield, but that seems to me to be coming from those who live in SF or LA.
What areas of town have the best public schools and are safest?
I'm not put off by the heat, after all we do have that in Houston, plus humidity that Bakersfield doesn't have.
How about daycare recommendations/cost? Currently my children go to a Mother's Day Out Program at a local church that really resembles a daycare that also includes some bible studies. Our children are doing incredibly well there, and the cost is very reasonable (about $1200/month for the 2 kids, 8:30am-4:30pm everyday.)
My wife and I spend our weekends keeping our kids occupied. We take them to the zoo, Children's Museums, parks, etc. My son is just starting Tee Ball and my daughter is taking Dance classes. Nothing out of the ordinary, just normal family activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 05:48 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,827 times
Bakersfield, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If I had to choose between Houston and Bakersfield I would stay in Houston. If you are going to move to CA then why pick one of the most undesirable places to live? You will pay the same high taxes there as you will in the more desirable locations of CA.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:57 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
I like the Northwest myself, my kids are grown so I'm not in the know about schools and daycare, I've lived here a long time and Bakersfield has been good to me.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:13 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I like the Northwest myself, my kids are grown so I'm not in the know about schools and daycare, I've lived here a long time and Bakersfield has been good to me.
I like the Northwest as well that is why I live in the Bay Area. Why do you consider Bakersfield to be the Northwest

Old 09-19-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I like the Northwest as well that is why I live in the Bay Area. Why do you consider Bakersfield to be the Northwest
I assume Roddog meant the Northwest side of Bakersfield....

Old 09-19-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
I assume Roddog meant the Northwest side of Bakersfield....
My bad

Where in Houston are you located?

Is the company going to fly you out here to interview? If so that would be a great opportunity to look around Bakersfield. The city is not spread out and huge like Houston so it is much easier to get a feel for the area if you come out for the interview.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:46 PM

I live in Spring near The Woodlands.
I have a 2nd Phone Screen on Thursday, then the next step would be a trip out to Bakersfield. The position is with a major Oil/Gas Company with many positions in Houston as well. The position in Bakersfield would open doors back in Houston one day. At least that is my thought process. Also, the company's HQ is in the Bay Area.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I live in Spring near The Woodlands.
I have a 2nd Phone Screen on Thursday, then the next step would be a trip out to Bakersfield. The position is with a major Oil/Gas Company with many positions in Houston as well. The position in Bakersfield would open doors back in Houston one day. At least that is my thought process. Also, the company's HQ is in the Bay Area.
I would seek a positon in the Bay Area if that is even an option. I think you and your family would really enjoy this area much better. I think once you travel to Bakersfield you will be able to see for yourself if it is a good fit.

Have you always lived in the greater Houston area?

Old 09-19-2011, 07:06 PM

I have lived in Houston for almost 15 years. I grew up in Missouri.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:39 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,696,385 times
Quote:
Hi,
I am in the process of interviewing for a position in Bakersfield. My family and 2 kids (3 and 4 years old) would be moving from Houston and I have never been to Bakersfield. I have searched and there seems to be some bashing of Bakersfield, but that seems to me to be coming from those who live in SF or LA.
What areas of town have the best public schools and are safest?
I'm not put off by the heat, after all we do have that in Houston, plus humidity that Bakersfield doesn't have.
How about daycare recommendations/cost? Currently my children go to a Mother's Day Out Program at a local church that really resembles a daycare that also includes some bible studies. Our children are doing incredibly well there, and the cost is very reasonable (about $1200/month for the 2 kids, 8:30am-4:30pm everyday.)
My wife and I spend our weekends keeping our kids occupied. We take them to the zoo, Children's Museums, parks, etc. My son is just starting Tee Ball and my daughter is taking Dance classes. Nothing out of the ordinary, just normal family activities.

You'll want to stick with the northwest and southwest areas of Bakersfield. Anything in the east side of Bakersfield is bound to have poorer school districts as these are classified as "ghetto" and "trashy." I hear Fruitvale and Norris are higher performing schools, but I cannot verified this. Check out this article for a good summary of STAR testing and the included link to the STAR website (Some school districts lose ground on STAR results - Bakersfield.com) for more results.

Also, check out this map of Bakersfield to see where the school districts are: Bakersfield School Districts - Google Maps

There are some good churches that provide daycare, but I dont' think they have them for parents during weekdays. The preschool I attended was a church I grew up attending for 21 years, but that was back in the Monterey bay area. I'm not sure if there are any churches like that around here.

Here is one I Googled for a Christian elementary school for two year olds: Twos « Olive Knolls Christian School (http://www.okcs.us/preschool/twos/ - broken link)

Here is a list of private Christian schools in the Kern County area: Kern County Private Elementary Schools - California/CA - Private School Review

As for weekend activities, you will find plenty of things to do for families. Big things like museums or city wide events are not quite the same in Bakersfield -- for that you'll have to take a short drive to Los Angeles, which is about 1-2 hours over the grapevine or head directly west to the central coast.

I saw that you mentioned about your company being headquartered in the bay area. I have a hunch of what company you work for, since my alma mater school has close ties to the company and Houston -- but I won't state the company name for the sake of your privacy.

I hope all this info helps. And by the way, I highly suggest renting first before purchasing a house. You have the option of either renting an apartment, but the rent prices for a house is relatively cheap today.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California