Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 04:08 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,054,214 times

Advertisements

Centennial will be located in the far-west of the Antelope Valley. It will be almost equidistant from Palmdale/Lancaster, Santa Clarita and the south end of Bakersfield.

If no more hurdles pop up, the next step will be the widening of SR-138 from it's junction with I-5 at Gorman to the 14 from two lanes to 4 or 6. This will also provide a quick crossover route for those going from Central California and Northern California to Las Vegas and Arizona.

Finper may finally be able to sell her Antelope Valley property!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 10:41 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Centennial will be located in the far-west of the Antelope Valley. It will be almost equidistant from Palmdale/Lancaster, Santa Clarita and the south end of Bakersfield.
Yep. Forgot about those areas. That will further widen the employment opportunities.

One of the other developments planned, Mountain Village, is interesting in that they plan for that community to be $1 million+ homes with two golf courses. I'm thinking that would be the last one to be built out. I believe that one is on the East side of the 5 opposite Frazier Park.

I am intrigued by the Centennial development in particular. I think it has potential given it's proximity to multiple job centers and higher elevation which is rare for Southern California. While in general I am anti new growth, the reality is I can wish for no new growth and stagnant population but in the end it's going to happen so might as well as make the best of the hand we are dealt.

Old 12-06-2021, 10:54 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,005,605 times
You could probably fit 80k people in squaw valley, fresno county. It's high elevation and beautiful, too. I'd like to see it become central Californias answer to Palm springs. But knowing how things work here, we'd be lucky for it just to be a soulless, mini Irvine.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:32 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
There is no gas hookups to these houses and it gets cold up there on top of the Grapevine. Stupid Democrats want all green energy thats barely enough now and will be woefully inadaquet when electric cars start to sell.
Plus all these houses with all electricity also making the grid a joke even more than it is now. Plus when the wind blows and it blows a lot up there they turn the electricity off and you freeze to death.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:57 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
squaw valley, fresno county.
Lotta grass up there. If you get my drift. Highway 180 was expanded, but the area is otherwise pretty remote and isolated and not really close to anything. I don't imagine much-if any-growth out there in the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
top of the Grapevine. Stupid Democrats want all green energy thats barely enough now and will be woefully inadaquet when electric cars start to sell.
Plus all these houses with all electricity also making the grid a joke even more than it is now. Plus when the wind blows and it blows a lot up there they turn the electricity off and you freeze to death.
I said it earlier and I'll say it again. No one is going to be be the skunk at the picnic and ask those questions, along with the water issue. The only things that matter are creating a few construction jobs and collecting the subsequent property taxes.

In a sane world, not a single new house, apartment, or condo should be built anywhere in CA until further notice because of this. There's already what? Thirty million straws in the proverbial bowl? What's another couple hundred thousand?

Old 12-09-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Lotta grass up there. If you get my drift. Highway 180 was expanded, but the area is otherwise pretty remote and isolated and not really close to anything. I don't imagine much-if any-growth out there in the foreseeable future.

I said it earlier and I'll say it again. No one is going to be be the skunk at the picnic and ask those questions, along with the water issue. The only things that matter are creating a few construction jobs and collecting the subsequent property taxes.

In a sane world, not a single new house, apartment, or condo should be built anywhere in CA until further notice because of this. There's already what? Thirty million straws in the proverbial bowl? What's another couple hundred thousand?
There's less snow in squaw valley than the grapevine. That's good for commuters and businesses. Squaw valley is half the size of Fresno proper, there's plenty of space to put condos there.
80k max population is nothing and could be filled up quickly. You build it up like a resort town to get attention(See Palm springs/Scottsdale). Another tract home, church filled town it shouldn't be.

Tulare county has foothills, but much of them are parts of parks, so you can't build on them.

Old 12-09-2021, 02:01 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,808 times
The problem with SV (aside from a small but vocal band of people demanding it be renamed) isn't the space, elevation, or weather.

It's the fact that it isn't close to anything. The nearest town of any size is probably Sanger, a good 25-30 min drive away, which itself isn't all that much.

Fresno, about 35-40+, depending on where you want to go. Going to build an all new, from scratch city out there where there's no business or economy or jobs of any kind?

Speaking of Tulare County, there was the Yokohl Valley proposal. That's a nice scenic area nestled in the foothills behind Exeter and Lindsay. Going through there then down into Springville and Porterville makes for a nice little day drive if you're ever in the area BTW.

And last I heard, the project was nixed once and for all. And for many of the reasons I mentioned above.

I'm not aware of any attempts to revive it at the moment.

Old 12-09-2021, 02:15 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,054,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
There is no gas hookups to these houses and it gets cold up there on top of the Grapevine. Stupid Democrats want all green energy thats barely enough now and will be woefully inadaquet when electric cars start to sell.
The picture up there is not as "bleak" as you make it out to be.

It's actually a gorgeous area, with lots of Oak stands, pine and joshua trees. None of those would grow there if your perception were reality.

It's not frozen tundra by any means...

Old 12-09-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
The problem with SV (aside from a small but vocal band of people demanding it be renamed) isn't the space, elevation, or weather.

It's the fact that it isn't close to anything. The nearest town of any size is probably Sanger, a good 25-30 min drive away, which itself isn't all that much.

Fresno, about 35-40+, depending on where you want to go. Going to build an all new, from scratch city out there where there's no business or economy or jobs of any kind?

Speaking of Tulare County, there was the Yokohl Valley proposal. That's a nice scenic area nestled in the foothills behind Exeter and Lindsay. Going through there then down into Springville and Porterville makes for a nice little day drive if you're ever in the area BTW.

And last I heard, the project was nixed once and for all. And for many of the reasons I mentioned above.

I'm not aware of any attempts to revive it at the moment.
Tulare has plenty of cheap, empty land. Why build in the foothills when you can expand Visalia or Tulare for much cheaper. Fresno/Clovis is a large, sprawly place. People are getting tired of the sprawl. Makes more sense to build up a community in rural Fresno county than Tulare county right now. When Visalia gets sprawly, developers will consider the foothills.

You don't build squaw valley like Clovis, Visalia, or Tulare, you build it up like Scottsdale/Palm springs. If you do that, people will WANT to visit it. And a tourism based economy means thered be less need for commuting.

Btw, this centennial is also the middle of nowhere. So is Palm springs.

Old 12-09-2021, 03:59 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:

In a sane world, not a single new house, apartment, or condo should be built anywhere in CA until further notice because of this.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California