U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 04:20 PM

24,920 posts, read 23,095,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Redding's recent political wackiness may be due in part to the influence of the extremely wacky Bethel Church.
I think it's a lot more than political wackiness. From the article posted in #16:

Does what happens in Redding matter in San Francisco or Los Angeles? It does. Imagine an alt-right elections official refusing to count mail-in ballots for a state or federal race, citing the conspiracy theory that they aren’t legal. Or a sheriff deciding he’s got the constitutional power to make whatever laws he or she wants. Where does it end?

We need to help elected officials like Moty, regardless of party. I probably wouldn’t vote for Moty if there was someone running to his left, but he’s a public servant with integrity, the “cream of the crop in Redding,” as Chamberlain puts it. We need good people of all opinions in politics, not whoever remains when militias and the alt-right have run off everyone they don’t like.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 04:45 PM

5,258 posts, read 2,665,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
There are a lot of right leaning moderates that live in the “money producing” areas.
Their voice is often unheard.
It is drowned out by small yet very vocal groups.

Yes they even like guns, hunting, car races and things like that.
They don’t support defund the police, or like an open border, or are fine with the massive homeless situation.
They support common sense and other than taking their money the far left has abandoned them.

As a member of a San Francisco union I know darn well that lots of the rank and file members are moderates.
Lots of other unions in the large cities are the same yet there is the large cash donations to the far left.
Might not be as blue as you think if the cash cow that unions are went dry for the far left.

I’m not saying that this is a hidden conservative stronghold or anything like that.
I’m just saying most of these insane leftist policies are not the views of most coastal people.

Most decent minded people here are moderate and somewhat independent.

It's not just 'right-leaning moderates', there's plenty of conservatives in coastal CA as well - especially Southern CA.. Trump got a 1.7 million votes in L.A./Orange counties combined, 600,000 in San Diego. That means there's significantly more Trump voters just in L.A. and Orange counties than in the entire state of Louisiana or Alabama. Now it's harder to find them in the Bay Area but even between Alameda, Contra Costa and Santa Clara there was over 500k Trump voters. And given how these things work demographically, you can easily run in social circles where that's a very notable presence.

The thing with politics in this country is that due to the 'first past the post' rule applied in most elections, the losing side in local politics often gets totally unrepresented and an area gets entirely defined by the winning 'team', so when people think CA they only think of its Democratic majority, same way people think of the deep South only as the Republican majority. Ironically, I've known both hardcore liberal people from rural Alabama and hardcore conservative people from urban SoCal as well as NYC.

Old 02-05-2022, 05:49 PM

4,200 posts, read 1,918,991 times
No,
I think I’m describing a group a bit more conservative than your mainstream California Democrats.

They just might not have a big banner on their front yard yelling to the world that “Jesus hates this or that”.
Like all good people all they really want is a square deal, freedom and an end to these stupid mandates and restrictions.

Oh and F those tweakers .

Old 02-05-2022, 07:31 PM

1,214 posts, read 782,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
There are a lot of right leaning moderates that live in the “money producing” areas.
Their voice is often unheard.
It is drowned out by small yet very vocal groups.

Yes they even like guns, hunting, car races and things like that.
They don’t support defund the police, or like an open border, or are fine with the massive homeless situation.
They support common sense and other than taking their money the far left has abandoned them.

As a member of a San Francisco union I know darn well that lots of the rank and file members are moderates.
Lots of other unions in the large cities are the same yet there is the large cash donations to the far left.
Might not be as blue as you think if the cash cow that unions are went dry for the far left.

I’m not saying that this is a hidden conservative stronghold or anything like that.
I’m just saying most of these insane leftist policies are not the views of most coastal people.

Most decent minded people here are moderate and somewhat independent.
I'm a registered Bay Republican. Not a huge gun fan(but don't care what others do). Detest public sector unions and construction beuracracy around here which is making this area unbearable. Permits for houses around here cost more than actual houses in other states (and are used primarily to feed public sector pork and pensions).

Covid rules--masking toddlers etc, houses full of illegals chaining their dogs up outside howling while they have parties till 4 am also **** me off. I don't mind homeless generally but don't like them camping on the street or shooting up or defecating in public which I unfortunately see around here more than I care to admit.

Otherwise I'm fairly socially liberal I can't be bothered to worry about which bathroom you identify with or if you're gay.

Hopefully will move soon though. A redder part of Southern CA is the goal.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:09 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,074,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
May they rot and burn in Texas.

Old 02-06-2022, 08:35 AM

24,920 posts, read 23,095,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
A redder part of Southern CA is the goal.
Not by this method, though, which looks to be the point of this thread.

Old 02-09-2022, 12:54 PM

1,057 posts, read 728,818 times
...And these are the people who want to break off and form the "State of Jefferson" ???

Old 02-09-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I like moderate republicans a lot.
Are there any actual moderate Republicans remaining? It seems like most have gone full MAGA/QAnon, at this point.

The Democratic Party is, by and large, a centrist party. As long as Schumer and Pelosi hold the reigns of power, it will be.

In most European countries, the Democratic Party would be equivalent to the center-right parties.

Old 02-09-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
I'm a registered Bay Republican. Not a huge gun fan(but don't care what others do). Detest public sector unions and construction beuracracy around here which is making this area unbearable. Permits for houses around here cost more than actual houses in other states (and are used primarily to feed public sector pork and pensions).

Covid rules--masking toddlers etc, houses full of illegals chaining their dogs up outside howling while they have parties till 4 am also **** me off. I don't mind homeless generally but don't like them camping on the street or shooting up or defecating in public which I unfortunately see around here more than I care to admit.

Otherwise I'm fairly socially liberal I can't be bothered to worry about which bathroom you identify with or if you're gay.

Hopefully will move soon though. A redder part of Southern CA is the goal.
You'd probably like the following areas in Southern California:

Santa Clarita / Castaic
Simi Valley / Moorpark
Thousand Oaks / Agoura Hills / Westlake Village
Ojai
Camarillo
the western Antelope Valley (Rancho Vista, Acton, Leona Valley, Quartz Hill)
Rancho Cucamonga / Upland
Redlands / Yucaipa / Cherry Valley
Banning
Corona / Norco / Eastvale
Temecula / Murrieta / Wildomar / Menifee / Lake Elsinore
Oceanside
Anaheim Hills / Yorba Linda / Brea
Rancho Mirage / Indio / LaQuinta
Poway / Escondido / Rancho Bernardo
Glendora / Azusa
Newport Beach / Irvine
Tehachapi

Old 02-09-2022, 06:39 PM

4,200 posts, read 1,918,991 times
The democrats are a centrist party?
Have you gone effing mad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California